Wetsuit

35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:59 PM

I have never bought a wetsuit and will need one pretty soon. Might y'all have a suggestions on where to find one at a good price?

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:02 PM

Spoken like a true northerner. Wetsuits, waders - what good are they, except to insulate you from the environment you wish to connect with?

#3 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:11 PM

I, myself, am currently shopping on eBay for a wetsuit.

Listed in category: Sporting Goods > Scuba, Snorkeling > Wet Suits > Men's >

I have had luck using Google to find size charts. Paste this
"mares site:scuba.com/resources/sizechart/" into Goggle,
change 'mares' to the brand name you might buy
and then search.

Also, add the specific wetsuits that are up for auction to your 'Items I'm watching'
then use the 'Bid with Bid assistant'.

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:13 AM

diversdirect.com

They have great prices. I bought an EVO 6-7mm full sleeve knee length top and farmer john for about 125 total in 2003. I've used it for over 50 dives for mussel surveys (alot of grinding along the substrate) 10 ocean dives, and over 100 snorkel trips. It has one tiny hole and well I'm not sure how it got there considering where it is.... :unsure: I've also bought masks and snorkels from them at better than dive shop prices.

#5 Guest_trygon_*

Guest_trygon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:28 AM

scuba.com, http://www.scuba.com....asp_category_2 , usually has a good collection of used wetsuits.

#6 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

I have a source for used wetsuits somewhere in my caving info. I will see if I can dig that out.

Later edit:

OK, here is cut-n-paste from an email. I have no experience with these people, but its hard to go wrong for $45.

Hello, our family runs a whitewater rafting business called Crab Apple Whitewater, Inc. We have run trips in Maine, Massachusetts and Vermont since 1983. For the past few seasons we have sold used wetsuits to cavers and caving clubs. Attached to this email is our current inventory of used suits and boots. The list includes 3mm and 5mm suits sized from Youth Small through XXXXL. Suits are priced according to wear, with $10 being the cheapest and $45 in “like new” condition. Manufacturers include Northwest River Supplies, Atlan, Henderson and Deep Sea.

We can meet individual and group orders. To determine sizing, we need height, weight, shoe size and we are good at getting the sizes correct.

Please forward this message to members of your grotto or club and let us know if you have any interest. These suits are in good condition, reasonably priced and are perfect for individual use, especially in caves where they take a beating!

References can be provided from cavers that have bought our suits in the past.

Frank and Jennifer Mooney
Crab Apple Whitewater, Inc.
413-625-2288 9am-4pm EST
www.crabapplewhitewater.com

Attention grottos: We have a lot of inexpensive smaller suits – XS and Small. Not as much demand for these sizes. If you have some kids that join your group occasionally or if you work with school programs, pick up several of these suits for the grotto to have and we will discount them even further!

#7 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

Two suggestions, and one is a little late;
First, dive shops often sell their rentals at the end of the season [now gone by]. A good way to pick up a used suit cheap in a setting where you can try on and compare several models.
Speaking of trying on suits, my second suggestion is, unless you have a very "off the rack" build, it REALLY pays to try on a wetsuit before buying. The colder the water you plan to dive in, the more important that becomes. You can try on 5 different X larges and get 5 different fits. That tiny little pocket of slack material across your back suddenly becomes very significant when you turn a certain way and 50 F water rushes down your spine. :shock:
Obviously if cost is not an issue, order one matched to your dimensions.

#8 Guest_MScooter_*

Guest_MScooter_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:47 PM

Wetsuits have to be tried on in person. The same model from the same brand can be cut differently. I can suggest O'neill wetsuits, and these guys have good sales on previous year models http://www.islandwat...ts_wetsuits.cfm .

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Thanks a ton guys. I now have another question. I'm rather sensitive to hypothermia. I turn blue before anyone else. I think I want a 5/3 suit since I don't want to ice snorkel and would like a suit for slightly warmer months in highland (cool) waters. Will the 5/3 suit be suitable for all of my needs?

#10 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:29 PM

Wetsuits have to be tried on in person. The same model from the same brand can be cut differently.

I second this. You may save $20 buying it over the Internet, but I'd be looking for a local dive shop.

Todd

#11 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:31 PM

For MOST places that you will go, this will be perfect. I would get a 5 mil hoodie too. Now the Hiwasse? Even with it, you'll get cold in the Hiwassee. But everyone gets cold in the Hiwassee :)

Todd

Thanks a ton guys. I now have another question. I'm rather sensitive to hypothermia. I turn blue before anyone else. I think I want a 5/3 suit since I don't want to ice snorkel and would like a suit for slightly warmer months in highland (cool) waters. Will the 5/3 suit be suitable for all of my needs?

#12 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:55 PM

Hoodies are the key! Not only do the help stave away ear infections but the amount of heat loss through your head is compounded in flowing water. I have a 3 mm and 5 mm hoodie and they go everywhere even during the hotest days of summer. I rarely go without it. It is much easier to just pull it up over your forehead or backwards temporarily, or take it off and stuff it inside your jacket. I don't think I can stress the ear infection thing enough either. From 2003-2005 every time I did not wear a hoodie I got an ear infection, and this ranged from saltwater, freshwater springs, to rivers of various quality. Yes cleaning your ears out helps tremendously but for 10 more bucks a hoody affords your a little more of a barrier. It doesn't keep it, nor is it supposed to, 100% completely dry but it sure helps. I use those silicone speedo plugs if I really want to keep nasty water out or I'm feeling congested. Speaking of keeping your ears clean, small bottles of peroxide and vinegar are always in my snorkel bag.

5/3 should cover most things. Alot of it depends on your latitude/climate. Early June in middle TN tailwaters (not hypolimentic release either) was about 62 F and in my 6/6 I was still pretty cold initially but it took a long day of 30-45 minute snorkels to get frigid. Casper and I did a pretty long day of consistent snorkeling in the Conassauga in March/April 2007 and boy was that cutting it for my like. Think water was in the low 50's. French Creek in late October with a 6/6 even for only 30 minutes at a time...now that is cold!

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:14 PM

And a full hoodie at that.

El Snorkelmeister has that beanie hoodie with the strap which covers his cranium, but not his neck and so forth.

http://www.nanfa.org.../casper-bag.jpg (like this)

http://www.nanfa.org...tang-casper.jpg (can't post one without the other)

http://www.nanfa.org...ga/july2001.htm (Well, the whole article is worth reading :) )

That was the difference between being in the water for another hour (and not even cold) and not on the Conasauga last spring. So you can only imagine the difference between with and without.

I hate putting them on, because I get sweaty fast. But man it is all the difference. Gloves help as well. But the big thing is the hoodie.

Todd

#14 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

Uland...
you have all the advice you need! Just get a suit and jump in. I have a bunch of suits here, some wore out and some outgrown, if you were to visit you could try out one. I'm worried about your turning blue quick. I do think some folks are "made" differently and just may not be able to stand it. 60 degrees is where i draw the line. It is very cold below that for sure and becomes miserable unless your watching a bunch of rainbow darters dance. :) I think a 3/5 suit would be a good all purpose suit. Gotta have a hood... that is the first thing i put one! It keeps the water out of your ears, keeps scum out of your hair, keeps your hair out of your mask, helps seal your mask... and the number one item: keeps you much warmer. oh yea, i wrap my mask in it which keeps it from being scratched while in my gear tubs. Even if im in shorts in the cement pond during the middle of summer i still have that hood on.
Another addition is getting a fleece skin undersuit which you put on first. about 75 bucks. then your suit slides over it easily adding another layer of comfort for colder waters. this also stops the down the spine inflows. The CFI guys taught me that.
Dont fuss about this too much, just get a suit and in all liklyhood your gonna wear it out and be getting another next year and the expense will not even concern you!
:)
Thanks Todd for the Conasauga Selzer memories. I sure do miss Jay DeLong. He really was an asset to NANFA when i first became involved. Him and i had an awesome time those 2 days. We counted about 24 species while in the Tellico and then another 2 or 3 from the BBQ deck overlooking the river.

First time snorkelers... it hard to beat the Conasauga in july and august. Clear water, 75 to 80 in temp, awesome fish. A good intro to the world beneath the surface. Now if you wanna do the HIwassee first... within 15 minutes you will not remember your name.

#15 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for ALL the help. I'm feeling much more comfortable about my purchase now. Hood it is and gloves as well.

#16 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:51 PM

Now if you wanna do the HIwassee first... within 15 minutes you will not remember your name.

15 minutes? Now Todd I understand, he is a northern boy like me, but you're not! Man I must be invincible to hypothermia because I was doing 4-6 hours a day 4 days in a row. The temperature doesn't increase that much in 10 miles downstream either; there are still trout hanging around.

Speaking of the Hiwassee...within the park boundaries and below Reliance...you didn't get hasseled for being in the water and snorkeling?

A good fitting cotton shirt is a good substitute to the pricey underskin.

#17 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2008 - 10:13 PM

Dont fuss about this too much, just get a suit and in all liklyhood your gonna wear it out and be getting another next year and the expense will not even concern you! :)

This is the simple Truth, when considering snorkellin'. There's no coming back :) I don't even bother seining from June to August. There's no need to sweat any more.

Man I still wish I would had the presence of mind to interview you Uland before and after that snorkel at Blue Heron.

Todd

#18 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:47 AM

This is the simple Truth, when considering snorkellin'. There's no coming back :) I don't even bother seining from June to August. There's no need to sweat any more.

Man I still wish I would had the presence of mind to interview you Uland before and after that snorkel at Blue Heron.

Todd

Ha! I would get a kick out of the results of an interview from that trip as well. I was skeptical about "the nuts" snorkeling about (as if driving 500 miles to see nondescript silvery minnows isn't nutty). Once I did it I was changed forever. Ever since the Blue Heron trip, I've been thinking of all of the local spots I can hit this year as well as all of the new photo opportunities. Undoubtedly viewing the fishes while in the water puts a new perspective on their natural lives. I suspect I will still seine in the warm months simply due to turbidity but once the water clears.....

I honestly can't thank you guys enough for getting me in that wetsuit and in the water.

#19 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:51 AM

Someday you guys should come up here and do some extreme snorkling New England style. We have some very cool saltwater stuff on our "cold" coast [North Shore] that you won't see anywhere south of Cape Cod. Snorkling under the wash of a nice clean four foot surf is an experience not to be missed for a true underwater adventurer. Braving the 55 F water in August can pay off after a long day of observing fish and fauna by ending with a meeting of our most famous marine invert - and a big tub of melted butter. :tongue: Ma is one of the few northeastern states with a recreational "bug" license.
You WILL want to be sure your wetsuit fits you though. No cotton shirt is gonna fill those voids when that cold water rushes down your spine.
After awhile it is possible to develop tolerence for the earlier stages of hypothermia. My goal is usually to try and get out of the water with enough manual dexterity left to get my car door open. Sometimes I do have to stand around in the parking lot for awhile until the shivering generates enough body heat to wake my fingers up. :biggrin:

#20 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:44 PM

I have a couple of more silly questions. I see one piece and two piece wetsuits. I recall using the two piece and liked it just fine. Is there an advantage of one over the other or is it just a matter of preference? I also noticed a couple of masks that don't extend over your nose. This type of mask interests me since my mustache creates a leak path for water to enter my mask. I wonder if anyone here has experience with this type of mask and if it might be suitable for riffle snorkeling. Any pitfalls to this type of mask (aside from water in my nose)?

Thanks again all, you're a great help.

edit for photo link of the mask style in question

http://www.leisurepr...ll/ASRSMCBK.JPG

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users