Wetsuit

35 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:00 PM

I see one piece and two piece wetsuits. I recall using the two piece and liked it just fine. Is there an advantage of one over the other or is it just a matter of preference?

Just personal preference in my mind. I prefer the one piece. 3/5 should be good, but then again I have been classed a polar bear because I'll wear a 3mm in 52 deg water (hood and gloves a must though). Even the people at work think I'm nuts :rolleyes:

I also noticed a couple of masks that don't extend over your nose. This type of mask interests me since my mustache creates a leak path for water to enter my mask. I wonder if anyone here has experience with this type of mask and if it might be suitable for riffle snorkeling. Any pitfalls to this type of mask (aside from water in my nose)?

I'd go full mask, just one less thing to worry about in case you find a stream with a nasal variant of the candiru. :twisted:
I have the full beard and mustache and have no leakage problems with my mask. Best bet is go to a dive shop and try various masks. Put the mask against your face (don't put the strap around your skull), inhale through your nose and look down at your toes. You should be able to find one that holds the seal and then you have a winner. :biggrin:

And never forget, temperature is a state of mind untill your brain goes numb and you forget who you are. :biggrin:

#22 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:57 AM

I like 2 piece because sometimes in warm water I just wear the top. Keeps your trunk warm but with way less buoyancy. Carrying around a 35 lb weight belt is my single most hated part of snorkling, even more than cold.
I know, you only want to snorkle riffles in small streams, right? Well, that's all well and good until the day you see a prize darter in the bottom of a 4 foot deep pool. Trying to cling to rocks on the bottom with one hand and both legs while trying to herd a fish into the net with your other two hands, all the while fighting the current gets frustrating. I'm not saying you'll be wanting 35 lbs of lead [especially in freshwater], but there will be times when the buoancy seems like a curse. Going without the bottoms helps.
I've never used or even seen used a noseless mask. I have a pretty full mustache and don't have trouble, as long as the mask fits as recommended above. The HUGE advantage of having your nose inside the mask is that when you do get a bit of seepage [as you inevitably will], you can just tilt your head up, press the top of the mask against your forehead with one hand and blow out your nose and you can clear even a full mask [for my dive certification I had to doff and don my mask first on the bottom of the pool and then in 30 feet of ocean water]. Sure, in a shallow riffle you can just lift your head out of the water and dump the mask, but why limit yourself? Diving/snorkling is like photography in that it starts as a tool for your main interest and soon becomes an interest in and of itself. If you have the means to combine your diving and photography, it gets even worse. :rolleyes:

#23 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:13 PM

My goal is usually to try and get out of the water with enough manual dexterity left to get my car door open.

I think I'll work on Grand Traverse Bay first :) lol!

Todd

#24 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:17 PM

For Ulands question... I have a set of bibs (are those the farmer johns?) that I'm thinking about getting a 7 mil top for. So it's nice to be flexible in that way (you could get a 3 mil and a 7 mil or just go with the bibs). But for the most part, that's just another set of equipment. I use my one piece the most.

Sorry for another double post. I keep doing something in Edit mode that make multiple posts. I guess I need to read everything first and not rely on Edit :)

Todd

#25 Guest_Seedy_*

Guest_Seedy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

For Ulands question... I have a set of bibs (are those the farmer johns?) t

Yes. Same thing. I used to have a number of different kinds and styles of suits for surfing and diving in California. Some of the high performance "thinner" suits made for surfing are probably ideal for floating a stream 3/4 and 4/5 with heat reflective metal woven into the chest and easy to get into and out of shoulder zipper. Whatever suit style you decide on, I also suggest getting a polypro "rash gaurd" to wear under your suit if you are going to be moving around a lot (otherwise you get wet suit "hickies" on your neck, armpits and other areas of high movement and tight fit...

I also second the "buoyancy" issue with super thick "farmer johns", and also agree that you must be able to clear your mask underwater (every certified scuba diver MUST be able to do this).

#26 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

I settled on a 5mm farmer john and very happy with the dry fit. It's never been wet so I can't really tell you that I like it but soon enough. I'm writing since I went to a local shop to select a mask and snorkel. Very helpful people. I tried on about 20 masks (that did not fit) with a salesperson before a fellow came out of the back to see what was going on. Apparently my eye sockets are a little funny and he caught it right away. He then pulled a mask off of the shelf that felt perfect and fit nicely. I was a bit taken aback by a non prescription mask at $95.00 (forget the $40.00 snorkel tube). I guess I want to justify a snorkel and mask that cost more than my wetsuit... How long should I expect a snorkel and mask to last? By the looks of it, I see no reason for a mask to go bad in time (aside from scratches) and the mouthpiece is replaceable on the tube.

Thanks again for the help and I did get a 3mm bib hood as well. Almost ready for the water.

#27 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 08:54 PM

It will last as long as you take care of it! Dont leave it on the car hood or by the river. Ive had mine for years. Protect from scratches as they are permanent. 100 bucks sounds like a lot but in the long run it is not if it fits well and does not leak. Snorkels wear out, leak, etc but they are cheap enough. Keep the gear out of heat and sun when your not wearing it, meaning dont leave it in a hot vehicle for weeks waiting for the next trip. Clean both w/ mild soap and water every few trips. Dont scratch the lens! I wrap my mask in my beanie so it does not rub against something.
Your gonna see things you never dreamed of.
:)
and then you will dream of them often.

casper

#28 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 09:19 PM

Uland,
Treat the mask like you would your camera and you will be able to leave it to your grandkids. :biggrin: :biggrin:

#29 Guest_airbrn1187_*

Guest_airbrn1187_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:46 AM

My dad still has his that he purchased over 30 years ago...it may look like something out of an old Bond movie but it still works great!

#30 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:49 AM

If you take care as directed [with heavy emphasis on "keep out of sun"] and don't store it so the skirt is crushed or out of shape, you will lose a good mask long before it wears out.
Speaking of which, when wading into high surf while carrying your gear, hold on the the mask strap. NOT JUST THE SNORKLE! :rolleyes:

#31 Guest_jdclarksc_*

Guest_jdclarksc_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 02:22 PM

Speaking of which, when wading into high surf while carrying your gear, hold on the the mask strap. NOT JUST THE SNORKLE! :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone found that lesson out the hard way :biggrin:

#32 Guest_wegl2001_*

Guest_wegl2001_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 10:38 AM

Do any of you guys use a prescription mask? How expensive are they? What are the other options for people who wear glasses?
David

#33 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2008 - 12:50 PM

I never used a prescription mask, but I had an old pair of glasses with the earpieces broken off, that wedged into my mask almost perfectly. This actually worked pretty well.

#34 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2008 - 09:27 AM

Sounds like someone found that lesson out the hard way :biggrin:

Oh it was hard.
I had that mask since I was a teenager. Plus it was embarassing.
Luckily a friend took pity and I still got out. Glad too, because despite the six foot surf, vis was as good as it gets up here and a bright morning sun lit up the shallows. Three foot long stripers hung in the turbulent zones up against the boulders. In the sun light they had almost an irridencent blue sheen but would flash a blinding glint of silver when they turned just so to the sun.
My favorite marine invertibrate were abundant as well. A secret little known outside of dive circles is that ONE New England state has a recreational lobster license. 8-)
My attitude was like "This is cool enough without the bugs". Then I got into the challenge of coaxing them out of their lair while breath holding in the surge and avoid being claw pinched.
They ate good too.

#35 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ever tried using chapstick? Just rub some chapstick on your mustache, which helps create a seal around the mask skirt, under your nose. Works for me.

Edited by brannon, 12 November 2014 - 12:42 PM.

#36 brannon67

brannon67
  • NANFA Guest
  • USA

Posted 12 November 2014 - 12:44 PM

Yep, a good hoodie makes all the difference in the world. Trap that heat coming off your noggin....It works....

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users