Help wanted - Gulf Coast collecting sites

26 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:16 AM

Hey guys, on my last trip I kind of struck out on gulf coast killies. Close to the shore there is nothing but Hwy 90, and I didn't see any river crossings there. Further inland there were no killies to be found, other than the usual notatus/olivaceous. Since I am planning to go back next weekend some guidance would be helpful. Any ideas?

#2 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:46 AM

I have'nt been there since the storm, so I don't know what access is like. Have you tried the boat ramp on the east side of the Pascagoula river off of 90? I think that would be a good place for killies. There is also some decent access to back bay, but I can't rember that road names any more. I think I will be head that way this weekend, I'm sure we can find some good spots.

#3 Guest_Dan Johnson_*

Guest_Dan Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 01:07 PM

Here are some killifish I caught in April along the coast near Houston. They were not hard to find then. Don't know what the populations would be like now. Any chance you would come this far west?

http://www.io.com/~d.../killifish.html

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Dan, I for one won't be able to go that far west this year - this will problably be my last trip of the year. I'd love to go out that way, though. There's a fellow in New Mexico who has issued me a standing invitation and one day I plan to take him up on it.

Dred, what do you think would be a good rendezvous point? Harry is interested in making the trip, also a NFC member in Gautier named Brigitte and her boyfriend.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

A lot of those killies are the same ones I am looking for on the MS Gulf Coast. Neat looking fish. Do you see any pipefish or needlefish in the same habitat? How about mollies?

#6 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:26 AM

I have'nt been there since the storm, so I don't know what access is like. Have you tried the boat ramp on the east side of the Pascagoula river off of 90? I think that would be a good place for killies. There is also some decent access to back bay, but I can't rember that road names any more. I think I will be head that way this weekend, I'm sure we can find some good spots.

is that the one close to ingles?

#7 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

I was thinking of the one right off of I-10, I think. It may be a good sopt.

#8 Guest_Dan Johnson_*

Guest_Dan Johnson_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

Irate,

I've done only limited brackish/saltwater collecting and haven't collected any needlefish or pipefish, at least that I've been able to identify as such. There have been several fish that I've been unable to identify as of yet.

--Dan

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:28 PM

I-10 or hwy 90?

I may beable to swing us a boat, I am unsure though, i need to check out the trailer.

#10 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:36 PM

The one I was thinking of was between the lanes of I-10 on the east side of the Pascagoula.

#11 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:43 PM

I know where you are talking about now

#12 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 03:45 PM

I seem to remember collecting a bunch of killies right at the ramp, but that was a long time ago.

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 10:51 PM

Youse guys need to clue me in - I have no idea where that is! But it sounds like a likely rallying point. Mapquest map, mayhap?

#14 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:02 PM

I don't know if its open or not. Coming from the west on I-10 it would be the frist exit after you go over the pascagoula river hwy. 613 I think heading north. The you take the first (maybe) left and then another left (maybe). Anyway there is a boat ramp under the I-10 bridge, between the two lanes. If you make it off the right exit its not too hard to find.

#15 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:47 PM

That would be exit 68? Looks promising, and there are a few tribs to the Pascagoula on 613. Is Hwy 90 still intact across Pascagoula Bay?

#16 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

Don't know, I have'nt been there this year.

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:05 AM

Seems like maybe I drove acoss it last week? Biloxi Bay is right out - the highway was demolished by the big wind. Had to detour back up to I-10.

Maybe Harry can scout it out for us?

#18 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:10 AM

Hold on, I'm asking Brigitte - she's closer.

#19 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:09 AM

i have a job i'm looking at kinda near there, if i have time ill see if i can drive over it.

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 10:43 PM

Brigitte says it's still open, so I guess that's as good a rendezvous point as any! Unless there are other ideas?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users