Whad is the best substrate cleaner.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 06:02 PM

I have heard that some people are using snails as cleaners but mine don't seem to do the job. I am a big fan of crayfish and shrimp. What is the best type that doesn't get too big (3 or less inches)? I am also wondering about Ghost shrimp are they native and how big do they get? Will I have any problem with them molesting a Madtom or other small fish when I get one.

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

I am also wondering about Ghost shrimp are they native and how big do they get? Will I have any problem with them molesting a Madtom or other small fish when I get one.

Heh heh, somehow I don't think that will be an issue. I have decided that shrimp are one of those universal foods. Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, eats them.

If you find the right spot you can scoop up all the grass shrimp you want. They are maybe an inch long.

#3 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:31 PM

A Northern Hogsucker is the best substrate cleaner.

Edit:
If the Hog Sucker gets too big for your tank, take it as a compliment to your husbandry skills. Most aquarists can't get suckers to grow in their tanks.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 07:55 PM

A Northern Hogsucker is the best substrate cleaner.

Hogsuckers get too big for what he wants - they can easily reach 18-24".

I don't think there are any grass shrimp in California. They don't really clean substrate very well (they just pick at scraps lying on the surface, and they will eat dead fish, but they don't burrow or sift substrate at all). And like IM said, they will be eaten by any but the tiniest fish, or dedicated herbivores.

Crayfish might be a bit better, especially if you have a silty/sandy substrate instead of gravel. Be sure they have caves to hide in, or the fish will kill them when they are molting.

Lastly, not all snails are created equal. There have been a lot of recent posts about snails on this board, and the consensus seems to be that Malaysian Trumpet Snails and Olive Nerites are the preferred substrate cleaners.

#5 Guest_machineman_*

Guest_machineman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:57 PM

I have been thinking about olive neritles. Are they a native? I dont like the MTS because they are very invasive. I have heard that they are hard to get rid of.

#6 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:33 PM

I have been thinking about olive neritles. Are they a native? I dont like the MTS because they are very invasive. I have heard that they are hard to get rid of.

Yes, Olive Nerites are NA natives. (search this forum)

Nerites are good for algae but might not be good for cleaning gravel.

#7 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 11:34 PM

If you also keep tropical fish, and your MTS have become overpopulated, you can throw in a clown loach. They will control the snail problem. Then you can throw him back in the tropical tank. MTS seem to be real busy sifters. As a bonus you almost never see them except at night.
-Thom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users