Mckean, Warren, Potter counties in PA

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2008 - 03:05 PM

I'm new to native fish keeping and I'm planning on setting up a 75g native tank and wanted to know if anybody had collected from any Mckean, Warren, or Potter counties here and know of good places to try catching minnows with a seine or minnow trap. Maybe even Cattaraugus or Allegany counties in New York, I normally hook and line fish on the Allegheny Reservoir and plan on catching some small yellow perch and rock bass here for my tank.

On a side note. How many ways do they have to come up with to spell Allegheny/Allegany around here :rolleyes: too confusing for me. :tongue:

#2 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 01:22 PM

I'm new to native fish keeping and I'm planning on setting up a 75g native tank and wanted to know if anybody had collected from any Mckean, Warren, or Potter counties here and know of good places to try catching minnows with a seine or minnow trap. Maybe even Cattaraugus or Allegany counties in New York, I normally hook and line fish on the Allegheny Reservoir and plan on catching some small yellow perch and rock bass here for my tank.

I haven't been to those counties in PA yet, but I'd love to get up there sometime this spring or summer if you want to plan a trip.

On a side note. How many ways do they have to come up with to spell Allegheny/Allegany around here :rolleyes: too confusing for me. :tongue:

The way we spell it here in Allegheny County is the correct spelling ;-)

#3 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:19 PM

I haven't been to those counties in PA yet, but I'd love to get up there sometime this spring or summer if you want to plan a trip.

This is the area I live in so if you come up this way let me know!

The way we spell it here in Allegheny County is the correct spelling ;-)

That is how I spell it but the county in NY has it spelled differently. It may have to do with the Seneca indian tribe there too maybe.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:24 PM

'Allegany' is the French spelling.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:43 PM

You northerners and your messed up spelling. It's a lot simpler in the south - there is only one way to spell "Tchoutacabouffa River", for instance.

#6 Guest_alter40_*

Guest_alter40_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:47 PM

You northerners and your messed up spelling. It's a lot simpler in the south - there is only one way to spell "Tchoutacabouffa River", for instance.

I struggle remembering how to correctly spell Allegheny. I would never be able to remember how to spell that one. :lol:

#7 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2008 - 08:37 PM

I go fishing up in PA so I will probably be willing to drive a little farther to do some collecting with you guys. Just tell me when and where and I'll be there!

#8 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2008 - 08:46 AM

Wow, sounds like a PA collecting trip is shaping up here. I'm in SE PA, Lancaster County so keep me posted.

Dean

#9 Guest_harryknaub_*

Guest_harryknaub_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2008 - 02:20 PM

Wow, sounds like a PA collecting trip is shaping up here. I'm in SE PA, Lancaster County so keep me posted.

Yeah that could be fun. Pick me up on your way through York, Co.

Actually I've never collected in any of those counties, but I did catch some Etheostoma olmstedi by hand in the Loyalsock Creek in Sullivan County. You have to be very stealthy, but that was 25 years ago.

Let me know if anything gets planned.

Harry Knaub

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users