Hello from NJ,

10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mudkeeper_*

Guest_mudkeeper_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2008 - 09:54 PM

I am from Jackson NJ, around the pine barren region, and I am currently a college student. Ever since I was young, i was fascinated collecting and keeping animals, mostly aquatic. Right now I have geckos, red eared slider, western hognose, juvie musk turtle, and two native fish tanks. One is a 55 gallon with the red eared, 2 mud sunfish, 1 yellow bulhead, 1 brown bullhead, 1 bluegill (6inches), and 1 black crappie (10 inches). They have been coexisting for about 1.5-2 years. I have a small 10 gallon in my dorm room, which has 2 small spotted bullheads, 1 brown bullhead, 2 small koi, hornwort, tadpole madtom, 3 freshwater mussels, and the juvie musk turtle. In the pass i have kept blue spotted, banded, and blackbanded sunfish, as well as many baby sunfish (which have became food).
I also have a garden pond, which houses some koi, a channel catfish, and hopefully a pumpkinseed (we'll see what turns up in the spring). I am also a member of monsterfishkeepers.com
Here are some pictures

Attached Images

• DSCF0476.JPG
  • DSCF0490.JPG
  • DSCF0492.JPG
  • DSCF0465.JPG
  • DSCF0458.JPG
  • DSCF0459.JPG
  • DSCF0477.JPG

#2 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:37 AM

Welcome to the NANFA forum. I am sure that you will find it a very useful tool in your interest in aquatic life.

On a side note you may want to check various threads on this forum concerning freshwater mulluscs and your state regulations.

Again welcome :smile2:

#3 Guest_mudkeeper_*

Guest_mudkeeper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 02:11 PM

Actually the molluscs where given to me from my high school biology teacher :) .

#4 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:12 PM

Actually the molluscs where given to me from my high school biology teacher :) .

Thats cool that your high school biology teacher is getting people excited about native aquatic species. But just because someone is a teacher does not mean that they know all the laws reguarding collecting.

Many state employees do not know all of the laws, only the ones they specifically work with. I work for the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, but I can assure you that I do not know all the environmental regulations. I have to look each one up as I come up on the issue. Staying informed is a task that we who are concerned with natives must do.

What streams have you been sampling?

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 03:26 PM

Carolina or Fisher Biological Supply sells Elliptio species, so that is a possiblity (a whole sperate topic). I spent a few minutes this morning trying to find NJ regulations regarding mussel collection/possession and was unable to find anything, not to say it doesn't exist. That being said, even if it is legal, collecting live freshwater mussels for the most part is generally frowned upon to unethical, even in the case of something like the abundant eastern elliptio. As a taxa uniond mussels are among the most imperiled on the continent and their decline shows no signs of slowing down. Knowing what you have is a whole different subject and there are several rare to endangered species in New Jersey. They aren't very well suited for the typical home aquaria and even though they may be alive they are generally not in good condition.

#6 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:39 PM

Welcome. That is one nice black crappie they are a regal looking fish. How long have you had it and how big was it when you first got it?

#7 Guest_mudkeeper_*

Guest_mudkeeper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:47 PM

Carolina or Fisher Biological Supply sells Elliptio species, so that is a possiblity (a whole sperate topic). I spent a few minutes this morning trying to find NJ regulations regarding mussel collection/possession and was unable to find anything, not to say it doesn't exist. That being said, even if it is legal, collecting live freshwater mussels for the most part is generally frowned upon to unethical, even in the case of something like the abundant eastern elliptio. As a taxa uniond mussels are among the most imperiled on the continent and their decline shows no signs of slowing down. Knowing what you have is a whole different subject and there are several rare to endangered species in New Jersey. They aren't very well suited for the typical home aquaria and even though they may be alive they are generally not in good condition.

Actually, I was about to say, the mussels were purchase through Carolina, or one of the biological supply companies. My old highschool used to buy them every year for disections (and they do resemble the Elliptio species). This school was themed in marine biology and environmental science, but we did catch and collect many non threaten species.

#8 Guest_mudkeeper_*

Guest_mudkeeper_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 04:49 PM

Welcome. That is one nice black crappie they are a regal looking fish. How long have you had it and how big was it when you first got it?

It was about 9-10 inches. It has not been growing much, I think its growth is either stunted, from the pond I caught it from, or it is male.

#9 Guest_Scenicrivers_*

Guest_Scenicrivers_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

Actually, I was about to say, the mussels were purchase through Carolina, or one of the biological supply companies. My old highschool used to buy them every year for disections (and they do resemble the Elliptio species). This school was themed in marine biology and environmental science, but we did catch and collect many non threaten species.

That sounds like a really cool high school.

#10 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2008 - 09:59 PM

Welcome Mudkeeper!

Seems like we need to work towards a more hospitable welcoming committee. Next time you bring up mussels, mention Carolina Biological supply first :wink:

#11 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2008 - 01:51 PM

Welcome from another college kid!

And lucky you...mud sunfish :)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users