Native Finds at LFS

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:42 PM

Sort of just curious... what have you found at your LFS lately?

... yesterday I went to get some glass shrimp (for use as either clean up crews or feeders depending on their tank mates and their skill at avoiding predation). Anyway, there were several fish mixed in with the shrimp. I was able to get:
2 small live bearers - droped em in the banded sunfish tank and they just disappeared in one large sucking gulp
1 large killi - looks like the seminole killi we discissed here before
2 bluefin killis - one medium, one small
5 swamp darters - I love these guys! I have gotten them before from this LFS in the shrimp tank... they do very well in aquariums, love to eat, and get nice and metallic green looking as they get bigger.

So that's my story, what's yours?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#2 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

I seem to have found a golden strain of Pimephales promelas!
:tongue:

I rarely look at the fish at the LFS, honestly. I'm usually just there for crickets and frozen pinkies.

#3 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 07:56 PM

LFS?

#4 Guest_viridari_*

Guest_viridari_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:00 PM

LFS?

Local Fish Store (or Shop, as some prefer)

Edited by viridari, 09 March 2008 - 08:01 PM.

#5 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:15 PM

I can also consitently get what you said Michael but I've also got two tadpole madtoms before out of the ghost shrimp tanks. There have been sailfin mollies but I've passed on them. I'm hoping for something new but I won't complain about what seems to be an endless supply of bluefins after I went over a year with no luck. I think the most enjoyable part is guessing what I'm going to be charged, if anything, because it changes every time.

#6 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 08:21 PM

I can also consitently get what you said Michael but I've also got two tadpole madtoms before out of the ghost shrimp tanks. There have been sailfin mollies but I've passed on them. I'm hoping for something new but I won't complain about what seems to be an endless supply of bluefins after I went over a year with no luck. I think the most enjoyable part is guessing what I'm going to be charged, if anything, because it changes every time.

I'm now at 15 Lucania goodei in the last 2 months all free from my LFS. Today I finally got 2 males. Swamp darters are about the only other native I see besides the Rosies and occasional Green sunfish.

#7 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

Today I saw but did not retrieve about 2 dozen mosquitofish. There are always those things in the Roseyred feeder tanks lately. I never used to see them. I have gotten Swamp Darters, Bluefin Killies, Seminole Killies, Florida Flagfish, a couple of juvi sunfish species, and the ubiquitous mosquitofish. I really like checking the feeder tanks; it's like a box of chocolates, you never know.....
-Thom
Happy hunting :wink:
Edit....I also have gotten what appears to be hybrid Sailfin Mollies/Platies

Edited by truf, 09 March 2008 - 09:03 PM.

#8 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:11 PM

Edit....I also have gotten what appears to be hybrid Sailfin Mollies/Platies

Where's the pics?

#9 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

Molly/platy hybrid? I though they cannot hybridization each other because different genus. But I would see your picture of this mystery livebearer.

I only bought a bluefin killifish and too many gambusia. I do found green sunfish from feeder tank sometimes. Still I rather go with bluefins if I live town with lots of LFS. I only had two LFS. So far I only tasted just one piece of chocolate.

I love surprises in the feeder tank. As I do have three mystery livebearer from feeder tank but appeared to be swordtail fry, not sure 100%. And I do get gambusia from Walmart sometimes. They were mixed into feeder goldfish and mollies & swordtail tank.

Once a day per week I would go to my LFS to check out the feeder tanks for surprises.

#10 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:22 PM

I had posted about these a while back. Here's the link:

http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=3539&hl=

Edit: there was some discussion about it. I don't really know much about these things

Edited by truf, 09 March 2008 - 09:23 PM.

#11 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

I had posted about these a while back. Here's the link:

http://forum.nanfa.o...wtopic=3539&hl=

Edit: there was some discussion about it. I don't really know much about these things

They look like good feeders :rolleyes:

#12 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:36 PM

Just re-read my above post...it should have read hybrid Sailfins -or- hybrid Platies. Sorry. :roll:

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:37 PM

I'm envious.
All I ever see is sickly gambusia mixed with rosies.
I did buy a nice pair of flagfish for ten bucks.
At least I'll be able to catch my own swamp darters once the ice melts.

#14 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 March 2008 - 09:52 PM

Truf, your hybrid is just a variatus platy with probably mixed genes of swordtail or southern platy or both. Again I really like your variatus platy!

#15 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:47 AM

I got two female bluefins the other day for 15 cents each to add to my few others

I also have a redbreast sunfish I got for free from a feeder tank and a seminole killifish

#16 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:47 PM

I don't usually keep sunfish, so I forgot to mention those in the first go around... I see them also occasionally, but they usually get taken home by one of the LFS employees...

As far as cost, I ususally make sure that I but the glass shrimp... and then end up getting the fish thrown in for free... or maybe getting them at the same 7 for $1 price that they want to charge for shrimp.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#17 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:22 PM

All I have ever seen are channel catfish, selectively bred hybrid livebearers, American flagfish, Blind cave tetras, and fathead minnows.

#18 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:51 PM

I have never seen anything at any of the LFS's in my neck of the woods. I have one baitshop that told me he got a bunch of other weird little fish in with his minnows. I told him I would pay him a buck a piece for any he saved for me. He hasn't seen anything odd since...

#19 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:04 PM

I have never seen anything at any of the LFS's in my neck of the woods. I have one baitshop that told me he got a bunch of other weird little fish in with his minnows. I told him I would pay him a buck a piece for any he saved for me. He hasn't seen anything odd since...

I've noticed that more things tend to come in with the ghost shrimp in the spring/summer, so you may yet find something.

#20 Guest_truf_*

Guest_truf_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 04:49 PM

I've noticed that more things tend to come in with the ghost shrimp in the spring/summer, so you may yet find something.

I think you are right, I haven't seen any bluefins in months, just a very few others lately. Maybe one of you sneaky people have been beating me to them! #-o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users