Hello From Georgia

58 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:00 PM

:biggrin: Hello fellow fish lovers! I just joined the forums recently and just want to say that I share yall's passion for the beauty of the aquatic. As a matter of fact, I have some sunfish in an aquarium that I have had for a couple of months now and I love the whole lot of them especially my colorful male. I have a lot of species of sunfish in the lake where I live here and enjoy catching them and looking at there wonderful varieties. Thank you all for having me!!!

#2 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:40 PM

Hey stumpknocker, what part of GA are you from? I live in Grady county these days, although I'm not a GA native.

#3 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:54 PM

Hey stumpknocker, what part of GA are you from? I live in Grady county these days, although I'm not a GA native.

Wow! what a small world it is. I live in thomasville right up the road from you. Where are you at in Cairo?? My wife is from there. Talk to ya soon.

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Welcome Stumpknocker... there are a few Georgians here on-line... as you can see from my profile, I am up here in the northern part of the state... others are located more southernly... between us all, there should be someone relatively close to you... always good to get out and take a look at some fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

Welcome Stumpknocker... there are a few Georgians here on-line... as you can see from my profile, I am up here in the northern part of the state... others are located more southernly... between us all, there should be someone relatively close to you... always good to get out and take a look at some fish.

I agree! I have loved to fish since I was old enough to hold a pole. Now that I am older and have a son of my own, I can teach him to respect the fish and wildlife like I was taught. I am glad there are fellow Georgians here and I want to say hello to them all. The south definately has a variety of Sunfish and other fish to admire.

#6 Guest_jimjim_*

Guest_jimjim_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 03:22 PM

Welcome Stumpknocker; I usually just lurk here but could'nt resist saying hello to a fellow Georgian. I'm in Savannah and theres quite a variety of native plants and fish here. You'll like all the info thats in this site.....Jim

#7 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 07:35 PM

Wow! what a small world it is. I live in thomasville right up the road from you. Where are you at in Cairo?? My wife is from there. Talk to ya soon.

I moved to Whigham about 2 years ago from Florida. I'm originally a Yankee, but now I'm a damn Yankee! I think this is a great place to live.

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 09:33 PM

Hey, I spent 5 years working in Thomasville. I lived in Cairo for a little while, but soon moved into town. That was when I just started with the native fish thing. I worked for Rose's at the time.

#9 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2008 - 11:18 PM

Hey, I spent 5 years working in Thomasville. I lived in Cairo for a little while, but soon moved into town. That was when I just started with the native fish thing. I worked for Rose's at the time.

Ha! Small world. I live 10 miles from Cairo.

#10 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:36 AM

Wow! it seems we have ourselves a circle of southerners now :D Nothing wrong with that! I agree by the way, it is a very nice place to live especially if your not a city person.

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 09:43 AM

Now all we need to do is get you Georgians signed up as NANFA members.

#12 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:25 AM

I am working on it :biggrin:

#13 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 05:36 PM

I am a member in good standing sir.

#14 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:41 PM

Welcome to the forum, Stumpknocker!

Another Georgian here. :) I live up in Fayetteville, but spend my weekends in Morrow. I'm about 30 minutes south of Atlanta.

I'm a sunfish freak :D So I'm curious, what species do you have?

I'm also a proud paying member, thank you very much. :D

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:52 PM

Y'all need to go into your profile and indicate that you are a member... that will let everyone know how proud you are to be a member... and keep the Irate Morman from hinting at you about membership...

Well joined fellow Georgians!

Another Georgian here. :) I live up in Fayetteville, but spend my weekends in Morrow. I'm about 30 minutes south of Atlanta.

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 08:49 PM

Y'all need to go into your profile and indicate that you are a member... that will let everyone know how proud you are to be a member... and keep the Irate Morman from hinting at you about membership...

I think I did it...

#17 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 11:15 PM

I have 2 males and 2 Females...and I just added a crappie in the mix for an experiment to see how they will get along...it was weird one of the female greenies was sharing a cave with it and when any other sun would come close she would run them off... :glare: I don't know what that is about...anyways back to the species of my 4 the two males are different species...one is a Redbreast Sunfish, the other is a longear sunfish. The two females are greenies. I have alot of cover for them all so they can hide whenever they feel like it.....but they keep eating and eating. The blood worms don't seem to hold them is there anything more filling I can feed them so they want eat as much? I don't want to overfeed. They all seem to be geeting along good I have them all in a 150 gallon setup that was given to me by a good friend. I am taking any input on the food situation as well as if yall think there good tank buddies

#18 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:22 AM

I have 2 males and 2 Females...and I just added a crappie in the mix for an experiment to see how they will get along...it was weird one of the female greenies was sharing a cave with it and when any other sun would come close she would run them off... :glare: I don't know what that is about...anyways back to the species of my 4 the two males are different species...one is a Redbreast Sunfish, the other is a longear sunfish. The two females are greenies. I have alot of cover for them all so they can hide whenever they feel like it.....but they keep eating and eating. The blood worms don't seem to hold them is there anything more filling I can feed them so they want eat as much? I don't want to overfeed. They all seem to be geeting along good I have them all in a 150 gallon setup that was given to me by a good friend. I am taking any input on the food situation as well as if yall think there good tank buddies

Sorry I meant 110 gallon setup I have no idea what I was thinking.

#19 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:29 AM

I don't think sunfish understand the concept of "full". Just feed them what seems like a reasonable amount, and if they seem to stay healthy, then stick with it. As far as other foods, they'll eat feeder fish and crustaceans, of course, and many people have trained their sunfish to take pellets.

#20 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 04:44 PM

I love all of the sunfish for their own reasons. How big are they?
As far as food, Newt pretty much summed it up. Younger fish are easier to train to pellets.
If you feed minnows, make sure they're healthy. Most store bought feeders are diseased and have malnutrition.

P.S. If you ever have an extra female green, think of me. ;)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users