Hello From Georgia

58 replies to this topic

#41 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 04:59 PM

First guy is a pirate perch (Aphredoderus sayanus). You're definitely in the right genera for the other two, but I'm not sure about the species. That sunny doesn't look like a bluegill to me.

I think you're right. Didn't quite remember all the fish we photographed. Mike's got the rest of them.

Most of the sunfish we dug up were redbreast (All were Leopomis) but few were mature enough to really tell.

I'm still way new to things, so expect me to get most IDs wrong for a while. ;P

#42 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 06:20 PM

Newt's right about the P. perch. Now I really wish I could've been there.

The sunny is a blackspotted (Lepomis punctatus).

I think the pickerel is a grass/redfin (Esox americanus ssp.).

Edited by fishlvr, 09 April 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#43 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:35 PM

The snout length on the Esox says Americanus but the color says Niger to me. I might be crazy on that one.

The sunfish I'm pretty sure is L. punctatus.

#44 Guest_Stumpknocker_*

Guest_Stumpknocker_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 07:57 PM

Beautiful fish! I love the coloration in them all I have always wanted a pickerel :smile2:

#45 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 April 2008 - 08:01 PM

The snout length on the Esox says Americanus but the color says Niger to me. I might be crazy on that one.

That's what I thought, but I figured snout length would be more reliable than color.

#46 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:06 AM

Beautiful fish! I love the coloration in them all I have always wanted a pickerel :smile2:

Check with Mwolfe to confirm, but I think that the pickerels (We caught 3) were from Cold Creek, a tributary of the Ohoopee River, off Old Savannah Rd between Hwy 15 and Hwy 68, about 5 miles south of Tennille. Mike starting calling it Pickerel Creek, we found so many. (Compared to the other critters in that creek... I found no fish that stop, but I did dig up lots of mud bugs, including one that was 6" long if I'm a man.)

#47 Guest_silverperch_*

Guest_silverperch_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 12:30 PM

Esox niger vs Esox americanus:

Here is a quick, fairly reliable way to ID Esox spp. E. niger - suborbital bar (dark line below eye) is nearly vertical; E. americanus - suborbital bar is angled backward. From: Ross, S.T. 2001. The Inland Fishes of Mississippi. University Press of Mississippi, Jackson. 624 p.

I am fairly sure yours is E. niger according to this characteristic.

Take care,
Gretchen

#48 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 April 2008 - 10:25 PM

including one that was 6" long if I'm a man

Is that how you measured it? :twisted:

Sorry Drew - I'll TRY to be good the rest of tonight!

#49 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:29 PM

Esox niger vs Esox americanus:

Here is a quick, fairly reliable way to ID Esox spp. E. niger - suborbital bar (dark line below eye) is nearly vertical; E. americanus - suborbital bar is angled backward. From: Ross, S.T. 2001. The Inland Fishes of Mississippi. University Press of Mississippi, Jackson. 624 p.

I am fairly sure yours is E. niger according to this characteristic.

Take care,
Gretchen

I'm glad to see everyone else is working hard to identify the Esox... I mean they were at least 2 inches long... but seriously... I thought niger based on coloring when they were in my hand... the redfin I have seen at that lenght had a very distinctive line along the top of the fish... similar to the one on the side of the fish... when it looked at you you could see the beginnings of all three stripes... these guys did not have a strong line like that along the top...

As for the others... yes, pirate perch... and I am pleased to see that some of the purple showed up in the photograph... wish we would have had a photo tank... we were taking pictures in my hand while standing in the stream... benefit of the water proof camera... but the fish would have looked perfect if I could have brought Uland along with me... only 800 miles or so too far for him to travel... but in the tannin stained waters the PPerch was a nice royal purple...

As mentione dbefore, I do not normally keep sunfish so do not know them well... looking back on it, I think that almost everything we saw was black spotted... but pretty sure that I saw the "railroad tracks" of at least one juv. bluegill... but might not have the picture to prove it.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#50 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 10 April 2008 - 11:31 PM

[These are the three fish I've got photos of...

Hey Keith... are these the only ones that turned out? I was the photographer, so its my fault, but I thought we took a few more... particularly interested in some of those shots I tried to get macro of the Esox faces...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#51 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 08:49 AM

No, there's 7 or 8 photos in total, I just picked the best ones for here. I just rebuilt my laptop, so I'm missing some image editing software... my upload allotment is full on this forum. ;P

I'll email them to you.

#52 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 10:59 AM

does anyone in GA keep/breed Lepomis humilis and/or Lepomis megalotis? I am interested in keeping these and would like to pick them up locally.

#53 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2008 - 06:11 PM

does anyone in GA keep/breed Lepomis humilis and/or Lepomis megalotis? I am interested in keeping these and would like to pick them up locally.

Where are you located? L. megalotis live in a couple drainages here. I've found them in the Chattahoochee river. I'm not sure if O spots live here or not.

#54 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:17 AM

I live in Gwinnett. there are many color varieties of L. megalotis (I prefer the blue & red), which type is found is found in the Chattahoochee river? what area? do you want to go collecting/fishing? :smile2:

Where are you located? L. megalotis live in a couple drainages here. I've found them in the Chattahoochee river. I'm not sure if O spots live here or not.

#55 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 05:53 PM

I live in Gwinnett. there are many color varieties of L. megalotis (I prefer the blue & red), which type is found is found in the Chattahoochee river? what area? do you want to go collecting/fishing? :smile2:

I'm in Morrow on the weekends, and Michael and I were talking about doing some collecting soon, so you could probably go with us.

I only caught a couple, and they were all red. Not sure where you could find the blue/red ones.

#56 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 06:50 PM

got any pics of the all red ones you've caught? I know where the blue & red variety lives, cause I lived there in the late 80s and caught them as a kid. its in a creek in a neighborhood in decatur (Glenwood rd) however that was a long time ago. I don't know how they would treat adults playing in the creek (nor do I know how the neighborhood has changed). I tried to follow the creek using google earth but was unsuccessful =(

I'm in Morrow on the weekends, and Michael and I were talking about doing some collecting soon, so you could probably go with us.

I only caught a couple, and they were all red. Not sure where you could find the blue/red ones.

Edited by ttman, 14 April 2008 - 06:53 PM.

#57 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 07:37 PM

got any pics of the all red ones you've caught? I know where the blue & red variety lives, cause I lived there in the late 80s and caught them as a kid. its in a creek in a neighborhood in decatur (Glenwood rd) however that was a long time ago. I don't know how they would treat adults playing in the creek (nor do I know how the neighborhood has changed). I tried to follow the creek using google earth but was unsuccessful =(

No pics. That was before I got my camera.
Hmmm... might have to check into going there and seeing if I can find some.

#58 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2008 - 08:24 PM

sure PM for more info. I wish I can find out where the creek comes out into. it goes under Glenwood from the neighborhood, don't know where to..

No pics. That was before I got my camera.
Hmmm... might have to check into going there and seeing if I can find some.

#59 Guest_ttman_*

Guest_ttman_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:42 AM

here is where I used to live, back in the mid/late 80s. the RED line is the creek, the area I played in as a kid. The blue area is wooded on a hill. the yellow area is/was an open field w/easy access to the creek. both can be accessed (back then). the long middle stretch of it is behind people's houses and hill on other side.

the bright blue & red longer lives here. I caught it here as a child. I do not know if this area still has any water due to drought as I have not been back. I do not know where the creek extends to below the red line as I have not traveled it beyond what I drew.

somebody go there & tell me if the BEAUTIFULL blue & red longear still lives here. Or if someone knows how to follow this creek & finds out where it ends up. I did a zoom out & did not see any large bodies of water nearby =(

Attached Images

• fish.JPG

Edited by ttman, 17 April 2008 - 10:48 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users