Crayfish with Grass Pickerel

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_FishyPete_*

Guest_FishyPete_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2008 - 11:02 PM

I have 2 grass pickerel( apx 6.5" in length) in a 125g tank with a sand bottom, I was thinking of going down to the local stream and catching a couple crayfish to put in with them, i want to get 3 crayfish all apx 3-4" in length, would this work out?

#2 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:28 AM

I have 2 grass pickerel( apx 6.5" in length) in a 125g tank with a sand bottom, I was thinking of going down to the local stream and catching a couple crayfish to put in with them, i want to get 3 crayfish all apx 3-4" in length, would this work out?

My pickerels eat crayfish, inverts, worms, fish, and just about anything else that would fit in their mouth. If you have tons of hiding spots for the crays they may last for a while. Where I collect pickerels there are crays there, but they are all very small and not very numerous, i suspect this is due to predation by the pickerels and sunfish. Others may chime in, and have different observations. YMMV

Edited by tglassburner, 12 March 2008 - 06:37 AM.

#3 Guest_dmarkley_*

Guest_dmarkley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:34 AM

I have a pair of redfins of the same approximate size. They LOVE crayfish and can indeed eat 4 inch crays.

#4 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 06:45 PM

It would work out just fine for your pickerel. It wouldn't mind having a nice crayfish feast.

#5 Guest_FishyPete_*

Guest_FishyPete_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:09 PM

thank you all, but what if the crayfish are too big for the pickerel to swallow? will they just rip them apart? my pickerel are a skinny 6" . also apx how big will they get? ive heard everywhere from 9-18" and is my 125g going to be big enough for both when fully grown, had them almost 1yr now

#6 Guest_sumthinsfishy_*

Guest_sumthinsfishy_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:18 PM

Grass pickerel max out at around a foot, but usually smaller. A 125g should be plenty of room. You could possibly keep some five inch crays with them, but when they shed they will be destroyed.

#7 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:23 PM

If your tank is planted, you might want to skip the crays, they can be a nightmare with plants, at least the ones I've kept.

#8 Guest_FishyPete_*

Guest_FishyPete_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 07:43 PM

nah, my tank has only a bunch of fake plants with a sand bottom

#9 Guest_juscuz_*

Guest_juscuz_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2008 - 09:00 PM

nah, my tank has only a bunch of fake plants with a sand bottom

If you have lots of hides the crays will have a chance. If not, they will be killed when they molt.

#10 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 09:48 PM

I've got to say I've had the opposite experience. I had kept crayfish in an aquarium with Grass Pickerel and the Pickerel didn't even know the crayfish existed. I was keeping Rusty Crayfish and the only problem I had with them was their constant escape plans. Provide some rocks and maybe a nice piece of driftwood and you've got a crayfish hideout that will stage off any Grass Pickerel, as is my experience at least.

#11 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 March 2008 - 11:38 PM

I have found that the crayfish barricade themselves behind rocks, even building forts from the gravel. The pickerels then don't seem to notice them. I gave up on using crayfish for feeders a long time ago.

#12 Guest_juscuz_*

Guest_juscuz_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 March 2008 - 10:31 PM

I have never had a cray make a run for it, but that could be because there is a painted turtle patrolling the surface of the water.

The only problem I have had is the turtle eventually finds and eats the crays.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users