Stock tank for bowfin/gar

13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 06:37 AM

I've thought about buying a stock tank and maybe getting a couple of bowfin or gar. What's the minimum size (diameter/depth) stock tank for one or two bowfin or gar(not both)?

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 07:57 AM

I've thought about buying a stock tank and maybe getting a couple of bowfin or gar. What's the minimum size (diameter/depth) stock tank for one or two bowfin or gar(not both)?

4-5 foot X 2 foot for two bowfin
Gar would depend on species, what one where you thinking?

#3 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:14 AM

4-5 foot X 2 foot for two bowfin
Gar would depend on species, what one where you thinking?

I was thinking one of the smaller species, shortnose, spotted, or Florida. I think I recall you telling me at one point that shortnose gar had problems with bumping their noses more often than the other species, and that spotteds and Floridas only got to 20" in captivity.

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:37 AM

I was thinking one of the smaller species, shortnose, spotted, or Florida. I think I recall you telling me at one point that shortnose gar had problems with bumping their noses more often than the other species, and that spotteds and Floridas only got to 20" in captivity.

Same then... 4-5 x 2 foot would be fine.

#5 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:41 AM

Same then... 4-5 x 2 foot would be fine.

Ok thanks!

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:39 PM

Another question: Do I need some type of cover on top of it? I Think I remember reading somewhere that bowfin will jump if given the chance.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:35 PM

Gar are definitely jumpers. A cover or a net around the edge is a must.

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Gar are definitely jumpers. A cover or a net around the edge is a must.

Thanks.
What about bowfin?

#9 Guest_kingdaddy8685_*

Guest_kingdaddy8685_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:08 PM

Thanks.
What about bowfin?

Hey, this is actually my first post.

I have started a 200gallon tank and I am interested in bowfin and Gar (spotted or florida), possibly even some kind of Pike (green grass, haiku) Would you know where I could get them or order them?

#10 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

Hey, this is actually my first post.

I have started a 200gallon tank and I am interested in bowfin and Gar (spotted or florida), possibly even some kind of Pike (green grass, haiku) Would you know where I could get them or order them?

Kingdaddy- Hello and welcome! Check out the commercial vendors section of this forum; I know a couple of those folks carry bowfin, and may have some of your other species. Florida gar seem to be pretty common in the pet trade, so you might try asking your LFS to special order one for you. I've seen 12-18" specimens going for $30. As for pike, I'm not familiar with the varieties you mentioned, but northern pike and muskies may be available from some state and national fish hatcheries.

#11 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:04 PM

Kingdaddy- Hello and welcome! Check out the commercial vendors section of this forum; I know a couple of those folks carry bowfin, and may have some of your other species. Florida gar seem to be pretty common in the pet trade, so you might try asking your LFS to special order one for you. I've seen 12-18" specimens going for $30. As for pike, I'm not familiar with the varieties you mentioned, but northern pike and muskies may be available from some state and national fish hatcheries.

Welcome!

By green grass, I'm going to guess you're talking about grass pickerel. However, I have no idea what haiku pike are.

Your best choice for a tank that size would be pickerel. You could probably keep a good number of them, about five or maybe more, in a 200 gallon tank (depending on the dimensions of the tank).

Edited by fishlvr, 25 April 2008 - 06:04 PM.

#12 Guest_kingdaddy8685_*

Guest_kingdaddy8685_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:32 PM

Newt-

Thanks, I'm learning more n more how to get around this site. I have checked locally and everyone seems to be having a hard time finding Gars. I'm sure they will pop up soon now that spring is in full effect up here.

#13 Guest_kingdaddy8685_*

Guest_kingdaddy8685_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:34 PM

Welcome!

By green grass, I'm going to guess you're talking about grass pickerel. However, I have no idea what haiku pike are.

Your best choice for a tank that size would be pickerel. You could probably keep a good number of them, about five or maybe more, in a 200 gallon tank (depending on the dimensions of the tank).

Fishlvr-

Yes, I did mean the pickerel. You really think I can hold that many? That would be great!!

Thanks.

#14 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2008 - 12:13 AM

Bowfin deff jump :( . Thats how I lost mine... He was 8" and I raised him from a 1" baby and that was a matter of like 5 months.

Chad

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users