Need Help

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_coldwater_*

Guest_coldwater_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 09:19 AM

Ok here is a question I doubt anyone will have an answer for. Does anyone know the specifics of the definition or use of a carp apron? In Ohio with the proper permits (non limeted entry commercial fishing) you can use a carp apron in marshes bordering Lake Erie for carp and other "rough" fish. The Ohio revised code specifies this gear as being no longer than 100ft no deeper than 75 feet and with mesh no smaller than 3.5 in streched, however no one at the division that I have contacted can give me an exact deffinition of its legal use. I don't know if brails are allowed or not or how it should be hauled. I'm involved in a research project where I need to catch some carp but I don't want to return the fish to the water, rather than wasting them I was considering obtaining the proper permits which would allow me to sell the fish after I am through with them. I need to get going on setting up my gear but I don't want to waste the time/money on gear that I may later find out isn't legal. If anyone has any info on the use or deffinition of a carp apron I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeremiah

#2 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 10:21 AM

Is there a big market for carp???

#3 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 04:23 PM

Sounds like a question for netmaker. Aside: How would one use 75' brails?

#4 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 05:07 PM

Have you contacted Phil Hillman at ODNR? I have a feeling no one so far can give you a defintion of it's legal use because none of the have used it and/or it hasn't been used for quite some time. Is it just a modified fyke net? It sounds like it is a passive, stationary net, not something you would use with brails and move. If this is academic research I don't see how you would be allowed (by the school and terms of the permit) to sell/profit your collected specimens. Some states encourage or require donating protein to food banks or using it for charity.

#5 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 March 2008 - 08:31 PM

Hello,

I am NOT sure about this description. The term apron seems misleading but I suspect they may be speaking of a modified type of Purse Seine.Brails may be the Yankee word for a Purse line.

*There is a Curtain seine that hangs deep down and in a current and when you pull on the brails, a part of the net rolls up.... I can't see anyone in Ohio using that critter though.

The 75' deep part is way too deep for a Drag seine or a Pocket seine......I suspect it is a Purse seine.

Does the specified gear have rings (steel or plastic) along the leadline on bottom?
If so then it is definitely a purse seine.

100' long means a 31' fishing circle when the net is closed.......very, very small area. Noise from the boat and/or paddling will spook a lot of catch.

You need to get a full description of the gear besides just length and depth.
From this I can help determine what this gear is and how best to use it.

Can you tell me:

How deep of water you are planning to work in?
[*]what type boat ....size and width
[*]HP of engine
[*]....are you thinking of setting out from the bank and making a sweep back to your Stationary Point ( usually a sturdy post driven into the marsh or if you are on a beach, a truck bumper outfitted with a snatch block and weight)?
[*]will you be in marsh or open water?
[/list]
Just asking but are drag seines allowed? There are easier ways to catch common carp then with a Purse seine........

sa va,
netmaker

Ok here is a question I doubt anyone will have an answer for. Does anyone know the specifics of the definition or use of a carp apron? In Ohio with the proper permits (non limeted entry commercial fishing) you can use a carp apron in marshes bordering Lake Erie for carp and other "rough" fish. The Ohio revised code specifies this gear as being no longer than 100ft no deeper than 75 feet and with mesh no smaller than 3.5 in streched, however no one at the division that I have contacted can give me an exact deffinition of its legal use. I don't know if brails are allowed or not or how it should be hauled. I'm involved in a research project where I need to catch some carp but I don't want to return the fish to the water, rather than wasting them I was considering obtaining the proper permits which would allow me to sell the fish after I am through with them. I need to get going on setting up my gear but I don't want to waste the time/money on gear that I may later find out isn't legal. If anyone has any info on the use or deffinition of a carp apron I would greatly appreciate it.

Jeremiah

#6 Guest_coldwater_*

Guest_coldwater_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:00 AM

I am not actually working under any school or state permit I am just going to be supplying biometrics data and samples to a collegue. I went out yesterday and caught 23 fish totaling 275 lb on hook and line so I may be able to just catch enough fish that way, problem being I had to dig an awful large hole when I was done. I would much rather just spend the money on a commercial lisence as I have a wholesaler that will give .10/ lb when I am done with them.

The net will be used only in marshes probably less than five feet deep, I don't really think they meant that it was a purse seine. In my mind I am picturing a 100 ft float line 75 feet out from shore with the remainder of the net resting on bottom, wait for fish to congregate above the net and pull like crazy, but I just don't know.

I appreciate the help

#7 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 08:52 AM

Hello,

OK. Then it might just be a type of Curtain Net if it has no rings .
That would still be a whole lot of net to work with.

I'd still see if they would let you use a small trammel or gill net.
If not, even a 100'x 8' x 3-1/2" str. mesh Blocking Seine that you set out partially and let the fish enter an area then close it off quickly, force the fish to the bank and scoop them out.

anyway, good luck.

sa va,
netmaker

#8 Guest_coldwater_*

Guest_coldwater_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 10:11 AM

thanks netmaker; comments appreciated

#9 Guest_coldwater_*

Guest_coldwater_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

041.JPG

#10 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:05 PM

Netmaker, you are a real treasure! I don't think there's anybody here who can offer the kind of advice you can.

#11 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:16 PM

Thank you IM, but my knowledge of nets is no more than a biologist who has studied fish for 30 years or an electrician or plumber......I studied my trade in great depth and when I had a chance to work with Master Net Makers from Japan, Norway, Iceland and other countries I took it.
Today, most of these men are long gone but the designs and concepts we developed live on in some of the research and sampling nets I turn out.

Its the only gift the Big Guy gave me and I try to put it to good use.........but it's still just a learned trade like anyone else's.

sa va,
netmaker

#12 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 March 2008 - 11:20 PM

041.JPG

Nice fish..........good crawfish bait !

......say , is that real sneaux???

#13 Guest_coldwater_*

Guest_coldwater_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 12:38 PM

yep we got a foot last week, air temp that day was around 38 water temp in the main lake was 40 but I was fishing a spring fed discharge with water temps around 50 F..... hence the giant pile of carp , they like it hot.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users