north american cichlids

8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:25 PM

I will be going to Costa Rica in late May thru early June for fun, not work. According to my knowledge of Earth's plate tectonics Costa Rica is part of North America therefore should fall into the interest of NANFA (North Amercian Native Fishes Association). Does any one have experience with good sites to investigate for native cichlids while snorkeling?

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:29 PM

I don't have any such knowledge, but let me be first to wish you a good trip and insist on lots of photos!

Edited by Newt, 19 March 2008 - 03:29 PM.

#3 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 03:30 PM

I don't have any such knowledge, but let me be first to wish you a good trip and insist on lots of photos!

I will effort to do so.

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:10 PM

I have been to CR a couple of times and snorkeled. What species of cichlids are you interested in? Any other fish of interest? Poeciliids? Rivulids?

I will be glad to supply a list of spots and species at areas around Dominical, Puerto Vieja, or around the coast in Guanacaste.

#5 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 04:53 PM

I have been to CR a couple of times and snorkeled. What species of cichlids are you interested in? Any other fish of interest? Poeciliids? Rivulids?

I will be glad to supply a list of spots and species at areas around Dominical, Puerto Vieja, or around the coast in Guanacaste.

I am interested in any and all species. Monteverde is the closest to any sites (Guanacaste) list. I will be going to areas around Arenal and Manual Antonio as well. The Monteverde site appears to be more than 60 miles from Guanacaste.

#6 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:17 PM

I am interested in any and all species. Monteverde is the closest to any sites (Guanacaste) list. I will be going to areas around Arenal and Manual Antonio as well. The Monteverde site appears to be more than 60 miles from Guanacaste.

I've been to Costa Rica a number of times, but have never snorkeled freshwater. I was actually there just a couple weeks ago, and really wished I had my mask and snorkel when I hiked to the waterfall in La Fortuna (the town at the base of Volcan Arenal). Here's what I got from above the surface -- you can click the magnifying glass on the photo for a good blow-up. It'll come up pixelated at first, but wait a second and you'll get the full-res version. http://picasaweb.goo...907997883874658
There are 3 photos of the fish -- click the right arrow for the other two.

I lived in Monteverde for a year, and I don't think you'll find much water to snorkel there. It's high enough up that streams are pretty small and there aren't any sizeable ponds/lakes that I know of. There's much more water at Arenal / La Fortuna, including Lago Arenal. You'll likely cross that if you do the jeep-boat-jeep transit from Monteverde to Arenal, which is the most common way if you don't have your own car. Maybe you could figure out a way to do some sort of "layover" for a couple hours so you could snorkel there?

I've been to Manuel Antonio, and know there is a fairly sizable tidal/brackish stream right at the entrance. I'd imagine you'd find a lot of fish there -- but crocodiles, too, so careful while snorkeling!

-Jase

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:26 PM

I've been to Costa Rica a number of times, but have never snorkeled freshwater. I was actually there just a couple weeks ago, and really wished I had my mask and snorkel when I hiked to the waterfall in La Fortuna (the town at the base of Volcan Arenal). Here's what I got from above the surface -- you can click the magnifying glass on the photo for a good blow-up. It'll come up pixelated at first, but wait a second and you'll get the full-res version. http://picasaweb.goo...907997883874658
There are 3 photos of the fish -- click the right arrow for the other two.

I lived in Monteverde for a year, and I don't think you'll find much water to snorkel there. It's high enough up that streams are pretty small and there aren't any sizeable ponds/lakes that I know of. There's much more water at Arenal / La Fortuna, including Lago Arenal. You'll likely cross that if you do the jeep-boat-jeep transit from Monteverde to Arenal, which is the most common way if you don't have your own car. Maybe you could figure out a way to do some sort of "layover" for a couple hours so you could snorkel there?

I've been to Manuel Antonio, and know there is a fairly sizable tidal/brackish stream right at the entrance. I'd imagine you'd find a lot of fish there -- but crocodiles, too, so careful while snorkeling!

-Jase

The photograph appears to be of characins.

We will be renting a jeep. If like in the midwest, I may be able to find some interesting fishes in streams too small to get my belly off the bottom. How far inland do I have to go to avoid crocodilians?

#8 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:48 PM

The photograph appears to be of characins.

We will be renting a jeep. If like in the midwest, I may be able to find some interesting fishes in streams too small to get my belly off the bottom. How far inland do I have to go to avoid crocodilians?

There are two kinds of fish in those photos -- got an idea about both?

Not sure how far inland you need to go to have to go to eliminate the risk of crocodiles. You'll need to ask at the locations where you're thinking of getting in. I don't think attacks happen very often anywhere in Costa Rica.

#9 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2008 - 05:56 PM

There are two kinds of fish in those photos -- got an idea about both?

Not sure how far inland you need to go to have to go to eliminate the risk of crocodiles. You'll need to ask at the locations where you're thinking of getting in. I don't think attacks happen very often anywhere in Costa Rica.

Thanks! I will attampt to study up on the river systems you indicate. Our trip is yet to be set in stone in terms of where we go.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users