Carp discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
57 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:05 AM

Continue any carp discussion from the previous thread here...

#2 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

who came up with the rats with fins idea? and how do you id the 3 species of carp?

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

who came up with the rats with fins idea? and how do you id the 3 species of carp?

Rats with fins, River rabbits, River roaches, common crap, Cyprinus crapo, Mud grubbing (censored), (Censored) fish.... they have many colorful names applied to them by us that really do not like these fish in our waters....

Which three carp species? there are actually five issue fish that are commonly called carps.

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:33 PM

what are the 5 species( is smallmouth bafalio a carp?)

#5 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

what are the 5 species( is smallmouth bafalio a carp?)

That would be a native (and interesting) sucker. Certainly not a carp.

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:53 PM

Lets see:
common, grass, bighead, black and silver.......Yup thats five

#7 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

who came up with the rats with fins idea?

I'm guilty of that one. There is a Goldie Hawn movie (I forget the title, does anybody know?) that I saw many years ago. In it, she visits her parents in suburban Buffalo. She finds her father shooting pigeons, cursing them, and telling them to go back to the city where they belong. The idea being that pigeons are city birds and don't belong in the suburbs; they are invasive species in the suburbs. He refers to them as "rats with wings". I think of carp in the same way. They are invasive pests. So, similar to the pigeons in the movie, I have dubbed them "rats with fins".

And since I know somebody will ask, I don't like pigeons either. They don't belong here in the suburbs of Pittsburgh any more than in the suburbs of Buffalo! I don't really like seeing them in the city, either. Just the same, I won't be using my Swiss Army knife on them, although I admittedly laughed at that carp picture.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

who came up with the rats with fins idea?

I'm guilty of that one. There is a Goldie Hawn movie (I forget the title, does anybody know?) that I saw many years ago. In it, she visits her parents in suburban Buffalo. She finds her father shooting pigeons, cursing them, and telling them to go back to the city where they belong. The idea being that pigeons are city birds and don't belong in the suburbs; they are invasive species in the suburbs. He refers to them as "rats with wings". I think of carp in the same way. They are invasive pests. So, similar to the pigeons in the movie, I have dubbed them "rats with fins".

And since I know somebody will ask, I don't like pigeons either. They don't belong here in the suburbs of Pittsburgh any more than in the suburbs of Buffalo! I don't really like seeing them in the city, either. Just the same, I won't be using my Swiss Army knife on them, although I admittedly laughed at that carp picture.

And I have to say I like the "Common Rat with fins" and "Grass rat with fins" title.... it works just about as well as "Damnbusia" and "Large-mouthed ratfish"

#9 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:50 AM

"Large-mouthed ratfish"

Trying to make new friends here huh Brookalmprey?

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:11 AM

"Large-mouthed ratfish"

Trying to make new friends here huh Brookalmprey?

If there happens to be TWO fish in North America, that even if they happen to be Native, have proven themselves to be Water rats.... it is the Green Sunfish and Large-mouthed bass. These two fish have actually become invasive pests in their own native waters.

They are way too over-populated.....

#11 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

I just had to open my large mouth!

I can't deny I feel both of these fish have been put in many places they don't belong. I don't like them in these locations either but "larged mouth rat" is fighting words :lol:

#12 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:27 PM

To me it is funny that LMB are such esteemed gamefish, I have grown tired of them, and only enjoy fishing for them occasionally(at night). They are fun topwater after dark. Otherwise I enjoy taking a three weight, and catching big creek chubs just as much. SMB are quite a different story.

#13 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:34 PM

My community lake has a regulation that ALL carp has to be released back into the lake. They are not to be removed alive or dead from the waters.

#14 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 04:36 PM

They must be referring to triploid grass carp that they purchased for weed control

#15 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

They must be referring to triploid grass carp that they purchased for weed control

Most likely yeah. Our lake doesnt have many weeds but it is a big mud bowl most of the year.

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Illinois recognizes the impact of Carp. It wasn't until the bighead and/or silver carp invaision did the state do something about it.

http://dnr.state.il..../August/law.htm

#17 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

To me it is funny that LMB are such esteemed gamefish, I have grown tired of them, and only enjoy fishing for them occasionally(at night). They are fun topwater after dark. Otherwise I enjoy taking a three weight, and catching big creek chubs just as much. SMB are quite a different story.

I love catching largemouths and I think they are beautiful fish but I do agree, smallmouths are a lot more fun to catch. Heck, I even prefer catching rock bass on the right tackle, and other sunfishes.

The only carp we have here in NY are the common carp, grass carp are here but supposedly they are all triploid. If you want to count them I have also seen plenty of goldfish in the wild. There are plenty of commons in the Finger lakes, there is even a fishing derby for them every year. I have no idea if they require you to keep the fish or kill it. There are also a lot of carp near the Montezuma wildlife refuge on the northern end of Cayuga lake. It's a massive marsh where waterfowl migrate through and they have some issues keeping the carp out, obviously they don't want them to get in because they would ruin the plantlife and thus the waterfowl habitats.

#18 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

I'm not gonna lie... If I had a big enough fish tank, I would throw a common carp in there. yes I know, they're not native, but there's something about them I like. *Waits for stones to hit him*

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

how'a bout a good old quillback or smallmouth buffalo insed

#20 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 06:13 PM

Do our waters, and native fish a service......... Never release a carp, instead bludgeon it with a large rock and smile! You have served your community, and your wildlife. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users