my bowfin

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:22 AM

had this baby for about 2 years now. was about 14" when I caught it, now about 27"

Attached Files

#2 Guest_Duckman77_*

Guest_Duckman77_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:41 PM

Wow! How big is that tank?!

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Very impressive, got a full tank shot?

#4 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:37 PM

650gallon right now. was built by glass cages a few years back, Im hoping on getting a new one this next spring. to fit my whole back wall in my garage. 16' by maybe 4' wide and 4'high, I'm not sure if thats going to be a reality however since. that would cost a ton. but can you imagine :) . I used to live in Florida where I had a 24' above ground pool I used as a large stock tank, I wish I could make an aquarium that large :)

#5 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:58 PM

what do you have in the way of filteration on the 650?

what else do you have in it?

I would love a full tank shot as well

#6 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

Can't wait until mine gets that big.... how is his temperment at that size. Any tankmates?

Chad

#7 Guest_nativeone_*

Guest_nativeone_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

right now with large green sunfish, only 3 in there as the others dissapeared. :) also a 1 LMB and 1 Crappie about 6 georgia giants.1 american eel and a striped bass. I had a muskie in there about 2' but somehow he choked on a fish one night. Got up one morning and there he was laying on the bottom, mouth open with a channel cats tail still hanging out of its mouth, the cat was only about 5-6" so i guess he just mistook it for something else. as for full tankshot. I have tried but cant get it all in the camera. its in my garage and i cant back up enough to fit it all in, as I have a lot of other tanks in there as well. belive it or not its temperment is great. I never have any problems with it except when introducing another fish then he will sometimes harrass it.

#8 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:24 PM

Do the georgia giants look the same as regular bluegill?

#9 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

If you are refering to copper nose, they are almost a kacky color with dark almost purple stripes. the body of the fish is very pale, the verticle stripes tend to stand out more, ill try and dig a picture up. I have been to a stocked lake near Chatom, AL thats what they put in there.
Posted Image

here is what google turned up for georgia giant, im thinking photoshop
Posted Image

#10 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:13 PM

The Georga giants I know of are hybrids. They were first produced by Ken Holyoak, owner of "Ken's Fish Farm" and took 10 years to develop, he even has a patent on the hybrid. The picture is real, that's how large they actually grow.

#11 Guest_chad55_*

Guest_chad55_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Wow that sucks. A two foot muskie would be quite a site. I'll bet those bones on the fins got him....Can we see some pictures of other tankmates? It sounds awsome. Also some sizes on those fish would be cool too.

Chad

#12 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

That lower "bluegill" fish looks like it got smacked with a cast iron frying pan......

BTW...Awesome Bow it looks really nice and healthy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users