Huron River Zebra Mussel Project

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:28 PM

Hi everyone,

As many of you may already know, I am a graduate student at the University of Michigan, and I will be doing research for my master's thesis this summer on the Huron River. I am primarily interested in how the invasive zebra mussels that are now inhabiting this watershed are affecting fish communities. I will be gathering data throughout the season, but the majority of the field work will take place in mid-May, mid-June, and early August.

Anyhow, I would like to take this opportunity to invite any interested NANFA members to participate. We will be electrofishing, seining, and all that fun stuff. In addition, you'll probably get to meet and interact with faculty from the U-M School of Natural Resources and the Fish Division at the Museum of Zoology (once the illustrious Carl Hubbs' stomping grounds). Feel free to drop me an e-mail at kbirkett at umich dot edu if you're interested. Hope to meet you soon!

Katie

#2 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 09:53 PM

I'm in Kate. We can film your sites too :) I was watching for this effect after you had noted it last year and just never wrote about it. The zeebs definately shift fish community away from where they're at, although I think the effects are indirect. I have some film from Island SP that is very curious. There are curious distribution patterns of zeebs above Portage Lake as well.

Are you working with Dave?

Also, I've been trading emails with George Hammond at the UMMZ, I think I'll be getting more involved that direction. I had already kinda found a niche with the native plant folks :)

Todd

#3 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:13 PM

I'll be there as I can Katie... You have my contact info....

#4 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 11:57 AM

I'm in Kate. We can film your sites too :) I was watching for this effect after you had noted it last year and just never wrote about it. The zeebs definately shift fish community away from where they're at, although I think the effects are indirect. I have some film from Island SP that is very curious. There are curious distribution patterns of zeebs above Portage Lake as well.

Are you working with Dave?

Also, I've been trading emails with George Hammond at the UMMZ, I think I'll be getting more involved that direction. I had already kinda found a niche with the native plant folks :)

Todd

This is great -- I look forward to working with you, Brook and Todd. I'll forward you more detailed info when I get a chance.

I'm working primarily with Jim Diana, but Dave Allan has also contributed quite a bit. Both have been a great help.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:36 PM

Very cool, let me know! Just pm me when you're starting to think about it. I've been too busy to really keep good tabs on the Forum (and I now have a marine distraction ;) )

Todd

#6 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:31 AM

Hi everyone,

The finalized dates for sampling are:
June 2-8
July 7-8
August 4-11

I'll be working during both the day and early evening.

If you're interested in sampling with us during any of these time frames, feel free to PM me. It should be a great time, and you'll have the chance to meet fellow native fish enthusiasts and professionals.

Katie

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 12:39 PM

I will have some time during the week of the 2nd, and during the July sample. I'll be at ESA during the Aug sample. July will be a good time to get some underwater footage.

Let me know the times and places!

Todd

#8 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:33 PM

I will have some time during the week of the 2nd, and during the July sample. I'll be at ESA during the Aug sample. July will be a good time to get some underwater footage.

Let me know the times and places!

Todd

Todd, I don't think electrofishing would be good for your underwater camera. :)

#9 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:47 PM

Todd, I don't think electrofishing would be good for your underwater camera. :)

I didn't think that housing had conductive fittings. Only way e-fishing should hurt the camera is if the housing was flooded -- in which case you'd have a wholly different problem.

on slightly diff'rnt topic, check John Janssen's website for WAY cool e-fishing submersible/ROV videos!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users