Crayfish from Grady county Georgia (Ochlockonee river basin)

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:00 PM

From the same pond:

Attached File  crawdad_3a.jpg   589.04KB   1 downloads

Attached File  crawdad_3b.jpg   553.75KB   1 downloads

Attached File  crawdad_3c.jpg   1.18MB   1 downloads

Attached File  crawdad_3d.jpg   379.24KB   1 downloads

Hmm. I guess I coulda cropped 'em...

Edited by fish for brains, 06 April 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#22 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:08 PM

The third and fourth pictures just reinforces the fact this is not P. clarkii but it looks like you got a female this time. No I don't think the budweiser will cut it. Your best bet may be sending pictures or specimens to Chris Skelton at GA State College & University.

I went back into a key I happen to have at home and an online one and I'm starting to agree with candiancray about the P. acutus acutus. The rostrum and areolar width are fitting well. Not sure why I was so against it earlier.

#23 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

In the first photos you couldn't see the dark stripe on the dorsal abdomen. Could that be why?

#24 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:22 PM

Your best bet may be sending pictures or specimens to Chris Skelton at GA State College & University.

Not to be too picky... but Georgia State University is in Atlanta and Georgia College and State University is in Milledgeville... I think you meant the latter, not the former...

Leave it to us here in Georgia to create confusion with names... suprised we didn't just call them both Peachtree Street State Institute University College School...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#25 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2008 - 08:50 PM

Whoops you're right I ment GCSU. Seriously that is the silliest thing I've heard. Is it a college or a university? Make up your mind! Yes the dorsal tail pattern is alot better in these pictures.

#26 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 12:33 PM

More from the same pond, this time I think it's a boy.

Attached File  crawdad_4.jpg   157.75KB   1 downloads

Should I just send Mr. Skelton an email with a link to this thread?

#27 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 05:45 PM

Would the grain alcohol be for preserving one for shipping? Would isopropyl alcohol work?

#28 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2008 - 07:29 PM

Isopropyl will work. 70% is a good concentration; some bottles from the store are already at 70%, some are more concentrated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users