Identification of darter

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:58 PM

I have not been able to catch any more darters. Even tried seining. Hours of netting and seining. I did however find two sirens, golden shiners and several grass pickerel that I didn't know were there. The pickerel really were a surprise because none were caught during earlier attempts. Probably a seasonal issue, warmer water maybe. I watched the pickerel and sirens with a flood light at night so I was able to observe their movements for a while, pretty neat. Next I think I will find out how many different species of bluegill I can find in the creek and learn to identify them.
I was completely floored by the quality of the pictures in your gallery! How do you get the black background and perfect detail? Amazing!

#22 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:21 PM

I was completely floored by the quality of the pictures in your gallery! How do you get the black background and perfect detail? Amazing!

Umm, I've not read this whole thread. Who are you asking about a gallery? Me?

#23 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Here's an E gracile (slough darter) from Arkansas:

Attached File  egracile01.jpg   26.65KB   0 downloads

#24 Guest_BoJones_*

Guest_BoJones_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

ITSME, Nice picture of the slough darter! Thanks for the post! I was refering to Dave Neeley's and the others in the NANFA Gallery, they are like yours, very clear and detailed photo's.

Whats the secret? To taking good photos?

#25 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 01:12 PM

ITSME, Nice picture of the slough darter! Thanks for the post! I was refering to Dave Neeley's and the others in the NANFA Gallery, they are like yours, very clear and detailed photo's.

Whats the secret? To taking good photos?

I'll let others who are better at it answer that one. I have a lot of trouble getting good lighting. Seems like that's the biggest thing. That and getting the fish to hold still in the position you want it. The outdoor photo tank method seems to be a good quick and dirty way to get it done. Sunlight is excellent. I have also been pleased with just shooting the fish in your hand or the net out of the water. Good lighting and no fooling around except when the fish jumps into the dirt and you have to wash it off! :) I get frustrated with with the auto focus on my point and shoot digital. It takes great photos, but sometimes the focus gets fooled, especially at close range. Has anybody found a manual focus digital for less than $200?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users