• Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:32 PM

http://www.wayneswor...s/ofish/YBH.jpg

Aha! NOW the name finally makes sense!

#3 Guest_legend707_*

Guest_legend707_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 03:34 PM

i even the small ones caught were bright yellow.

#4 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:44 PM

I have never seen A Yellow Bullhead that shade of Yellow. I have seen them kind of a creamish yellow but never like that. Infact, most of the Yellows I encounter on our place tend to be brown/black in coloration.

#5 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:50 PM

It's too bad they're such lousy community fish, or I'd try to talk you into getting one of those for me!

#6 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:53 PM

In my Opinion they are worth the effort of a species only tank. Some forum members have had luck keeping tankmates with Bullhead, althought many have had problems with it. I am growing out some sunfish to add to my 100gal Bullhead tank hopeing they will co-exist.

Edited by BullHeadsrdfish, 15 April 2008 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Guest_legend707_*

Guest_legend707_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

I also caught blue & channel cats in the same lake.

#8 Guest_bullhead_*

Guest_bullhead_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2008 - 10:05 PM

That is freaky yellow color, but I like it!

#9 Guest_dpiazza22_*

Guest_dpiazza22_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:07 AM

i have two like that in my tanks, well not that bright but still yellow and awesome looking! if you keeped any bright yellow guys i would be interested

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:21 PM

In my Opinion they are worth the effort of a species only tank. Some forum members have had luck keeping tankmates with Bullhead, althought many have had problems with it. I am growing out some sunfish to add to my 100gal Bullhead tank hopeing they will co-exist.

I'm one of those, and had good luck with creek chubs as 'roommates' and also kept them once in a sunfish tank (Pseeds from northern Ohio if I remember correctly)... bullheads are not bad community fish... as long as the community doesn'y fit in their mouth...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:31 PM

I've never had *any* problems with my brown & black bullheads in a tank with sunfish, bass, yellow perch, etc. They got a *tiny* bluegill one time, but no problems as long as I'm not keeping them with things that easily fit in their mouths. I find they actually do really well with sunfish, since they let the agressive sunfish run the tank by day (while the bullheads just hide), and then *they're* in charge at night -- but don't bother the sunfish as long as they can't eat them.

One nice thing is that they're not a "nippy" fish. Either they can eat something or they can't -- they don't tear fins apart on fish they can't fit in their mouths (as sunfish will do).

#12 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 01:51 PM

Agreed, As long as there tankmates are of appropriate size it usually works good. I have lost small fish to my Bullheads, but it has always been my fault. I will underestimate the size of a small (3-6'') Bullhead's mouth and have lost small sunfish and the like.
Large Aggressive Sunfish like Bluegill, Pumpkinseeds, Longear, Green Sunfish, and Redear would work the best in a community Bullhead tank IMO.

#13 Guest_diburning_*

Guest_diburning_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 04:43 PM

The river near my house has some BROWN bullheads with a bright mustard yellow color like that.

#14 Guest_fishtanker_*

Guest_fishtanker_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

Looks like I am bringing this back from the dead. Does anyone know if a yellow with this kind of coloration can be found anywhere in Va or north east north carolina, it is just stunning.

Thanks,
Rick

#15 Guest_Dustin_*

Guest_Dustin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:54 AM

These fish look very odd to me. I have collected all over SC, including extensively in the "lakes" I assume were referenced, and I have never seen anything like this. These fish are either a very odd anomaly or they are doctored in some manner. I wouldn't get my hopes up about finding these anywhere.

#16 Guest_smokin_*

Guest_smokin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2009 - 10:07 PM

heres a pic of my native living together no problems. i wish my yellow bullheads were that yellow!

Attached Images

• P2210248.JPG

Edited by smokin, 24 February 2009 - 10:08 PM.

#17 Guest_Ospot_*

Guest_Ospot_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 11:18 AM

Any chance that you might be able to send a couple of small specimens out to California?

#18 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 March 2009 - 10:15 PM

My yellow bullhead will attack anything that will get near him. Creek Chubs are too fast for him, he hasn't touched them. He has attacked fish bigger than him, very very aggresive toward them! He seems to be calmer toward the creek chubs, even tho they can fit in his mouth.

#19 Guest_factnfiction101_*

Guest_factnfiction101_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 March 2009 - 05:29 AM

Actually, he's doing good with his new tank mates. They're quite a bit bigger than him, but they are not aggressive toward him at all. He's a lot calmer than he use to be.

#20 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 April 2009 - 11:59 AM

I didn't see this mentioned so just thought I would say that that is most likely an albino, and if you were to catch some normal bullheads from the same lake, they would likely carry the gene and could be spawned to produce specimens like the one above.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users