Water Lillies in tanks

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 12:52 PM

Hi all. It just occurred to me that growing lily pads in a tank would be a great way to keep ammonia levels down. Since the surface of the leaf comes in contact with atmospheric CO2, the plant could probably use up a lot more ammonia than a submerged plant.

I went to Home Depot Sunday and bought two Water Lillies, one for the 55 and one for the 65. The one in the 65 is under a 65 watt compact fluorescent tube, and it's growing like gang busters. It's sent three new shoots up already, and it's only been a few days. None of the shoots have reached the water line yet.

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 02:42 PM

What a fun experiment! I'm not very familiar with CF tubes. How would it compare to regular fluorescent tubes? Woudl it be about the same amount of light as 2 40-watt T12 bulbs? If so, I really don't think it will be enough light. Water lillies generally need a lot of light. When I was studying their distribution, I never really found them in areas where they didn't get full sun all day long.

The other thing that may be of concern is that (at least our native N. odorata), they are really huge, too large for a 55-gallon I'd guess. But there are a lot of smaller varieties sold at the home stores, especially exotic ones that might fit the bill better.

For ammonia control, I don't think you need to worry about getting atmospheric CO2. A well planted tank will keep the nitrates (as well as ammonia and nitrite) exceedingly low. For example, for a couple years I had a well planted tank with a long-ear sunfish and many shiners. Never did water changes. Still have the sunfish, but in a different tank.

Just had a thought - if the water lilly doesn't work out, a floater like frogbit will extract nutrients well, and is easily harvested.

#3 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:31 PM

Thanks. Compact fluorescents are really bright, so they may match sunlight in intensity. I have floating plants in my other tanks. This one has a lot of current, so they'd likely end up squashed in a corner.

This tank has a big rock pile in it, so there isn't as much room for plants as there are in my other tanks.

The other neat trick for keeping tanks clean is to grow plants that don't mind having their roots submerged, like pothos or philodendron. I have some pothos growing out of a 29 high, and it really seems to be keeping the tank clean.

I'll watch to see how big the water lilly gets. If I have success with it under the compact, then I may look for a plant with smaller leaves.

Thanks.

What a fun experiment? I'm not very familiar with CF tubes. How would it compare to regular fluorescent tubes? Woudl it be about the same amount of light as 2 40-watt T12 bulbs? If so, I really don't think it will be enough light. Water lillies generally need a lot of light. When I was studying their distribution, I never really found them in areas where they didn't get full sun all day long.

The other thing that may be of concern is that (at least our native N. odorata), they are really huge, too large for a 55-gallon I'd guess. But there are a lot of smaller varieties sold at the home stores, especially exotic ones that might fit the bill better.

For ammonia control, I don't think you need to worry about getting atmospheric CO2. A well planted tank will keep the nitrates (as well as ammonia and nitrite) exceedingly low. For example, for a couple years I had a well planted tank with a long-ear sunfish and many shiners. Never did water changes. Still have the sunfish, but in a different tank.

Just had a thought - if the water lilly doesn't work out, a floater like frogbit will extract nutrients well, and is easily harvested.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

If by compact flourescent you mean the screw-in incandescent-replacements, they are actually slightly less efficient than traditional straight-tube flourescents. You get fewer lumens/watt.

Good luck with your lilies!

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 03:51 PM

It will be interesting to see how the lillies do with the current. In nature, they live in areas with very slow to no current, since the leaves need a still surface and the seeds need to be able to settle and germinate. But tank current is different from regular current - it doesn't necessariliy make the surface rough, and we don't have to wait for seed germination. As time goes on, please do keep us posted on the growth of this plant. I am very curious.

#6 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

this was an idea I had the other day while out fishing as well. I want to try to grab some lillies, but haven't gotten to it yet.

#7 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 10:56 AM

No, these are straight, high intensity lights sold for the purpose of growing plants in aquariums. They're usually used in conjunction with injected CO2.

If by compact flourescent you mean the screw-in incandescent-replacements, they are actually slightly less efficient than traditional straight-tube flourescents. You get fewer lumens/watt.

Good luck with your lilies!

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 11:00 AM

Are they the high-output T5s?

#9 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 02:53 PM

Yeah, something like that.

Are they the high-output T5s?

#10 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 03:36 PM

Compact fluorescent bulbs have the same tube size as a T5 but there are two side by side tubes that I believe are connected. I have attached a pic of a compact fluorescent bulb.

Attached Files

#11 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

I bought 4 HD lilies once. They all died. Yours will too.

#12 Guest_threegoldfish_*

Guest_threegoldfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2008 - 09:13 PM

I bought 4 HD lilies once. They all died. Yours will too.

Mine seem to have come back. Are they zombies?

#13 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 05:59 AM

Compact fluorescent bulbs have the same tube size as a T5 but there are two side by side tubes that I believe are connected. I have attached a pic of a compact fluorescent bulb.

Is that what's called a 'power compact'? Lighting terminology is confusing to me.

#14 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 06:31 AM

Is that what's called a 'power compact'? Lighting terminology is confusing to me.

I think the bulbs in Compact Fluorescent fixture are usually referred to as "power compacts"

#15 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 07:30 AM

I think the bulbs in Compact Fluorescent fixture are usually referred to as "power compacts"

Yep. they're all the same. If you're not doing halides, I'd recommend T5's as opposed to CF's. CF's need to be replaced at least every 9 months, while T5's have a longer effective life and are usually cheaper. You need more of them though. It may all even out in the end.

#16 Guest_dafrimpster_*

Guest_dafrimpster_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:13 AM

T5's should be more efficient than cf. Due to restrike from the dual tubes some light would be wasted. T5's with a good parabolic reflector are very efficient

#17 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:48 AM

Yes! This is it! The water lilly sent a single bright red leaf to the surface last night.

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 09:49 AM

Me want photos... :mrgreen:

#19 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:22 PM

I put water lillies in my tanks all the time
arrowhead plants do about the same and well grow ALOT faster :mrgreen:
Attached File  PICT3325.JPG   361.55KB   2 downloads

#20 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 April 2008 - 04:28 PM

Robert,
Do you know what species that is? I'd like to label the photo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users