Burn, baby, burn...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 06:43 PM

I always chalked it up to 'excitement' but now I am thinking it is more of a situation of fulfilling all the requirements for getting excited with high quality and high quantity of food being the element that provides the tipping point.

Yeah I don't think it's any accident that after 3 days of feeding supplementing with Sera flake foods, that this all happened. There's just no way to show it beyond an annecdote.

Todd

#22 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 09:04 PM

IIRC a short while after feeding or when they squabbles at least some race of yellowfins turn reddish and often with the black stripe turning silver. This seems different from burning breeding color though; the race I used to have turn bright red all over but still keep black stripe when spawning.

#23 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:45 AM

It's too bad these shiners don't have the really bright colors like the ones we see in Mississippi.

#24 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 10:50 AM

I've seen your Mississippi shiners...
Posted Image

Beautiful fish and great photos, Todd!

#25 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:11 AM

Nice! Where can I get one?

Oh wait a minute, that guy lives just down the road from me!

#26 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:13 AM

Pfffeeeew, yeah boy... Them MS Shiners shore are colorful! lol

Thanks Nathan :)

#27 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:32 PM

IIRC a short while after feeding or when they squabbles at least some race of yellowfins turn reddish and often with the black stripe turning silver. This seems different from burning breeding color though; the race I used to have turn bright red all over but still keep black stripe when spawning.

Yeah, not sure if I would say 'silver' but when mine first start to get excited and red there is a yellowish gold line just above the black stripe that gets very intense in color... I have never seen mine go all the way red, like I have seen in the books, but they very often get as bright or brighter than the 'purple head or peidmont or whatever todd called his one in the photos above'. Love my yellowfins.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#28 Guest_sschluet_*

Guest_sschluet_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:04 PM

Todd,
Kudos on the videos. Simply AWESOME!

Edited by sschluet, 25 April 2008 - 08:05 PM.

#29 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, not sure if I would say 'silver' but when mine first start to get excited and red there is a yellowish gold line just above the black stripe that gets very intense in color... I have never seen mine go all the way red, like I have seen in the books, but they very often get as bright or brighter than the 'purple head or peidmont or whatever todd called his one in the photos above'. Love my yellowfins.

No, I really mean the black stripe turn silvery, not the gold stripe above it :smile2: . They seems to be color like this only when 2 yellowfins swim palarell to each other aggressively [usually right after feeding] and rather brief. The breeding color [seems never more than half a day] is really bright red just like many photos, but without yellow head. The reddish with silvery stripe seems to be analogous to male rainbows in heat but not spawning mode - turning purplish red but still retain blue areas and fins and red&dark stripe.

Edited by tricolor, 26 April 2008 - 03:21 PM.

#30 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 26 April 2008 - 03:33 PM

No, I really mean the black stripe turn silvery, not the gold stripe above it :smile2: . They seems to be color like this only when 2 yellowfins swim palarell to each other aggressively [usually right after feeding] and rather brief. The breeding color [seems never more than half a day] is really bright red just like many photos, but without yellow head. The reddish with silvery stripe seems to be analogous to male rainbows in heat but not spawning mode - turning purplish red but still retain blue areas and fins and red&dark stripe.

OK, that's interesting, I don't think I have ever seen that coloration, I will have to look for it with my yellowfins...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users