Native to Oregon

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 08:56 PM

Hi,

I'm wondering if there are any here from Oregon? Specifically the Portland Metro Area?

I'm working on learning more about native fish. I understand we are allowed non-game fish caught with a non-barbed hook. I'm also interested in invertabraes, frogs and salamanders. I don't have an issue with getting a liscense, I just don't know where to go or what to look for.

At one time I had hoped to set up a tank at the high school I work at, but I find teachers are pulled in too many directions to be great aquariumists. So, now, I'd like to set up a tank at home whose denizens I can bring to school for specific events.

If you have advice you can offer, please feel free to post here or email me.

Thanks!

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2008 - 11:01 PM

We have several members there, but I don't remember hearing from any of them in a good while.

#3 Guest_AquaticEngineer_*

Guest_AquaticEngineer_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 January 2012 - 05:51 PM

I'm just outside of the Portland metro area, out in Damascus.

Anyone else currently on the forums in Oregon?

#4 Qwe

Qwe
  • NANFA Guest
  • western MA

Posted 21 October 2016 - 02:18 PM

Ressing this long dead thread to see if anyone is in the Oregon area these days? I just moved here (Aquarium Science program!), and would love to collect some killies or something in the Waldport area...

#5 Matt DeLaVega

Matt DeLaVega
  • Forum Staff
  • Ohio

Posted 23 October 2016 - 09:54 AM

Tom Watson is in Washington. Kind of close relatively speaking.

The member formerly known as Skipjack

#6 FishGuyJosh

FishGuyJosh
  • Regional Rep

Posted 24 October 2016 - 11:37 AM

And I'm in the San Francisco Bay area. Quite a ways away, but let me know if you're ever in the area.

FishGuyJosh

#7 fundulus

fundulus
  • Global Moderator

Posted 25 October 2016 - 06:44 PM

I don't know much about Oregon fishes, but I can say with great assurance you won't find any killifish species in the state, at least not native ones.
Bruce Stallsmith, Huntsville, Alabama, US of A

#8 Qwe

Qwe
  • NANFA Guest
  • western MA

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:19 PM

Not natives, but I know at least Lucania parva and Fundulus diaphanus are in Oregon waterways. All the more reason to collect them and get them out of the environment if they aren't native ;)

#9 costumekevin

costumekevin
  • NANFA Guest
  • Atlanta

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

Just Moved to Florence OR from Atlanta GA. I have my waders ready!

#10 Jmanrow

Jmanrow
  • NANFA Guest
  • Oregon

Posted 30 January 2023 - 06:37 PM

I realize that this is an old thread, but I am interested in any local Oregon chapters of NANFA. I'm glad to see that this thread is still here and not removed as a "dead thread", as there are many native fish keepers in this area! Any Pacific Northwest people out there? I am in Sherwood, Oregon, and would like to get together with people collecting some local fish.

Edited by Jmanrow, 30 January 2023 - 06:38 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users