• Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 03:30 PM

Should be simple for you guys. :smile2:

Posted Image

#2 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:47 PM

On the forum where I got this photo they're throwing the "H" word all over the place. Yeah, you know the word...

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

I'd call him a Dollar (Lepomis marginatus). Am I right?

#4 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 04:48 PM

green x northern bluegill, a hybrid

Edited by centrarchid, 25 April 2008 - 04:54 PM.

#5 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:23 PM

I'll second the green x bluegill, not that it needed seconded :) This is the typical color pattern for that cross.

Todd

#6 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:25 PM

They have the yellow-edged fins like a marginatus or auritus?

#7 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 05:39 PM

Yep, they're quite immaculate in that regard. Mean as heck in your tank. I've got one that I donated to the Lake Erie Center tank, and he'll even boss around the bowfin!

Todd

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 06:07 PM

They have the yellow-edged fins like a marginatus or auritus?

I've found them with other colored margines on the fins as well: white, orange, and red.

I would have to agree with Centrarchid and Todd on the species, green x bluegill hybid. Nice fish!!!

#9 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:19 PM

That's what they said at Pond Boss. Any guesses about the sex of the parents?

#10 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:23 PM

OK, that was too easy, what about this one?

Posted Image

#11 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 08:41 PM

Bluegill X warmouth?

#12 Guest_fish for brains_*

Guest_fish for brains_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:00 PM

I believe it's from a private pond and I've asked what species have been stocked. This is the same guy that has the GSF/BG hybrid, and I know he has Redears.

#13 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 09:31 PM

I believe it's from a private pond and I've asked what species have been stocked. This is the same guy that has the GSF/BG hybrid, and I know he has Redears.

Looks like 100% bluegill in breeding dress to me.

#14 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 April 2008 - 10:00 PM

OK, that was too easy, what about this one?

Obviously has bluegill in its lineage. Two species crossed with bluegill produce a hybrid that as a male in breeding dress has the darker (sometimes black) lower half typical of what is shown. The redspotted sunfish hybrid also has brown speckling on opercula with decidely floppy opercular tabs. The redear hybrid has a marbled appearance on operculum like shown and red of ear tabs partially to completely covered by black coming from bluegill parent. I think picture shown is a hybrid between a bluegill and a redear. Literature and personal observations indicate hybrid most likely redear dam x bluegill sire. Hybrids may not rule and seldom make a lasting impression but they do catch the eye from time to time.

#15 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 04:28 AM

I'll second the redear bluegill hybrid. The dark underside is a dead giveaway. Sometimes the red on the ear is a bit more noticeable than others.

Attached Files

#16 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 10:39 PM

I would say the first picture is a green/pumpkinseed myself. Just looks more pumpkinseedish than bluegill to me. The second looks very much like a bluegill male but the bluegill/redear suggestion makes sense.

#17 Guest_choupique_*

Guest_choupique_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2008 - 11:51 PM

I think the first fish that started this thread looks more like a pumpkin green cross. I kind of thought bluegill green, but those usually don't have all that orange color on thier bellies. Those are just the ones I have seen. It is possible depending which parent was which sex could determine how they look, and change this. Since green pumpkins I have seen are usually even more colorful as far as the blues go.

#18 Guest_natureman187_*

Guest_natureman187_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:38 AM

The original looks just like the bluegill greens from here, though I'm not familiar with any pumkinseed crosses....they're not around here 8)

Edited by natureman187, 27 April 2008 - 01:40 AM.

#19 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 April 2008 - 10:54 AM

I think the first fish that started this thread looks more like a pumpkin green cross. I kind of thought bluegill green, but those usually don't have all that orange color on thier bellies. Those are just the ones I have seen. It is possible depending which parent was which sex could determine how they look, and change this. Since green pumpkins I have seen are usually even more colorful as far as the blues go.

Pumpkinseed not likely present in drainage fish collected from south western Georgia. If fish derived from aquaculture production then most likely green x bluegill. I will acknowledge the first hybrid does have the orange spots typical of pumpkinseed hybrids.

#20 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:23 PM

I would say the very first one is a blue x green hybrid and the second set look like blue x redear to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users