Madtoms

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:27 AM

Trying to get some info on the Madtom species. Was wondering if they would do well in a current tank with darters/shiners or dace?

What do you feed them? ANy info will help,

Thanks,

NV

#2 Guest_rick_*

Guest_rick_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostNVCichlids, on Apr 30 2008, 08:27 AM, said:

Trying to get some info on the Madtom species. Was wondering if they would do well in a current tank with darters/shiners or dace?

What do you feed them? ANy info will help,

Thanks,

NV

Like most "groups", a lot depends on what species you are talking about...as there are many "madtoms".  I personally have kept Mountain Madtoms and Margined Madtoms in a swift current tank with Telescope Shiners, Tennessee Shiners, Warpaint Shiners,  Redline Darters, Greenside Darters...things that I find locally in the same habitat as the madtoms.  Other species, like perhaps Tadpole Madtoms, might not do so well in a tank with strong current.  My madtoms eat bloodworms and chopped earthworms.  Most of the madtoms I've kept you could go for weeks without a glimpse unless you peer into the tank with a flashlight after dark.  Special lighting might increase your viewing opportunities.

Rick

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:23 PM

View Postrick, on Apr 30 2008, 12:38 PM, said:

Like most "groups", a lot depends on what species you are talking about...as there are many "madtoms".  I personally have kept Mountain Madtoms and Margined Madtoms in a swift current tank with Telescope Shiners, Tennessee Shiners, Warpaint Shiners,  Redline Darters, Greenside Darters...things that I find locally in the same habitat as the madtoms.  Other species, like perhaps Tadpole Madtoms, might not do so well in a tank with strong current.  My madtoms eat bloodworms and chopped earthworms.  Most of the madtoms I've kept you could go for weeks without a glimpse unless you peer into the tank with a flashlight after dark.  Special lighting might increase your viewing opportunities.

Rick

I think the main types around here are the slender and the tadpole madtoms. I am not sure but I believe that is the two species.

#4 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:30 PM

I think you have stonecats (N. flavus) up there too, but they may be too big for your tank.

#5 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2008 - 06:42 PM

View PostNewt, on Apr 30 2008, 06:30 PM, said:

I think you have stonecats (N. flavus) up there too, but they may be too big for your tank.

Yeah, I don't want anything that gets too big, that is why I split ways with my brackish water tank.

Thanks though!

#6 Guest_BTDarters_*

Guest_BTDarters_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:05 AM

Nate,

The 3 species of madtoms we have in Wisconsin are the Tadpole Madtom (Noturus gyrinus), Stonecat (Noturus flavus), and Slender Madtom (Noturus exilis).  You won't want to get the Slender Madtom as they are endangered in Wisconsin.  It also sounds like a Stonecat will outgrow the tank you want to put him in.  That leaves you with the Tadpole Madtom.  I have attached my care sheet for Tadpole Madtoms below.  I currently keep Tadpole Madtoms with darters and various other minnows too large to be eaten.  They're really great cats!

Attached File  tadpole_madtom.pdf   167.51K   53 downloads

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:50 PM

View Postrick, on Apr 30 2008, 01:38 PM, said:

Rick
I will say that most tadpole madtoms are found in low flowing streams, yet the 2 I have are doing fine in high flow.

#8 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:01 PM

View Postkillier, on May 2 2008, 06:50 PM, said:

I will say that most tadpole madtoms are found in low flowing streams, yet the 2 I have are doing fine in high flow.

are those the ones you have for trade??

NV

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users