Bighead carp (Hypophthalmichthys nobilis)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 October 2006 - 09:20 AM

http://www.umesc.usg...sr_2000_05.html

http://www.epa.gov/g...sive/asiancarp/

http://www.washingto...5052100508.html

#2 Guest_Hunter_*

Guest_Hunter_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 12:47 PM

Wow =D> these things are HUGE.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2007 - 05:58 PM

very big but the pond my dad used to live on has(had) a grass carp thatwhen we foundly caught it weighed 62lbs

#4 Guest_bpkeck_*

Guest_bpkeck_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 08:00 PM

These guys along with silver carp, H. molitrix, and grass carp, Ctenopharyngodon idella, are actually pretty tasty critters. Catching them is a bit difficult, but we happened across some on the Miss. River and fried them up with some flathead and channel catfish. People actually preferred the carp to the catfish; about 18 college students, a few grad students, and others. The flesh is quite flaky and mild flavored; we did remove the red flesh near the midline of the filet, which probably helped with the flavor.

#5 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 February 2007 - 09:21 PM

Well here is one way to deal with them

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2007 - 01:45 AM

Well here is one way to deal with them

I'm holding out for skeet shooting...I have a Saiga 410 based on the Ak-47 action that is just waiting for a good Bighead shoot.

BTW...I have actually been on a electro fish boat with these suckers around...We quite seriously where using plywood and garbage can lids as shields to avoid getting knocked off the boat by these fish.

#7 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:17 PM

I can think of one way to at least reduce their numbers relatively quickly: quit dumping all the f---ing fertilizer into the Mississippi River Basin. These things are plankton feeders, and every time you get an algal bloom, you're going to have more of them. But I can't imagine that this would go over very well with the corn belt states. Gotta make that ethanol...

#8 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2007 - 05:46 PM

I can think of one way to at least reduce their numbers relatively quickly: quit dumping all the f---ing fertilizer into the Mississippi River Basin. These things are plankton feeders, and every time you get an algal bloom, you're going to have more of them. But I can't imagine that this would go over very well with the corn belt states. Gotta make that ethanol...

Thanks for having the decency to point out the destructiveness of a crash campaign to produce ethanol. Not only will it further pollute rivers, we'll re-invent the Dust Bowl too. Hurray!

#9 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:46 PM

Thanks for having the decency to point out the destructiveness of a crash campaign to produce ethanol. Not only will it further pollute rivers, we'll re-invent the Dust Bowl too. Hurray!

But wait, you forgot the exacerbation of the hypoxia problem in the Gulf of Mexico -- more fun times ahead! But I digress...

I've heard so much about this mild, flakey white carp flesh that I can't wait to try it. What do you say, Richard? You shoot 'em and I'll fry 'em. I'll be sure to bring plenty of panko bread crumbs.

#10 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:47 PM

I've heard so much about this mild, flakey white carp flesh that I can't wait to try it. What do you say, Richard? You shoot 'em and I'll fry 'em. I'll be sure to bring plenty of panko bread crumbs.

Sounds good to me :P

I actually almost bought one the other day..a nice good 2 footer at my local Asian market. I'm kind of curious myself how these rats taste. Grass carp I was not impressed with. Bighead is supposed to be better and more "catfish" like..

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:54 AM

dont like grass carp huh the little ones 1-2 feet long taste ok like big wild cats

#12 Guest_Crucian_*

Guest_Crucian_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

In areas of Europe where silver and bighead carp were introduced, people fish for them with bottom rigs using dough baits and popcorn. When there isn't a lot of plankton they'll even bite on lures and live bait. They abound in those areas where power plants dump hot water into rivers or lakes. In lakes and ponds they swim around in groups sunning themselves on the surface of the water. I haven't tried it, but that's an idea for spearfishing.

Those grass carp were probably not fresh, grass carp that are freshly killed and drained of blood taste good.

#13 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 03:46 PM

Hey someone else with the same idea as me! I really think its viable though. You're telling me people along the river in the southern reaches wouldn't shoot 50lb fish that come flying out of the water? You have zoned management areas, i.e. not where there are residential/commercial/industrial areas along the shore, so not to interfere with shipping, etc. etc. It would be as simple as slipping into an area, yelling "pull" while hammering down the throttle on your outboard in nuetral, and they come flying out of the water. It's not that much different than bowfishing. My only personal qualms are developing industries that encourage exploitation of exotics because that ultimately seems to lead to some believing that introducing more exotics means more industry rathern than just using it to get rid of/manage/exploit the problem.

I'm holding out for skeet shooting...I have a Saiga 410 based on the Ak-47 action that is just waiting for a good Bighead shoot.

BTW...I have actually been on a electro fish boat with these suckers around...We quite seriously where using plywood and garbage can lids as shields to avoid getting knocked off the boat by these fish.

#14 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2007 - 08:53 PM

Perhaps this is where NANFA can get involved promoting C4 patch grasses for ethanol? Renewable and perenial, needs no fertilizer or water, and stores carbon below ground in their 8-10' root systems. Oh, and that's like a ground water causeway too.

Bring on the bluestem!

Todd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users