Is a 30g tank too small for a grass pike?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_wdon71_*

Guest_wdon71_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 12:46 AM

Hello to everyone,
My name is Don, I would like to know in your more experienced opinions how long I can expect to keep my grass pike healthy in a 30 gal tank? He's been in there for a year and is now ~7.5" in length. Appears healthy, has a good appetite for home raised guppies and ghost shrimp along with store bought gold fish. It's just the grass pike and a 4-5 " Pleco that live in the tank. My water chemistry has not been a problem, the tank is planted enough that the pike will hide in the vegetation and only occasionally will startle. The reason I ask is because after discovering this forum and reading other posts I'm beginning to believe that when I was taught 1" of fish per gal it may have been in error. Whats your opinions?

#2 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:05 AM

Hello to everyone,
My name is Don, I would like to know in your more experienced opinions how long I can expect to keep my grass pike healthy in a 30 gal tank? He's been in there for a year and is now ~7.5" in length. Appears healthy, has a good appetite for home raised guppies and ghost shrimp along with store bought gold fish. It's just the grass pike and a 4-5 " Pleco that live in the tank. My water chemistry has not been a problem, the tank is planted enough that the pike will hide in the vegetation and only occasionally will startle. The reason I ask is because after discovering this forum and reading other posts I'm beginning to believe that when I was taught 1" of fish per gal it may have been in error. Whats your opinions?

That depends on you. Some people think they should have at least a 55 gallon tank(myself included) and others believe they can live happy and healthy in a 30 gallon tank all their life.

The "1 inch per gallon" rules really depends on the fish your keeping, the fish's activity, aggressiveness, and full size. You could keep ten three inch shiners in a 30 gallon no problem, but 3 10" redbreast sunfish need more like a 75 gallon tank.

#3 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:11 AM

Pickerel are not a very active fish, so you might be ok. I would not recommend it, as they can grow to be around 12 inches - and would not have enough room to turn in a 30 gallon. Therefore, I would go ahead and upgrade to at least a 55 if possible.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 08:11 PM

Pickerel are not a very active fish, so you might be ok. I would not recommend it, as they can grow to be around 12 inches - and would not have enough room to turn in a 30 gallon. Therefore, I would go ahead and upgrade to at least a 55 if possible.

If it cannot turn around in a 30, then it cannot turn around in a 55. They are the same width. the standard 55 gal is 12" wide and the standard 30 gal is 12" wide, so based on your statement, you should upgrade to either a 40 gal breeder or a 75 gallon tank, or any other decent length tank that is more than 12" wide.

#5 Guest_wdon71_*

Guest_wdon71_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 04:42 AM

Thank you all for your replies, I like the idea of the 40 gal breeder and the extra width, so I think I'll start looking for one and start the task of talking the wife into yet another tank. Again thanks.

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 07:26 AM

In general, not just for pickerel, the wider tanks are much nicer because you can keep biger fish in them than long tanks. I would think a 40 breeder would be a great tank for a grass pickerel.

#7 Guest_AppStateBimmer_*

Guest_AppStateBimmer_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:09 AM

If it cannot turn around in a 30, then it cannot turn around in a 55. They are the same width. the standard 55 gal is 12" wide and the standard 30 gal is 12" wide, so based on your statement, you should upgrade to either a 40 gal breeder or a 75 gallon tank, or any other decent length tank that is more than 12" wide.

hmm. that's strange. Mine is 14 inches.......oh well, not going to complain! :biggrin:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users