Telling the Difference in juvies

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*

Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:46 PM

I have 2 young pickerel in a tank together and i was thinking that they were both redfin/grass pickerel. After looking at the larger one though, which is probably around 2 in, I'm starting to think that it isnt actually a redfin. It has the tall bars but doesnt have the deep green coloring that most have. Instead, it is more of a pale green and olive. Anyways, does anyone have any pictures of young grass, redfin, and chain pickerel that they know for sure what they are? Maybe, a side-by-side that shows the differences in the two because i have read that the chains dont actually get the "chain" pattern until they are older. I will try to get pictures up soon but thanks for the help in advance.

#2 Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*

Guest_DCBuckeyeguy77_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Here are the pictures of the pickerel im unsure about. Can anyone ID it for me? Thanks.

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

Heh, looks like a chain's head on a grass's body. Can you get a shot of the underside of the head/throat area? There is a fairly good distinction in the number of branchiostegal rays.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

That is pretty distinctly a chain pickerel, although as Newt said, it does have the patterning of a grass/redfin. Definately a chain based on the head shape.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users