New Fish for the tank

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:55 PM

These are the new fish i managed to get out of the creek right down the street. The schooling behavior they exhibit is great to watch, they are exactly what i wanted.

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:00 PM

Very nice Rhinichthys!

#3 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:49 PM

Very nice Rhinichthys!

does that mean black nosed dace?

i have those here and they definatly school well

matthew

#4 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 May 2008 - 03:51 PM

It does mean black nose dace, and the creek down the street from me is literally crawling with these guys.

#5 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 01:23 PM

We, too, are covered up in these guys. I really enjoy my school on 10. These guys are little piggies. They eat so much and eat so fast. They adjusted very well to having little current in the tank and will learn to take flakes off of the surface.

#6 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

you are right willie,after 72 hours, these guys are fighting to be the first to the flake food. I was a little nervous about getting them, i was drawn to this site by the allure of having a bluegill or redear in my aquarium, but the personality these little guys show, and how they explore, or all line up in the current, I couldn't be happier. I was thinking of adding other species of minnow to my tank, any recommendations on what would go well with BND? They seem pretty peaceful to me, they are voracious eaters, but never nip at each other.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:52 PM

Other dace species (I think you have redside and northern redbelly dace in PA), small shiners, and darters should do well with blacknoses. How big a tank are they in?

#8 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 05:54 PM

Right now, they are all alone in a cycled ten gallon, i am waiting to move them in to a 20 gallon i am cycling now, it should be ready by June, so I have plenty of time to find some tankmates. I just couldn't bear to have a cycled ten gallon go to waste, so i put i n the dace with a small powerhead, now i think i might just leave it the way it is, i have really come to like this tank.
P.S.- -I am working on getting the plastic plants you can see in the picture out of the tank, and getting live plants in, but until i can find some plants, they are all i have.

Edited by pes142, 13 May 2008 - 05:56 PM.

#9 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:09 PM

I would move those guys to the 20 and add no more than one or two other small fish. Blacknoses can reach well over 4"; if you leave them in the 10 it'll be overstocked.

Of course, you could get a nice 33 gallon with a big sump and fit a few more fish in....

The spiral begins! :D

#10 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

Don't worry Newt, I have been circling that drain for a while. I am trying to get my room mates for next year to help me finance a bigger tank. They want me to set up a native tank in our apartment to show off to our guests, but right now, they want me to foot the bill. That can't happen, because frankly, I can't afford it. But with a little help, who Knows? I might be able to put together a little something...

#11 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 06:24 PM

Keep an eye on craigslist and local yard sales, etc.; sometimes you can get a whole setup for just a few bucks.

#12 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:02 PM

If i can find a better tank at the end of the summer when i move back up to school, I am going to try to get my hands on itm until then, i think the 20 is the biggest i can get my hands on

#13 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 07:33 PM

Blacknose dace are awesome captives. They were my first ever native species, over 3 decades ago, and still have some in my tanks today.
They can peacefully coexist with any species that can't eat them. A 20 gallon is a bit small for ten of them. Not much room for other species as Newt said.
Here in New England BND are almost always found mixed with common shiners and immature fallfish. Common shiners are great captives but would be too big too quickly on a 20. Fallfish, or creek chubs further west, are plain, boring and have deceptively large mouths and a hankerin for meat.

#14 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 May 2008 - 08:12 PM

I am going back to the stream i caught them in tomorrow, and i plan to spend a little more time trying to catch some more species. The creek is basically a drainage ditch at spots, sometimes less than a foot wide, but schools of these guys are in deeper pools below wider riffles. I will try to post some pics of the stream, it is right down the street from me. I never expected it to have anything worth keeping, but if there are BND in it, maybe i can catch a darter or some shiners of some kind. My plan right now is to set up the twenty, move the larger BND in there with a couple other fifsh, and keep the 10 as a habitat tank of the stream mentioned above, which right now is simply BND. The smaller fish should be fine in there for a while. If i can find any other species, i will add them, but right now all i can catch is BND, although they are ridiculously easy to catch in this particular stream.

#15 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 14 May 2008 - 08:37 AM

I was a little nervous about getting them, i was drawn to this site by the allure of having a bluegill or redear in my aquarium, but the personality these little guys show, and how they explore, or all line up in the current, I couldn't be happier.

Fantastic... another guy converted to the beauty and interest of the small active fishes... love those minnows.

BND are really great fish. They were plentiful in some places I used to go in Ohio... if I remember correctly they had no problem living with rainbow and johnny darters... given your size tank, that would likely be the best tank-mates... now get a larger tank and your can add some chub action... love those minnows!
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#16 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:46 AM

Here are some better pictures of the tanks the BND are in right now. I think i tlooks pretty good for a first attempt, and only a ten gallon at that. I think it is funny, these little fish make my mom nervous. She said they dart around too much, not like the tropical fish she has in her classroom at school. I think she is just jealous.

#17 Guest_mikez_*

Guest_mikez_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:08 AM

Very nice!
Those dace are quite happy judging by the golden glow they have.
You might consider a small powerhead at one end to give a bit of current. The fish will be fine without it but it adds some realism to the display.

#18 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:25 AM

Very nice!
Those dace are quite happy judging by the golden glow they have.
You might consider a small powerhead at one end to give a bit of current. The fish will be fine without it but it adds some realism to the display.

I am glad to hear that they look happy. If you look in the upper left corner of the tank, i have a small powerhead in there already. It is only rated at 130 GPH, but in a ten gallon tank i figured that was plenty. Until i added the powerhead, the BND just sat on the bottom. Now they dart all over the tank, hold in current, and generally seem happier than when i put them in.

#19 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:24 PM

Good to see they are doing well. They must be quite small still judging by your pics of the tank. As someone mentioned earlier - they will grow out of that tank. I have a few smaller ones, but most of mine are between 4 and 5 inches. They certainly are the life of the aquarium. I have mine with 4 striped shiners and they don't bother them. They tend to stay in their own schools. Just a warning ... I housed my girlfriends guppies in my tank for a few weeks while she moved into a new apartment, they got a long fine, but each morning after a week, there was one less fish every morning. I reckon they most have eaten all of them. The guppies were pretty ;arge, but I guess small enough to look like food I guess. So when they get bigger, just watch out out for smaller fish - the must be very quick.

#20 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

Other dace species (I think you have redside and northern redbelly dace in PA)...

Northern redbelly dace are presumed to be extirpated from Pennsylvania. We have southern redbelly dace, and they are listed as endangered. If he's going to get them, it won't be from Pennsylvania.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users