Need plans for a DIY minnow trap

3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:07 PM

I am looking for the best possible DIY minnow trap, not so much for catching minnows as it will be for catching smaller things. Dredcon has a post about his contraption but never posted how to make it. It will be used in water that is about 2-4' deep and will need to have a light in it to help attract smaller animals and fish.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make one, or have the plans or pictures of one that is made?

I have made several 2 liter bottle ones and modified them and modified them to a point that some wouldn't even stay together. Still no luck on getting one to actually retain what I am wanting it to retain. The largest thing that I would want it to allow in would be nothing bigger than a pygmy sunfish at best.

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:56 PM

I am looking for the best possible DIY minnow trap, not so much for catching minnows as it will be for catching smaller things. Dredcon has a post about his contraption but never posted how to make it. It will be used in water that is about 2-4' deep and will need to have a light in it to help attract smaller animals and fish.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to make one, or have the plans or pictures of one that is made?

I'd take a look at how lobster traps are made. That's essentially what you want to mimic, just with tighter mesh. Also, check http://www.terrybull...wfishStart.html for a crayfish trap. The site seems to be down right now, but I think he had a very good design there.

Whatever you do, I would make it rectangular, not cylindrical. Cylindrical traps seem like more work and don't put as much of the trap on the bottom, which would be a problem for things like darters, sculpins, and anything else benthic.

Edited by jase, 14 May 2008 - 12:58 PM.

#3 Guest_netmaker_*

Guest_netmaker_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:38 PM

What you might look at is a Pinfish Trap.
It's rectangular, 2'x2'x10" high
It has multiple entry.
It has approx. a 1/4" x 1/4" square opening

If you need smaller mesh, you'll have to locate something in a Galv. wire screen.

Another avenue is a Gee Minnow trap. It's round but it has the smaller mesh. Put in a 3x3 chunk of styrofoam as minnows love to hit anything white.
If you're looking for larger fish, add a can of cheap Sardines....just punch the can a few times with a nail.

PM me if you can't locate what you want. I'll see what i can come up with around the shop here.

what are your parameters for the target species? girth x length

sa va,
netmaker

#4 Guest_nativecollector_*

Guest_nativecollector_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

what are your parameters for the target species? girth x length

I am looking for larval sized fish. The largest of them would be at most 1/4" in length. I found the design that dredcon used but to get those parts are rather expensive, for what I am wanting to put into the trap. I am thinking that if there was a way to put a kem light in a plastic tube and still be able to close off the ends with a brine shrimp net sized mesh, that would be what I am after. The problem I see with this is there is no way to attach the net in a way that it would hold a inward cone shape that would allow fish in but not out.

Most of the pinfish traps look good, but all the mesh is way to big for what I am after. Although I guess I could try to cover one with a smaller mesh net to help.

I am going to start trying to put some ideas into play over the weekend to see what I can come up with. If anyone has any ideas please post them up.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users