Any Good Collecting Waters in Michigan?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 12:46 PM

I'm only 15 and can't drive yet,but I have the rouge river about 5 min away walking. St.clair is about an hour away. Oh yeah i'm located in Birmingham,Mi. I'm intrested in collecting pickeral and such other predatory fish. Where do you guys collect your fish? i'm new and I need some advice.

Thanks,
Nerf

#2 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

I'm only 15 and can't drive yet,but I have the rouge river about 5 min away walking. St.clair is about an hour away. Oh yeah i'm located in Birmingham,Mi. I'm intrested in collecting pickeral and such other predatory fish. Where do you guys collect your fish? i'm new and I need some advice.
Thanks,
Nerf

Best spot somewhat close to you would be Rose Oaks park for Pickerel. Access is limited but with some time you can find good habitat. Ester lake I know has these as I did sample a few in there some years back.

As for any of the River parks in Birmingham I have not sampled any so have little idea about access or habit that would support these fish.

#3 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 01:33 PM

How would I collect t these and where at the lake?

#4 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2008 - 11:05 PM

How would I collect t these and where at the lake?

Find areas with heavy plant growth and start going at it with a dip net. If you can get a buddy or two to help you you can try to seine it by surrounding a spot of vegetation with the net then stomping the plants which will send the fish into the net. Really this is kind of something you learn to do by doing it and not something easily taught over the internet.

I'd be willing to show you some techniques but you would need get your parents approval and come down to Belle Isle in Detroit. We are always doing some type of sampling or another on the Island and your welcome to come down. PM me if interested and I can set up a day here at the Nature center where you can come for a visit and I can lead you through some of the basics of fish collecting in a hands on manner...

#5 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2008 - 12:51 PM

That would be cool sometime, thanks for the consideration!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users