Bullhead or Madtom?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_glaquarium_*

Guest_glaquarium_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:15 PM

We were recently lucky enough to receive some of the bycatch from our area's smelt fisherman and were given what I originally thought was a tadpole madtom. Upon closer inspection, however, I'm thinking that the fish is awfully big for a madtom and may actually be a bullhead, even though we're a little far north for that. Does anyone know of a reliable way to differentiate between tadpole madtoms and bullheads (other than waiting to see if he gets any bigger?).

Thanks!
Barb Nelson
Aquarist
Great Lakes Aquarium, Duluth, MN

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 01:28 PM

Madtom- adipose fin is fused to back along its entire length, and is often contiguous with caudal fin.

Bullhead- adipose fin is a distinct lobe, separate from caudal fin.

#3 Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*

Guest_BullHeadsrdfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 04:30 PM

If you could supply a good photo of the catfish a positive ID could certainly be made.

#4 Guest_glaquarium_*

Guest_glaquarium_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2008 - 06:16 PM

Thanks, that's what I thought - that means we might have another misidentified "madtom" on site, since I was comparing the two and they both have separate adipose fins.

I will try to get a picture of both.

Madtom- adipose fin is fused to back along its entire length, and is often contiguous with caudal fin.

Bullhead- adipose fin is a distinct lobe, separate from caudal fin.

#5 Guest_Slasher_*

Guest_Slasher_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 May 2008 - 07:51 PM

Let it poke you with its side fins. Based on how bad it hurts, I could probably tell you what it is :smile2:

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users