My junk

21 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:40 PM

This first one is a Cummings dip net. I first saw this used by my buddy Duckman. Since then it's been recommended by others. I put "grip tape" on the handles as many others do. This is by far the most durable net I've yet used. The wire guard in front prolongs life tremendously.

This net is a bit heavy but this is also what I expect from something this durable. I wish I had purchased a smaller mesh size though (not sure if available in a smaller mesh size).

Attached Images

• cummings1.jpg
  • cummings2.jpg
  • cummings3.jpg

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

This is a landing net for trout fisherman. I use this since it can be folded to fit in my back pack. It's great when collecting in remote locations that require lots of brush busting. It never leaves my car trunk. Fine mesh and telescoping handle makes this a net for collectors.

This isn't a durable net. No guard makes this net a bit fragile as far as the mesh is concerned.

Attached Images

• collapse1.jpg
  • collapse2.jpg
  • collapse3.jpg

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

This is a nice little holding container that fits inside a standard 5 gallon bucket. The main advantage to this device is the fact that you can store fish in the water you collect while on those all day events, makes a great half way device when far from the car.

I should also mention the fact that a dark 5 gallon bucket is ideal for taking photos (colors don't wash out on fish) and also may help reduce stress for transport. All of my pails are green, brown or blue.

Attached Images

• holdingbox1.jpg
  • holdingbox2.jpg
  • holdingbox3.jpg

#4 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:30 PM

Good idea on the bucket thing - I use one of those flow-through bait buckets in exactly the same way. I tie the bait bucket to my wrist with a length of rope and it follows me on the stream wherever I go.

#5 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 October 2006 - 10:37 PM

Good idea on the bucket thing - I use one of those flow-through bait buckets in exactly the same way. I tie the bait bucket to my wrist with a length of rope and it follows me on the stream wherever I go.

I saw this use of the bait bucket when I was collecting with Ranger Bob. The only issue is that smaller fish will find their way out. We lost a handful of smallish darters this way. He had his tied to his belt? and it would get in the way sometimes but other than that, a really good idea.

#6 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

If the temps are cool enough outside, I just stuff a 1/2 gal size Gatorade bottle in the front of my waders. I just catch the fish and stick them in. Every once in a while I will go dump in a larger container. The larger opening in the bottle makes for fewer down the wader incidents.

#7 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

If the temps are cool enough outside, I just stuff a 1/2 gal size Gatorade bottle in the front of my waders. I just catch the fish and stick them in. Every once in a while I will go dump in a larger container. The larger opening in the bottle makes for fewer down the wader incidents.

What y'all need to picture here is the little dance he does when he "misses" the bottle opening with a madtom. Funny stuff!

Chip

#8 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:34 PM

The only issue is that smaller fish will find their way out.

As a rule I don't try to keep fishes that small, but I have considered gluing window screen over the holes (from the inside) to keep that from happening. It would only take a few minutes to make that modification.

#9 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:27 PM

Uland, Bernie uses one of those fold-up nets, sold as "pond" nets, a lot on fishing trips as it travels pretty easily. His also has a smaller mesh so we can sample the smaller (easier to catch) fish to get an idea of what the larger ones are.

Chip, got any pics or video? :D

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:55 PM

Uland, Bernie uses one of those fold-up nets, sold as "pond" nets, a lot on fishing trips as it travels pretty easily. His also has a smaller mesh so we can sample the smaller (easier to catch) fish to get an idea of what the larger ones are.

Chip, got any pics or video? :D

Actually this isn't the same net as the "pond net" often sold for Koi ponds. It looks very similar though. This net has a metal telescoping pole and metal collapsible hinge instead of plastic parts.

Net link:http://tinyurl.com/yc6aob

What y'all need to picture here is the little dance he does when he "misses" the bottle opening with a madtom. Funny stuff!

It's a wise man that keeps madtoms far from his soft parts.

While on the Sugar creek trip, Bill had something similar to the Gatorade bottle but he had a shoulder strap for it. I've learned some neat stuff from this group!

#11 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2006 - 03:59 PM

Wow, I will have to tell him. He pays that much for the cheaper plastic versions.

#12 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2007 - 09:09 PM

What kind of bait bucket?

#13 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 06:05 AM

What kind of bait bucket?

I don't remember the name - I got it at Wal-mart or something, and they have 'em at Bass Pros Shops too. They have holes in the top and sides, and float on their side when they are in the water. There is a spring-loaded trap door on them. Anyway, they are pretty easy to find.

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 07:57 AM

I've noticed a few guys use the "Plano" brand #800 bucket

see bucket here

As Irate mentioned, the tiny ones can slip through but hot glue and window screen should fix this in a matter on minutes if you intend to collect tiny fishes.

#15 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 08:40 AM

I've noticed a few guys use the "Plano" brand #800 bucket

see bucket here

As Irate mentioned, the tiny ones can slip through but hot glue and window screen should fix this in a matter on minutes if you intend to collect tiny fishes.

Would you recommend this or a similar bucket for beginners? Hot glue and widow screen is an easy fix. I am just starting to get my gear and basically would like to know what to get. I'm going to get a cumings net, i have a 4'x4' seine and i have a bait bucket with battery powered areator already.

Thanks Telost for this post, It was very helpful to me.

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 09:40 AM

Would you recommend this or a similar bucket for beginners? Hot glue and widow screen is an easy fix. I am just starting to get my gear and basically would like to know what to get. I'm going to get a cumings net, i have a 4'x4' seine and i have a bait bucket with battery powered areator already.

Thanks Telost for this post, It was very helpful to me.

To be honest, I'd recommend a dark colored 5 gallon bucket if you have the room for such a container. 5 Gallon buckets are indestructible, available at most home improvement centers for less than $3 and make fine transport containers. Since this is such a small investment you can make up your mind once you see what other guys do.

This is a group of folks that have ideas as diverse as the fishes that live here. I can't tell you that any real "standard" is out there for containers. I've seen some great ideas from sampling trips and learn more each trip, I suspect you will as well.

If you really want a flow through bucket, this "minnow bucket" would be hard to go wrong with.

#17 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:58 AM

I actually use both.

#18 Guest_tglassburner_*

Guest_tglassburner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:59 AM

I actually use both.

Would you recommend the flow through?

#19 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 02:46 PM

Ask Drew how indestructable those 5 gallons are. :razz:

#20 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 03:41 PM

Would you recommend the flow through?

Yup, keeps the fish cool, and in fresh water.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users