Breeding Crappie?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:29 PM

I dug my pond out and have two black crappie in there right now, I plan on breading them. I put live minnows/rosies in there everyday. Any tips on doing so?

Thanks,
Nerf

#2 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

How big do you want them to be before you bread them? I like my fish to be at least a couple of pounds before I'll bother filleting them... Oh wait, did you say breed them?! Oh, that's a whole other kettle of... well, you know what I mean :biggrin: I think the first thing will be to make sure you have a boy and a girl. Can't help you with that, since I don't know enough about crappies. But in general, feed them well. Good quality food. Live minnows, etc. Keep the water as clean as possible. Do some research on what time of year crappies spawn. Take out the parents after the eggs hatch if you want to rear the fry in a pond that size. Others may be more helpful on this one.

#3 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 May 2008 - 09:28 PM

Do some research on what time of year crappies spawn.

It's probably temperature dependent rather than strictly seasonal. I'm sure it's probably fairly well-documented somewhere, but I don't recall seeing anything about it on the forum on NANFA list. I wonder if others here have bred them? Most folks are sticking to the smaller sunfish species, especially since gamefish are problematic to keep in many states.

#4 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 01:36 PM

Ok thanks for the info!

#5 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:43 PM

Ok thanks for the info!

Look around on the internet and see if you can find some more info. I'm sure that someone has bred them before and documented some info about it. Keep us updated. Im interested to hear what you find out. Good luck! :biggrin:

Edited by rockbassbud5, 28 May 2008 - 03:43 PM.

#6 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2008 - 01:18 PM

Yeah, I will look around for some information!

#7 Guest_centrarchid_*

Guest_centrarchid_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 May 2008 - 07:19 AM

Yeah, I will look around for some information!

Normally, both species of crappie and the similar flier gear up up to breed as the temperature increases into the lower 60īs and the photoperiod is early / middle spring. Both sexes need to be in good condition the fall before otherwise reproduction following spring unlikely. I have gotten males to nest out of season with cool water and bright long duration light but females not so easy. Also females produce very many small eggs resulting in some very difficult to rear larvae. In small ponds too many fry likely and stunting will follow. Keep numbers low. You made need to study up on zooplanton succession as well. Need succession to be synchronized with larval and fry development.

#8 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 01:43 PM

Normally, both species of crappie and the similar flier gear up up to breed as the temperature increases into the lower 60īs and the photoperiod is early / middle spring. Both sexes need to be in good condition the fall before otherwise reproduction following spring unlikely. I have gotten males to nest out of season with cool water and bright long duration light but females not so easy. Also females produce very many small eggs resulting in some very difficult to rear larvae. In small ponds too many fry likely and stunting will follow. Keep numbers low. You made need to study up on zooplanton succession as well. Need succession to be synchronized with larval and fry development.

Thank you man, everything helps!

#9 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 June 2008 - 10:19 PM

Where I live NC crappie spawn in April

#10 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:20 PM

I would think that it would also be the same in Michigan?

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 06:52 PM

Given the difference in latitude and climate between NC and MI I would not think spawning times are similar.

#12 Guest_nerfgunner_*

Guest_nerfgunner_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 07:17 PM

Really, ok? I always thought they did?

#13 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 June 2008 - 08:37 PM

Huh? Always thought the did what?

As centrachid said, water temperatures in the lower 60s and the coinciding photoperiod are when crappie typically spawn. If you live in Michigan, the water doesn't reach 60 the same day, let alone month, as would most waters in North Carolina. The ice hasn't even been gone that long from that area of the Midwest in April.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users