Snails for a 20 gallon tank

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

I was wondering what type of snails would work well in a 20 gallon tank that would not breed. I have had problems in the past with some snail species and was just hoping for some insight on what types make good cleaners in a tank that will house banded sunfish and topminnows?

thanks, NV

#2 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 04:07 PM

I was wondering what type of snails would work well in a 20 gallon tank that would not breed. I have had problems in the past with some snail species and was just hoping for some insight on what types make good cleaners in a tank that will house banded sunfish and topminnows?
thanks, NV

I believe Olive Nerites would work? I think there was an AC article a couple years ago about them, stating that they're a marine snail and will not breed successfully in fresh water. But... didn't the reshwater pipefish article just recently say that the pipefish ate larval olive nerites (indicating that the *do* breed)? I'm a bit confused. Anyone else?

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 06:06 PM

On rare occasion my Olive nerites produce successful offspring in freshwater.

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2008 - 07:03 PM

that is the species I was watching for on aquabid, cause I remember reading something about them aswell, but didn't remember the name.

thanks guys!

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:29 AM

On rare occasion my Olive nerites produce successful offspring in freshwater.

Uland,
Under what conditions are you able to do this?

#6 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:47 AM

Uland,
Under what conditions are you able to do this?

Laura,

I'm really not trying, to be honest. I can say that I once took Olive nerites from a boat ramp about a year ago and I now have lil' guys in a few tanks. Once at home they immediately began producing great many egg masses (little white dots). With my naturally "hard" water and addition of 2 TBS salt per 5 gallons in unplanted tanks, I was concerned they might have many viable offspring. I placed a few nerites in both planted tanks in the basement (no salt) and unplanted tanks upstairs (with salt) and in both circumstances they have produced very few young. The one thing that seems to connect the tanks with viable young are tanks that produce the most algae.

Edited by teleost, 04 June 2008 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 10:50 AM

[edit: seems I was replying at the same time as Uland. Uland, do you see the larvae at all?]

Who wrote the pipefish AC article? I'm at work and don't have it. They mentioned having the free-swimming larva of olive nerites in the tank daily. That indicates that they're breeding a lot, but maybe the free-swimming larvae usually die eventually in freshwater?

Wonder if you could keep the snails in freswater and transfer the larvae to brackish/salty water as desired to get them to survive?

Who wrote the original AC article about nerites? Title was something like "A marine snail for your freshwater aquarium". I seem to remember it being someone whose name I see a lot.

Edited by jase, 04 June 2008 - 10:52 AM.

#8 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

Dang. I thought maybe you were on to something. I have heared that the larvae are difficult if not impossible to raise. Being far from their habitat, it would be nice if I could get them to reproduce. I have plenty of eggs, but no larvae that I have seen. Not sure if one can see them with the naked eye, though.

#9 Guest_jase_*

Guest_jase_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 11:59 AM

Laura, I'm really not trying to be honest. I can say that I once took Olive nerites from a boat ramp[...]

Gotta love how much difference punctuation can make. I suspect you meant "I'm really not trying, to be honest." ;)

#10 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:03 PM

Gotta love how much difference punctuation can make. I suspect you meant "I'm really not trying, to be honest." ;)

Hehe, Honesty always gets in the way :biggrin:
You're right Jase, a comma is needed there :blush:

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 June 2008 - 12:18 PM

HA! Boy, am I slow today. I was confused until now....

Need more caffeine... :blink:

#12 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:34 AM

Toss in a couple of darters. They'll take care of your snail problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users