Georgia collecting trip

35 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 June 2008 - 09:37 PM

Michael Wolfe and I have been talking about getting out doing some collecting (if the water doesn't dry up in this GA heat first) soon and are thinking about either going down to south GA (not sure where yet) or staying up near Sandersville. If anybody wants to join us just let us know, and when we find out who all's going we can work out an exact date when everybody can go.

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 June 2008 - 07:59 PM

Michael Wolfe and I have been talking about getting out doing some collecting (if the water doesn't dry up in this GA heat first) soon and are thinking about either going down to south GA (not sure where yet) or staying up near Sandersville. If anybody wants to join us just let us know, and when we find out who all's going we can work out an exact date when everybody can go.

Steve is talking about some of the locations in moddle south georgia that I was able to go to a month or so ago with khudgins... these are tannin stained streams... last time out we saw pteronotropis, pirate perch, elassoma, esox, spotted sunfish, and some other stuff I don't remember right now... and that's not counting the stuff I'm sure we missed based on the limited number of nets we have... I have a second seine now so we should be able to do even better.

Second option is if one of you south georgia guys wants to speak up, we may be up for driving down for the day... maybe scope out some omatta?
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 08:21 AM

Steve is talking about some of the locations in moddle south georgia that I was able to go to a month or so ago with khudgins... these are tannin stained streams... last time out we saw pteronotropis, pirate perch, elassoma, esox, spotted sunfish, and some other stuff I don't remember right now... and that's not counting the stuff I'm sure we missed based on the limited number of nets we have... I have a second seine now so we should be able to do even better.

Second option is if one of you south georgia guys wants to speak up, we may be up for driving down for the day... maybe scope out some omatta?

What's the target date for this fishing trip? I have a tank to fill! (Besides, I'd go if I didn't have a tank if I'm free that day)

#4 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 10 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

What's the target date for this fishing trip? I have a tank to fill! (Besides, I'd go if I didn't have a tank if I'm free that day)

I was thinking maybe the 21st... I would like to go back to that last spot that we didn't get to sample becasue of the rain... I am also open to other locations if someone has some they are familiar with... I think steve was hoping some of our south georgia friends would speak up and we coul dhead down there and see some different fish.
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#5 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 10:20 PM

I was thinking maybe the 21st... I would like to go back to that last spot that we didn't get to sample becasue of the rain... I am also open to other locations if someone has some they are familiar with... I think steve was hoping some of our south georgia friends would speak up and we coul dhead down there and see some different fish.

The 21st looks good for me. Count me in, wherever it is. I have a 55 gallon tank with room for plenty of fish, and a hankering to put some fish in it. ;P

#6 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 11:55 AM

The 21st looks good for me. Count me in, wherever it is. I have a 55 gallon tank with room for plenty of fish, and a hankering to put some fish in it. ;P

I can't make the 21st, because it's the day 'fore my dad's birthday.
I'm fine with collecting up here or going down south whichever works out best for y'all. The main reason I wanted to head down there is for the ommata.

#7 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:04 PM

I can't make the 21st, because it's the day 'fore my dad's birthday.
I'm fine with collecting up here or going down south whichever works out best for y'all. The main reason I wanted to head down there is for the ommata.

What about the 28th?

#8 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 01:27 PM

What about the 28th?

I can make the 28th as long as it's after 1:00 (work). I'll be in Atlanta though, so I could come straight from work to meet y'all if we collect up where y'all were at last time.

#9 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 02:59 PM

I can't do the 28th. Prior obligations and all that. 29th I can probably swing.

#10 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 June 2008 - 03:45 PM

I can't do the 28th. Prior obligations and all that. 29th I can probably swing.

I can do the 29th after church.

#11 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:08 AM

Any consensus on when we're doing this thing? If possible, I'd like to get the scheduling down tight so I can plan around everything.

#12 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 16 June 2008 - 09:18 PM

Any consensus on when we're doing this thing? If possible, I'd like to get the scheduling down tight so I can plan around everything.

Looks like Steve cannot make it this weekend, and you cannot make it next saturday, so its down to Sunday afternoon. I'm OK with the 29th, it just doesn't leave us as much time... we will have to meet around 1:30 or 2:00. If that is the case, I think we will go directly to that last site that you and I saw, but did not sample. It should be pretty good and if so we will likely only get the one site in... but that should be enough really... there are a couple of different habitats there, so we should be abl eot find some interesting fish (including hopefully pteronotropis stonei).

#13 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2008 - 09:12 AM

Sounds good. Did you ever get a new seine?

What gear should I bring? (Not that I have much)

#14 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 June 2008 - 08:20 AM

Sounds good. Did you ever get a new seine?

What gear should I bring? (Not that I have much)

Yes, I got a smaller mesh seine... has never been wet yet... I will bring it and the regular one that I had before, and my dip nets... You should bring a cooler to transport your fish back to your house... and depending on the circumstances, I may need you to drive since I might be stuck with just my small car.

#15 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:03 AM

Sounds good. I have no problem driving - you did it last time, I'm due. ;P If there's three of us, it might get tight in my little jeep with all the gear. I'll bring towels, too - it's warm enough that we won't need the waders as much.

Anything else that's needed? I'm still a novice. ;P

#16 Guest_fishlvr_*

Guest_fishlvr_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2008 - 10:36 AM

Where are we gonna meet up at? Are we gonna meet at the collecting site?

#17 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 18 June 2008 - 07:42 PM

Sounds good. I have no problem driving - you did it last time, I'm due. ;P If there's three of us, it might get tight in my little jeep with all the gear. I'll bring towels, too - it's warm enough that we won't need the waders as much.

Anything else that's needed? I'm still a novice. ;P

We might end up taking two cars... looks like steve will be bringing someone else with him... looks like we've got everything covered... your right about towels that's a good idea so we don't mess up your car.

We can meet at the Waffle House on the south side of the intersection of I20 and 441 at 2:00pm.

We will leave from there and follow my map to the site we scouted out before (steve, you can of courdse follow us, but I will also show you the map once we meet up at the Waffle House).

#18 Guest_khudgins_*

Guest_khudgins_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2008 - 09:25 AM

We might end up taking two cars... looks like steve will be bringing someone else with him... looks like we've got everything covered... your right about towels that's a good idea so we don't mess up your car.

We can meet at the Waffle House on the south side of the intersection of I20 and 441 at 2:00pm.

We will leave from there and follow my map to the site we scouted out before (steve, you can of courdse follow us, but I will also show you the map once we meet up at the Waffle House).

Sounds good. Not that my jeep's all that pristine, but hey, you do what you can. One warning: the AC has been acting up lately, so we may be in for a warm afternoon.

I'll see you at 2:00pm on the 29th. If you want to do anything this weekend, I'm sure we can arrange something as well.

#19 Guest_birdpond_*

Guest_birdpond_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 02:53 AM

Hi I'm a brand new member and novice, very interested in learning as much as I can. Just getting back to fish keeping after nearly a decade. Once found some heterandria among some feeder guppies in a pet store tank, bought them, added them to a tiny metal frame and glass tank with some java ferns and java moss and they lived for years. Ever since then I have had a dream of keeping native fishes the RIGHT way and helping conserve them.

Currently installing a small 60 gallon pond (my first) and wanting to keep and breed natives, both for the love of the animals and to help keep gene pools going. Have a LOT to learn! Would love to strike up some friendships and get back to activites I adore (have some field collecting experience w/herps but not with fish).

I need to learn EVERYTHING.

I'm in the Norcross / Greater Atlanta area.

Hope to hear back,

Thanks!

#20 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors

Posted 02 July 2008 - 08:30 AM

Hi I'm a brand new member and novice, very interested in learning as much as I can. Just getting back to fish keeping after nearly a decade. Once found some heterandria among some feeder guppies in a pet store tank, bought them, added them to a tiny metal frame and glass tank with some java ferns and java moss and they lived for years. Ever since then I have had a dream of keeping native fishes the RIGHT way and helping conserve them.

Currently installing a small 60 gallon pond (my first) and wanting to keep and breed natives, both for the love of the animals and to help keep gene pools going. Have a LOT to learn! Would love to strike up some friendships and get back to activites I adore (have some field collecting experience w/herps but not with fish).

I need to learn EVERYTHING.

I'm in the Norcross / Greater Atlanta area.

Hope to hear back,

Thanks!

Welcome! Too bad you missed the trip last weekend, we had a great time, and saw some good stuff. Keep up with the list, you are more than welcome to join us the next time we are out. I have a little collecting spot oever in the Buford area, so I know that you have some nice fish right in your area.

In a small 60, you might do well to consider some of the top minnows that are native to south Georgia (Fundulus chysotus, or cingulatus). They are great looking fish, easy to care for and will breed for you in a container like that in our area. I don't have any to give away right now, but you can buy them from some folks on-line. Or we might have some members down that way that could help us?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users