Hello

9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Elgonte_*

Guest_Elgonte_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:56 AM

Hi everyone.

I just registered. I am interested in the fishes of Florida, specifically the everglades.
I look forward to talking about native fish.

#2 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:29 AM

Welcome to the forum Elgonte! I hope you find the discussion that you're looking for.

#3 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:42 AM

hi

#4 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:30 PM

what florida fish are you interested

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 11:22 PM

The Everglades, eh? And you want to talk about NATIVE fishes? #-o Too late, I'm afraid!

#6 Guest_Elgonte_*

Guest_Elgonte_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 02:25 PM

Yeah, unfortunately the everglades are in a sorry state. Not just exotics, but they're drying up. I think it's such an interesting eco-system that isn't found anywhere else in the world. I like learning about it and keeping the fish native to the area is one way of doing that.

#7 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 06:13 PM

I would love to do some sampling in the Everglades. I enjoyed the one Okefenokee trip I went on. We caught a lot of fish but not a lot of different fish. "Typical swamp ecosystem = high biomass, low diodiversity" was how the Bruce-ter put it.

Now, a weekend outing with canoes and camping gear would be just the thing.

#8 Guest_Elgonte_*

Guest_Elgonte_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

I can't say I've done any sampling, but from what I've read the everglades actually has quite a lot of diversity. There are a few different habitats within the greater everglades.

#9 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 11:05 AM

I have done a couple fishing/camping trip in the galdes. We would launch out of Chokoloskee and fish the river mouths, flats, and tidal creeks. We always stayed in the saltwater, but it would be a blast to check out the freshwater fishes of the area.

Attached Images

• 100_0039.jpg
  • 100_0046.jpg
  • 100_0044.jpg

#10 Guest_Elgonte_*

Guest_Elgonte_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

Those are some nice shots. I really like mangrove trees. I'd love to have a full size mangrove growing out the top of a 200 gallon tank with fish swimming around all through the roots.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users