Natives that eat Algae!

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_ShinersRock_*

Guest_ShinersRock_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

My small planted 10 gallon aquarium has started to develop algae in it. My fish love nibbling on it, but I was wondering if there was a native fish that thrived off algae and plant matter. I thnk one of the stonerollers eat a lot of it. Any suggestions? I'd rather a fish eat it then me having to scrape it off the side of the tank. Thanks.

#2 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:54 PM

Ah, an eternal question... especially if you like plants and have strong lights...

I suppose the answer depends on what kind of fish you plan to keep in there otherwise, and how aggressive they are. For example, sailfin mollies and florida flagfish eat lots of algae. I once put a few in a tank where string algae was a problem. While I still had to scrape the short stuff off the glass, they took care of all the longer stuff for me. Such sweet little sheep, mowing the lawn...

#3 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

Nativeplanter took the words right out of my mouth. I've kept sailfins and sheepshead minnows (brackish) in the same tank for a while now and couldn't grow a nice patch of algae if my life depended on it. I just recently received Florida flagfish. It seems algae doesn't stand a chance with them either. I hope this helps.

#4 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:37 PM

Agreed, I have kept both (American flagfish and Sailfin mollies) and they do a decent job of cleaning up algae. Central stonerollers might also work, the ones I had ate algae but they grow a bit large for a 10g. For your tank I would lean towards American flagfish, I don't know what your setup is like but they are a smaller species and sailfins grow to a decent size...at least when compaired to a 10g.

#5 Guest_nativecajun_*

Guest_nativecajun_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:04 PM

Would someone please tell me how to keep sailfin mollies alive. Hard water and salt, crushed coral substrate???? I would appreciate some detail. Thanks in advance. Daniel

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:13 PM

Cajun,
See my reply to your other post: http://forum.nanfa.o...owtopic=233&hl=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users