aggressive darters?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 05:20 PM

Which species of darters are considered aggressive?

#2 Guest_keepnatives_*

Guest_keepnatives_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:15 PM

Fantails for sure. Tesselated Males with their own kind seem more aggressive then most. Spotted darters sometimes.
Mike Lucas

#3 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:38 PM

Nothonotus and Catnotus species.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:12 PM

I've found my fantail darter, E. (C.) flabellare, and redline darter, E. (N.) rufilineatum to be territorial but not really aggressive in the same nature as other species. They just seem to pick a spot and make sure everyone else knows it is theirs.

#5 Guest_bflowers_*

Guest_bflowers_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

I have a male Bluebreast that has killed every darter I put in with him. He has been eyeing the minnows now. I will introduce him to a Sculpin next.

Bill F.

#6 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 06:39 PM

The fat lady is warming up her voice... :D

#7 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2006 - 11:47 AM

In a small 20 gallon long I had like 7 different species of darters and I found the most aggressive strangely enough to be large Greenside darters. I saw one pick up a fantail darter by the head and almost smash his head on a rock. The fantail was small so the greenside could almost fit its head in its mouth. Besides that, I've got an aggressive female Bluebreast Darter. She fights with the male Bluebreast, male Rainbows, Blackside Darters, you name it, she wants to throw down.

#8 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:34 PM

My fantail attacked and took out two slightly bigger mottled sculpins

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2007 - 01:49 PM

In a small 20 gallon long I had like 7 different species of darters and I found the most aggressive strangely enough to be large Greenside darters. I saw one pick up a fantail darter by the head and almost smash his head on a rock. The fantail was small so the greenside could almost fit its head in its mouth. Besides that, I've got an aggressive female Bluebreast Darter. She fights with the male Bluebreast, male Rainbows, Blackside Darters, you name it, she wants to throw down.

Yeah, in my limited experience with greensides they're not shy fish. Even big logperch are pretty laid back.

#10 Guest_mzokan_*

Guest_mzokan_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

I don't have much darter experience, but I had a large blackbanded darter that ate three flagfin shiners. I also have a small blackbanded that terrorized a blackspotted topminnow, but left all the other fish alone.

~Marcus

#11 Guest_bearskookums_*

Guest_bearskookums_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 12:42 AM

My fantail is small and doesn't do much...I have 2 greensides around 3inch+ and they are really shy and timid...and not aggressive enough to fight for food among the other darters. In my tank the most aggressive ones are the rainbow. I put in feeder guppies around 2inches(the darters are 2inches long) and they started to chomp on them like trying to eat them...but the guppies always escape cause the darters couldn't fit em in their tiny mouth.

#12 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

I don't have much darter experience, but I had a large blackbanded darter that ate three flagfin shiners. I also have a small blackbanded that terrorized a blackspotted topminnow, but left all the other fish alone.

~Marcus

I just caught this post. I just had 2 sailfin shiners disappear in my tank and the only large fish in there are a big blackside darter and a logperch. I've kept baby darters in there even from 1/2" and never had problems. Since that went ok I never thought twice about putting smaller shiners in. That may solve the magic trick.

#13 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2007 - 11:38 AM

I have also had blacksides and logperch eat small feeders like guppies or very small shiners.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users