algea eaters

7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_naturalart_*

Guest_naturalart_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

Hello, I am new to this forum. I was attracted here because I have been a long time tropical fish nut and have been slowly learning alittle about our native fish here in the states. While I am not quite ready to start a native fish tank of my own, I am stocking a small pond of about 3-400 gals in Washington state. I want to do it with native fish. I have set up the pond with a center 'island' in which a submersible pump is housed in a crate. This pump feeds a waterfall. I have set heavy flat stones on top of the crate with serious over hang. On top of these stones will be some potted bog/aquatic plants. I have @4 inch openings in the submersed crate into which water can flow to the pump and fish can swim in and out of. this last feature is for protection. I am sure the raccoons and herons will be paying a visit and maybe even a otter or two. I'll probably be going with some fast moving minnows and small alert centrarchid of some sort to stock the pond. But my other big concern is some sort of algea eater(s).

In tropical fish there are really cool Loricarids and Loaches. But I dont see an equivalent type of fish in north america? Do chubs eat algea? or is there another type of fish that can control algea in this situation? Being this is Washington the temps get down around 40ºF in winter and up in the 70's in the summer. the pond gets mostly midday sun. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

naturalart

#2 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hello and welcome, Naturalart!

No fish in North America are precisely equivalent to loricariids or the other popular tropical algae-eaters; that role is mainly filled by invertebrates here. Many minnows will pick at algae, but only a few stream species are dedicated grazers; these species are not suitable for ponds. Many species of snail and insect graze on algae, as do tadpoles. You can doubtless find snails at any local pond or lake that will thrive in your pond; the insects and tadpoles will likely come on their own. However, just as in aquaria, no animal is going to clean your pond for you; elbow grease is the best algicide there is.

Good luck!

#3 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 01:02 AM

Hi and Welcome!

I hear Washington is a better place to collect vs. Oregon, law wise. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Where in Washington are you? 400 gallons really isn't all that big. How deep will it be? I'm in Portland and this winter was unusual in that my pond froze at least six times, at least a foot each time. My fish can take once or twice, but that last hit pretty much wiped out everyone. You might ask around to see how deep ponds froze in your region this year. Of course, we're in the woods and it's ALWAYS colder here than anywhere else.

Can you get weather loaches in Washington? I thought they'd be fun to have in a pond, but they are a no-no here in Oregon precisely because they can survive.

I love plants, so my answer to everything is "stick a plant in it." Algae, oxygen nitrate levels, breeding... my no fail cure all medicine for what ails you.

Have you checked into those floating island? I've been practicing making them out of junk around the house. Actually easy, cheap, and fun, too.

#4 Guest_naturalart_*

Guest_naturalart_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 02:20 PM

Thanks all for the welcome and the info. I am right down at sea level. The water here freezes maybe a couple of times a winter and no more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch. in depth. That reminds me that I will be putting in plants so sounds like I may have to rely on the snails until the plants kick in. And Yes one can obtain weatherloaches here. In fact I have a large speciemen (9") I am looking to find a new home for.

A interesting note: I just found out that an otter as visited the pond and eaten alot of the tadpoles. But my island withstood the test.

#5 Guest_pes142_*

Guest_pes142_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2008 - 10:16 PM

Any chance for a picture of said otter? It must be cool to see those in your own backyard!

#6 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 07:59 AM

Any chance for a picture of said otter? It must be cool to see those in your own backyard!

:-D Read, "Ring of Bright Water." What a hoot! I forget who it's by, but it's about a Scottish man who travels the world and he's either in Africa or Iran (forget which travel) and someone trys to sell him some fresh meat, still alive and wiggling. It's in sad shape. He decides to buy it and see if he can't identify it and make it healthy. It turns out to be an otter and he brings it home with him to Scotland, and raises it (temporarily) in his house. Backyard, yes! Basement? NO!!!!!

#7 Guest_mander_*

Guest_mander_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2008 - 08:37 AM

Thanks all for the welcome and the info. I am right down at sea level. The water here freezes maybe a couple of times a winter and no more than 1/8 - 1/4 inch. in depth. That reminds me that I will be putting in plants so sounds like I may have to rely on the snails until the plants kick in. And Yes one can obtain weatherloaches here. In fact I have a large speciemen (9") I am looking to find a new home for.

A interesting note: I just found out that an otter as visited the pond and eaten alot of the tadpoles. But my island withstood the test.

Glad the island worked for you!

Are you a member of the Greater Seattle Aquarium Society? www.gsas.org. Off hand, I didn't see a forum or a place for trading, but you might see if someone there is interested in the weather loach. I had no idea they got that big!
Sounds like he's in your tank? not your pond? One would assume if an Otter was raiding a pond, he'd pick a 9 inch fish over a one inch tadpole, but hard to say.

There's also the Yakima Valley Aquarium Club. www.yvaquariumclub.bravehost.com Not my flavor of websites, ads flashing at you all the time so you can't read anything, but it does have a forum. Or, there's www.gpas.org if you're close to Portland.

My pond is too little, (a converted hot tub,) got to stick to the smaller fellows. :-(

#8 Guest_naturalart_*

Guest_naturalart_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 01:52 AM

Thanks, that was a big test for the design. I am a member of GSAS and haven't been able to get to a meeting in a while. Yakima is definitely a stretch for me. I dont have a pic of the otter, I saw the tracks afterwards. And according to some guides Misgurnus anguillicaudatus gets much larger than that, 18-20 inches! I personally have not seen one that large.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users