Carolina Sunfish

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 05:55 PM

I am interested in finding some Carolina sunfish, but I do not know if where they are available if they are protected or not? I would love to find someone who can collect them. Anyone have them around them?

#2 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:03 PM

I guess you're talking about Carolina pygmy sunfish, Elassoma boehlkei ?

It is a threatened species throughout its range.

#3 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:04 PM

I guess you're talking about Carolina pygmy sunfish, Elassoma boehlkei ?

It is a threatened species throughout its range.

darn, cause I was just reading in my American Aquarium Fishes book and I thought that its picture was far more attractive than any other pygmies.

thanks for the info!

#4 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:08 PM

We have them around us, but they have a very limited distribution like Drewish said. We have only found one strong population in SC, though there are some new ones popping up and there are certainly some unexplored rice fields where they should be as well. It is a very attractive fish and, in my experience, stays smaller than most other species.

#5 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:47 PM

darn, cause I was just reading in my American Aquarium Fishes book and I thought that its picture was far more attractive than any other pygmies.

thanks for the info!

sometimes photos can be deceiving. It may be my photo you saw in Goldstein's book. When the the sun reflects on the fish out of water or using a strobe it is beautiful as are okatie and okefenokee. But in an aquarium you really don't get to see the blue as well.

Fritz Rohde

#6 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 06:56 PM

so what species would you reccommend for color and personality? I like the zonatum, but my fiance likes the evergladei

#7 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:06 PM

Both the evergladii and okefenokee are nice and colorful. I don't see a personality difference. They are both reclusive.

The color really pops when photographing with a flash. A smashing electric blue that you don't otherwise see.

#8 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 07:53 PM

so what species would you reccommend for color and personality? I like the zonatum, but my fiance likes the evergladei

definitely zonatum. I have an evergladei and it just skulks around in my aquarium.

#9 Guest_uniseine_*

Guest_uniseine_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2008 - 09:49 PM

There are two locations, here at NANFA, for checking if a fish is protected.

1) On this forum
NANFA Forum > Native Fish Resources > State Regulations & Laws w/ Forms & Permits
http://forum.nanfa.o...php?showforum=1

2) On the main NANFA site
Information is gathered into one table.
http://www.nanfa.org...servation.shtml

#10 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 27 June 2008 - 08:29 AM

Both the evergladii and okefenokee are nice and colorful. I don't see a personality difference. They are both reclusive.

The color really pops when photographing with a flash. A smashing electric blue that you don't otherwise see.

I would respectfully disagree... I think the blue in the male okefenokee is very apparent (well as apparent as it can be in a fish that hides so much)... but seriously, my experience with okefenokee was a couple of males and 3 or 4 females in a 10 gallon tank stuffed with plants... the males turned jet black with electric blue on a regular basis and I got to see them at least at feeding time, as they learned to see me coming and attacked their frozen brine shrimp with gusto...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#11 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 June 2008 - 09:18 AM

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that one can not see the electric blue at other times. Not at all - they are quite colorful indeed. I have just found that the blue pops incredibly when the camera flash is used. I used to have a photo, I'll see if I can find it.

#12 Guest_josh_*

Guest_josh_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 December 2008 - 11:46 PM

so what does the carolina pygmy look like??

#13 Guest_fritz_*

Guest_fritz_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2008 - 02:11 PM

so what does the carolina pygmy look like??

here are a couple of photos ( I think I did it correctly)

Fritz

Attached Files

#14 Guest_fishyz_*

Guest_fishyz_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

I would respectfully disagree... I think the blue in the male okefenokee is very apparent (well as apparent as it can be in a fish that hides so much)... but seriously, my experience with okefenokee was a couple of males and 3 or 4 females in a 10 gallon tank stuffed with plants... the males turned jet black with electric blue on a regular basis and I got to see them at least at feeding time, as they learned to see me coming and attacked their frozen brine shrimp with gusto...

I have seen the same.

#15 Guest_Elassoman_*

Guest_Elassoman_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2009 - 09:59 AM

NVcichlids,

Give any pygmy sunfish a quiet, heavily planted species tank, and you and your wife will be very happy. I would suggest working with E. evergladei first, because they will color up nicely, and they are a little more hardy than E. okefenokee. Also, you can find them in the Carolina's which sounds like the area you'll be collecting. In the right environment, any of these species will become bold, and eventually the males may perform the courtship dance to get your attention. Read some of the other posts regarding stocking density, especially if you chose to keep E. zonatum.

P.S. I personally enjoy species that use the vegetation as a refuge. That means they are behaving naturally. Also, everytime you sit down at the aquarium, it is just like going on a mini collecting trip.

Edited by Elassoman, 06 February 2009 - 10:03 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users