got my grass pickerel from zimmermans captives, here's photo's

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:03 PM

Well, i have to say im very impressed, fast shipping, great communications, and i even got a extra fish, These are Very tiny, about 1.5-2" tops, but they should be happy in their tank as long as their tank makes dont eat them.

three of them i can find easily, the fourth i have no idea where it is, im hoping in the plant roots somewhere.

their tankmates are about 5 dozen gambusia, you wouldnt think gambusia would eat other fish, but i put 6, 1/2-3/4" largemouth bass in the tank and the large gambusia ate them......

the pikerel are all over the tank already, hiding in the plants mostly, its a 90 gallon tank at 70 degree's

matthew

Attached Images

• pike3.jpg
  • pike2.jpg
  • pike1.jpg
  • pike4.jpg

#2 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:28 PM

What is that white stuff on their tails?

#3 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 July 2008 - 10:35 PM

not sure what your talking about, i just looked the photo's over and dont really see anything white on their tails, looked at the fish again and nothing is white.

they are alittle skinny, well they were, they are already eating i guess, i put several hundred mosquito larve in the tank and they got a couple of those, and one is really fat now so im guessing he got a gambusia.

matthew

#4 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 08:22 AM

I think Irate is messing with you.

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 July 2008 - 11:48 PM

Hey, if you look real hard, it could be!

#6 Guest_itsme_*

Guest_itsme_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2008 - 09:23 AM

Friendly word of advice: Be very cautious about having Gambusia in a tank with any other fish. They are notorious fin nippers and quite aggressive. I'd hate to see Irate's comment about white tails come true for your beautiful new fish!

#7 Guest_rockbassbud5_*

Guest_rockbassbud5_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2008 - 05:39 PM

Friendly word of advice: Be very cautious about having Gambusia in a tank with any other fish. They are notorious fin nippers and quite aggressive. I'd hate to see Irate's comment about white tails come true for your beautiful new fish!

This is a very good point. You will soon hate the gambusia!!!! They are pigs, and are quite aggresive. Its not worth having your pickerels beat up! The olny thing gambusia are good for is food!!! By the way nice tank and I'm sure those pickerel love all of that plant cover.

#8 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

Well..... I havent been here long but im already finding out that irate mormon is my kinda guy, always messing with someone and usually in a way that causes no harm but makes you think or as in this case get the big spy glass out to examine all you fish

#9 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2008 - 11:02 PM

Thanks jimv - I feel a prediction coming on about these pickerel... :twisted: And youse guys KNOW about my predictions...

#10 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 10:53 AM

i went to the creek today to collect some native creek chubs, got a bunch of small ones about 3/8ths to a half inch, and used them in the pickerel tank for feeders, those pickerel sure are quick at catching them, ive mainly been feeding them mosquito larvae over the last couple weeks, but today they really got some good "fish" meal.

there are still about a dozen chubs left in the tank.

they are such awsome fish to watch hunt and eat.

matthew

#11 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 01:11 PM

Another friendly word of advice: Be careful what you add into your aquarium. The chubs you're feeding to your Grass Pickerel could likely be infested with parasites. I'm not sure I understand your situation but, why not set up a separate aquarium for the Gambusia? You'd be able to keep a steady supply of live food for your Pickerel without worrying about petstore feeders or collecting minnows.

#12 Guest_macantley_*

Guest_macantley_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

i went to the creek today to collect some native creek chubs, got a bunch of small ones about 3/8ths to a half inch, and used them in the pickerel tank for feeders, those pickerel sure are quick at catching them, ive mainly been feeding them mosquito larvae over the last couple weeks, but today they really got some good "fish" meal.

there are still about a dozen chubs left in the tank.

they are such awsome fish to watch hunt and eat.

matthew

Well, ive had the gambusia for over a month and none of them have had ANY baby's they are very gravid, i think i need to setup a 10 gallon with alot of plants, and stick a single gravid female in let them have the baby's then scoop out the mother and put another one in.....

im notreally sure what to do yet.

the creek i collect from has been providing me feeders for 6 months and ive yet to have a SINGLE fish die that have fed on the feeders, i collect them about 3-4 miles up stream from kanawha river.

matthew

#13 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 09:50 AM

I would reccomend setting up an aquarium with ONE pair of Gambusia and a sponge filter. Fill the tank with aquatic and floating plants. Infected fish will not suddenly parish but rather show symptoms like scratching, fungus, breaching etc...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users