Posted 08 July 2008 - 09:27 PM

Anybody keep warpaint shiners?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 08 July 2008 - 10:36 PM

Anybody keep warpaint shiners?

I don't, but seem to remember that Steven Ellis used to... they are a big boisterous shiner, that seem to take a fair amount of food and a fair amount of space...
Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:13 AM

I have found that these are fairly difficult to keep. They require cooler temps and, like Michael said, they get large.

#4 Guest_arnoldi_*

Guest_arnoldi_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:45 AM

I've had some for a few years. Once they get acclimated to the tank they do really well and are good community fish (provided that the other fish in the tank don't easily fit into their mouths)
I have them in a 75 gallon with rainbow shiners, rosefin shiners, and mountain redbellies and they all get along fine.

#5 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 11:15 AM

I had a couple in a 55-gal with some other shiners and one longear sunfish. Got along just fine, but there was lots of structure in the tank.

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:21 PM

I had very minimal success with warpaints collected throughout the year and at different sizes. Water got too hot, didn't get enough to eat, or just would flop over and die. I'd say 6 months was the best I could do with a 55 gallon well established tanks with lots of flow, lots of structure, lots of food, and sitting over the central air vent. Pretty fish, just takes alot of effort, and there are other minnows that are hardier fish.

#7 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:22 PM

I had some until a Florida gar I had ate them a few years ago.

You catch them on small hooks and pieces of worm or salmon eggs in my area and they are pretty fish.

That is why I asked.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users