another shiner ID please

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:18 PM

same area, slackwater Potomac River.
was blue/purple/silver in color, but lost its color when captured... has a dark spot on its dorsal fin....

Attached Files

#2 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 06:42 PM

Cyprinella sp. Though not familar with the area it would be hard for me to narrow it down to a exact species, but I will take a random stab in the dark, mabey C. spiloptera.

Edited by blakemarkwell, 09 July 2008 - 06:48 PM.

#3 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Spotfin or steelcolor. The anal rays will need to be counted.

#4 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

I would agree that it is a Cyprinella sp., how far north do Satinfin Shiners come on the East coast? It looks like a spotfin to me but at last years convention so did all the satinfin shiners.

#5 Guest_Kanus_*

Guest_Kanus_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2008 - 09:47 PM

It does not look like a satinfin to me, but that is the only Cyprinella I have any experience with, so I can't help you beyond that,

#6 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 July 2008 - 06:15 PM

Spotfin and satinfin are sympatric in the Potomac River. In fact, I have two jars with about 20 each from the last two days to go through.

Rather than saying, same area, slackwater potomac, keep posting in your original thread since you are collecting from the same area and wanting ID's, and tell people where you were. Dam 4 or 5 right? That will help alot of people give you better information since not everyone, unlike myself, was shocking fish on the Potomac this week, has collected, or is familiar with the fish in that area. I would call it a spotfin shiner but without having it in my hand or a jar...

#7 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:04 PM

Spotfin and satinfin are sympatric in the Potomac River. In fact, I have two jars with about 20 each from the last two days to go through.

Rather than saying, same area, slackwater potomac, keep posting in your original thread since you are collecting from the same area and wanting ID's, and tell people where you were. Dam 4 or 5 right? That will help alot of people give you better information since not everyone, unlike myself, was shocking fish on the Potomac this week, has collected, or is familiar with the fish in that area. I would call it a spotfin shiner but without having it in my hand or a jar...

another sunfish from the area... what is this? and legal to keep?
Posted Image

Edited by DooSPX, 11 July 2008 - 03:16 PM.

#8 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:16 PM

I'm not sure off the top of my head about the legal means for catching sunfish. The Maryland regs are online or you can always call Dianne Samuels. Her favorite answer is "go to the website..." and if it doesn't deal with rec or commercial fishing you might not get a well informed answer.

#9 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:46 PM

I'm not sure off the top of my head about the legal means for catching sunfish. The Maryland regs are online or you can always call Dianne Samuels. Her favorite answer is "go to the website..." and if it doesn't deal with rec or commercial fishing you might not get a well informed answer.

thank you! I appreciate you helping me with all my petty questions
I will look on the site.
have any idea what the fish is?

#10 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

It looks like a young Longear sunfish.

#11 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:30 AM

Sorry the picture wasn't up when I replied but I'd wanna go with redbreast but longear is possible. Longear are not native to MD but they are found in the C&O canal which parallels the Potomac; however, it is dewatered in many places. Also, Longear have been collected in the Potomac in the Dam No. 5 area.

#12 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 08:00 PM

I second the vote for longear; they're more widespread in the Potomac than what Matt suggested -- they are moderately abundant in the mainstem in Washington County, and I've taken them as far upstream as the low head dam at Cumberland, MD.

IF you can get side-view photos of the fish in a zip-loc or small tank, the IDs will be a little easier; it makes it much easier to see markings on the fins, and often details of the opercular flap (the "ear tab") show up easier when the fish is in the water, also...

#13 Guest_pmk00001_*

Guest_pmk00001_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

I'm thinking its a longear, I agree with Dave, more common in the mainstem of the Potomac then one might suspect, I've caught them as far South as DC once or twice.

The shiner looks like a spotfin to me.

#14 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:00 AM

I wasn't really saying they weren't present in the Potomac or common, I was just pointing out they weren't native and how they've made it into the Potomac. Frankly I don't know their distribution well, I've got two days of sampling in the Potomac under my belt. My general understanding was they had a fairly widespread but spotty distribution, mostly adjacent to functional, watered areas of the canal that also recieve angling pressure.

Speaking of...Dave what's your take on rainbow darters in the Potomac? Was this all the result of headwater piracy or multiple mechanisms? The lower Monocacy has a freakishly high abundance.

#15 Guest_daveneely_*

Guest_daveneely_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Dave what's your take on rainbow darters in the Potomac? Was this all the result of headwater piracy or multiple mechanisms? The lower Monocacy has a freakishly high abundance.

Same as E. blennioides -- introduced and expanding, and moving fast, possibly facilitated by 1985 flood event. Upstream limit is low head-dam at Cumberland, downstream just outside D.C., and moving upstream in tributaries - would particularly like to see recent data, as I haven't done much sampling in MD in several years. I think the Esmond & Stauffer paper (1983?) that suggested that they were native based on meristics picked up on the effects of founder effect.

Dave

#16 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2008 - 07:55 PM

another sunfish picture....
ID please...

Attached Files

#17 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:10 PM

anyone?

#18 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

Part of the drill is knowing where it's from (except for green sunfish, which this one isn't).

#19 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 06:38 PM

Looks like a longear....We got some today downstream of Dam 4. I'll be downstream of 5 tomorrow and let you know if we get any.

#20 Guest_DooSPX_*

Guest_DooSPX_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2008 - 08:08 PM

Looks like a longear....We got some today downstream of Dam 4. I'll be downstream of 5 tomorrow and let you know if we get any.

thank you so much!!
Matt, if you get above Dam 5, please let me know!! I can be at the dam in a few minutes on the river. we are right at the big U in the river.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users