blue heads

11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

I have just captured a 4" bluhead femalr in breeding colors I know basics on blueheads but if anyone has had them in fishtanks please share any info you have

#2 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, how did you know the bluehead female was in breeding color? I have seen many female blueheads in with breeding colored males and never noticed a significant change in coloration. THey shouldn't be in color right now, but may be confused by the warmer weather.

The care for these is pretty similar to any other minnows. They will immediately take flake food and are active feeders. These fish will jump though so a very secure top is good. The downside to this fish is that it eventually gets pretty big, up to 10 or so inches.

#3 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:37 PM

this fish had no tupercuses(bad spelling)
and this fish was froma small stream so it was stunded and will not get any bigger.
thanks,
Robert

#4 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:41 PM

bluehead chubs?

#5 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 04:48 PM

"carolina chub"

#6 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:19 PM

Nocomis ?

#7 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

nocomis leptocephalus

#8 Guest_dsmith73_*

Guest_dsmith73_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:39 PM

Where did you get "Carolina chub" from? Males that are in non-breeding dress do not have tubercles either. Juvenile males also don't develop the tubercles and a 4" fish would still be a juvie in my opinion. I also don't buy the small stream/stunted growth argument. If there is adequate food in the stream, the fish will easily reach adult size.

#9 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 06:00 PM

not alot of food and that was the largest I had found in the stream and there were mounds

#10 Guest_ipchay61_*

Guest_ipchay61_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 06:38 AM

Dustin and I have caught bluehead chub in the 8" - 9" size range from streams that are less than 3 ft across and water under a foot deep. I don't agree with the "stunted growth" statement. Neither have I seen a "female in breeding colors", generally it's only the males that have a noticeable color change. Larger ones are harder to catch. They didn't get that large by being stupid or easy to be caught. Also, just because you don't see any food doesn't mean there isn't. I doubt they would be there if there weren't food available.

Chip

#11 Guest_killier_*

Guest_killier_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:34 AM

well the stream is 2feet wide and 3-4 inches deep and I have captured reaaly big blueheads in the stream that this stream runs into there are also pebble mounds and much larger and the same coloring and I've been catching bluehead with tuprcules(bad spelling)

#12 Guest_tricolor_*

Guest_tricolor_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:30 AM

Dunno about NA cyprinids in general but Asian Danios, Devarios, Barilius and some Cypriniella color and tubercles don't always go hand in hand. Some males can get colorful and spawn even without full tuberculation, or some males with full tuberculation can lose color. I do think that fully tuberculated and fully color stud is the more successful territory holder and breeder though. The question would be that can young male chub [not fully grown and not having full tubercles] make nest and spawn or not?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users