18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_DooSPX_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:21 PM

What is the best bait for a minnow trap

#2 Guest_Newt_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:30 PM

Crumbled bread or styrofoam will work, if you're after minnows. Honestly you don't really need bait in most situations; you'll get plenty of fish (and tadpoles, and insects, and crustaceans, and sometimes snakes) just wandering in.

#3 Guest_dafrimpster_*

• Guests

Posted 11 July 2008 - 03:34 PM

I have tried several things. Shrimp,hotdogs, bacon, etc. Nothing worked any better for me than bread and/or lil chunjs of white styro foam

#4 Guest_jblaylock_*

• Guests

Posted 12 July 2008 - 11:10 PM

I've seen success with many things. Usually I take a piece of bread, tear some off, and roll it into a tight ball. I've had success with hotdogs and other lunch meats. My sister's house is right next to a creek, when they cook out, they throw scraps into the creek and the chubs go crazy on almost anything; corn cobs, watermelon hull, etc...

#5 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:38 PM

i dont use bait anymore because i get the same amount of fish either way.

#6 Guest_bart_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 09:08 PM

Use whole raw shrimp if you want sunfish. I got green, pumpkinseed and bluegill all in the same trap last time I used it.

#7 Guest_sandtiger_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

I always got good results from dry dog or cat food.

#8 Guest_travishaas_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:11 PM

Some people recommend using turkey and chicken necks. I think I've heard of people using bar soap, but I've never tried it and don't really see why it would be a good idea.

#9 Guest_ashtonmj_*

• Guests

Posted 15 November 2008 - 10:55 PM

I've seen frozen tator tots fill up a trap full of creek chubs, dace, and minnows in under 30 minutes. Chicken necks would also probably attract alot of crayfish, but they are dirt cheap and last a long time.

#10 Guest_Radioguy_*

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:51 AM

I can add my support for the use of dog food..... the dry biscuit type. Just 3 or 4 biscuits in the cage works well.

#11 Guest_truf_*

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

I always got good results from dry dog or cat food.

Some kind of dog jerky? :tongue:

I rarely even use a trap anymore. It's just not interactive enough, because I love the thrill of the hunt! When I do use a trap I've tried all of the following for bait (plus some): a sardine can with holes punched in it, dry fish food in a nylon bag, dog treats, beef liver, and different kinds of bread. Bread appears to beat out all the others. Also, it seems fish prefer expensive multi-grain bread above plain white bread, or bagels, or flour tortillas. I'll have to try some of the other suggestions listed here.
Just my three cents.

Edited by truf, 16 November 2008 - 12:21 PM.

#12 Guest_sandtiger_*

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:50 PM

I seldom use my trap either but when collecting it never hurts to toss it in, sometimes its the only way I ever catch anything. I never get much species diversity though.

#13 Guest_camber1981_*

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 04:51 PM

I noticed no one mentioned cheese.... [-X Awesome stuff.... I've used it as bait for sunfish, catfish, minnows, crayfish..... oh, and those stupid carp, too. It seems just about anything will eat a ball of Velveeta. You could also try making cookie dough without sugar, I've heard of people using that before. Same principal as bread, but it lasts longer.

#14 Guest_fundulus_*

• Guests

Posted 16 November 2008 - 06:03 PM

Another minnow trap fave is a small can of cat food, just slightly opened or punctured. It's especially killer for attracting eels if you're in a coastal creek.

#15 Guest_adirondackpond_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:19 PM

I've had the best luck in my pond using Beef liver.

#16 Guest_nativeplanter_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 01:41 PM

I've had the best luck in my pond using Beef liver.

Raw or cooked?

#17 Guest_Ouassous_*

• Guests

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:46 PM

In Puerto Rico, I baited traps with both dry catfood and punctured tins of moist catfood to catch long-armed prawns (Macrobrachium spp.), filter-feeding Atyid shrimp (Atya spp. and Micratya sp.), and carrot-nose shrimp (Xiphocaris elongata). Incidental catch included Puerto Rican river crabs (Epilobocera sinuatifrons), American eels (Anguilla rostrata), and big-mouthed sleepers (Gobiomorus dormitor). Crushed snails and fruit were pretty ineffective (banana chunks landed me only a single slider turtle), but I apparently would have had better luck had I singed my coconut strips instead of using them raw.

In San Marcos, Texas, soft plugs of store-bought catfish bait (chicken blood & crayfish or shrimp scent) gave me satisfactory results with crayfish, cichlids, and sunfish ... but nothing phenomenal.

Edited by Ouassous, 17 December 2008 - 05:51 PM.

#18 Guest_farmertodd_*

• Guests

Posted 18 December 2008 - 03:30 PM

The best bait I've ever used is salami. I don't know why or what it is that attracts them, but they just come running. Sunfish, minnows, darters, everyone.

#19 Guest_CatfishHunter_*

• Guests

Posted 03 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

I use bread for minnows, hot-dogs or chicken nuggets for the crayfish. Both really seem to like Combo's, i throw some crushed and some whole in the trap. It is super easy and not time consuming. I usually get 20+ minnows per (and sometimes as little as an hr's time) I usually return the small and or ugly ones and keep 5 per person (3-4inch chubs are great). If you are threading the minnows you will use a lot less since they slide up the line a lot when you catch a fish and after they've been chewed on the head works great to catch nice bass and cats.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users