Suggestions for good snorkeling streams in NE Alabama

55 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 04:30 PM

I'm going to be in Alabama visiting some relatives this weekend and thought I'd do some snorkeling on the way back Monday. I'd like to find some Alabama map turtles to photograph, so I need to be in the Coosa drainage. Anyone know any good sites? I was looking at Big Wills Creek and the West Fork Little River in DeKalb County; are those clear rocky streams? Are there good access points available?

Any advice is appreciated!

#2 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:09 PM

Big (or Little?) Willis Creek would be a good snorkel site, especially in the town of Collinsville. It's a famous rainbow shiner site, and also has southern studfish, among other species. There's a site near the town's police station which is good, and another one further downstream where you can park in a Baptist church lot (I think Casper's almost pals with them).

#3 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 06:43 PM

Awesome, thanks! If I'm reading my gazetteer correctly, Collinsville is on Little Wills Creek. How big a stream is it?

#4 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 07:24 PM

In "downtown" Collinsville, it's a smallish creek about 5 meters wide. This site might be marked on a map just downstream from the RR tracks, near the western face of Lookout Mountain. Going downstream to the west it becomes bigger and deeper, maybe 10 m wide with some pools, enough so that you see local kids fishing in it.

#5 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 08:18 PM

When i first saw Nathan's post i didnt think of that site. Glad you spoke up Bruce.
Nathan you need to say... where in Alabama, what town or city, you will be near. That would help a bit, but then you do say Coosa and that does help and i should have remembered.
As for Collinsville, yes it is now a well known spot. Yes there are snorkel sites but they are very urban. One is right behind a beauty shop and the other under a bridge leading to a baptist church. I wrote a long posti about it years ago. Rainbow shiners being the bliss. Mountain shiners too, in fact a good variety, all and all. Coosa darters.
If you get into "downtown", heh heh, Collinsville, its easy to find them. You can work your way further downstream but once it mixes with the other stream it greens. A hospital is nearby. This was the site i first witnessed a spawning mass of Rainbows.
I have been very depressed here tho. Pure examples of urbanized degraded streams. Buildings pushed right up to the edge, backfill and channelized. :(
Another location is in Ft. Payne in the K-mart parking lot. Might be a Sears now. Right off the freeway. i-59?
This was a kinda fun site but someone cut all the canopy cover over this pretty ditch run. Blacktail Shiners ( venusta ), spawning rainbows, pit digging stonies... spring time. It was fun snorkeling here and then poking your head above the edge and seeing K-Mart shoppers pushing carts.
Really, if you study a bama gazeer that region is full of clear springs, lush palnt growth and lots of Rainbow shiners, prime habitat... when its not heavily altered.
Dont know about no danged turtles.
Go on sunday and the church folk will feed you bbq.

#6 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:13 PM

Where are you starting out at Nathan?

Little Willis is tiny in Collinsville, and I don't know that I would stick my head in it through Collinsville with coliforms in mind. If you haven't seen a rainbow shiner, bring a net. You'll have much greater abundances of all species in this little stream. I never found a good access on Big Willis, but I have plans some day to hit the road crossing from Gadsden upstream. Let me know if you do :)

DEFINATELY go for a snorkel in the Little River, maybe these guys can give you better site accesses... We enjoyed seining a site off of SR 273 where it lays out from the gorge, north of Leesburg (follow the NP signs). It's more fertile down there, and the grades aren't as brutal. We caught most representative fishes, but abundances are low in this unfertile (actually normal) stream.

There are magical streams near Talledega. Upper Hatchet Creek and Talladega Creek are HIGH on my priority list of places to get back to snorkel. I'm sad that I have to go to a conference instead of to Talladega in early August to bear witness to the marriage of some great friends and get some cool snorkels in. Also need to drag the Snorkelmeister down there. It's only a hop and a skip to get back on I65 from 280 or 20.

The formation, grade and relatively stable forestry leaves fissured bedrock in small streams that are like nothing I've witnessed anywhere else. Oh and there's mica galore, so it looks like you're in a snow globe. If you want to head down there, I'll get you some sites. You'll also want to track down some maps, the gazzer ain't got it right. Some of the coolest accesses we found, we have no idea where they are because it wasn't kosher with the map lol.

If you go further south of of the National Forest on either stream, again, do not put your head in the water. I was warned by many people from all walks about coliform issues in larger portions of Hatchet and Swamp Creeks.

Hillabee Creek down by Alexander City is a real tempter too! ;)

Northeast Alabama changed the way I think about the world. Blew my damned Yankee mind wide open. Man, I love that area. Like I said, the folding and resilient layers of rock have just made that whole upper eastern side one magical place.

Todd

#7 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2008 - 10:32 PM

Todd's right, the Little River in the National Park-ish area in Cherokee County is beautifully clear water that allows floating face-down style snorkeling. But don't seine or net there, the rangers will quickly tell you to cut it out. And Hillabee Creek in Tallapoosa County isn't really NE Alabama but well worth visiting if you're up for the trip, about 6 miles east of Alexander City on State Route 22. Beware, this is the infamous site of dog executions under the bridge. But the water is clean and clear (certainly upstream of the bridge).

#8 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 01:33 AM

Thanks, guys! I didn't have a particular place in mind; I'm visiting my kin in Huntsville and just wanted to swing on out through the Coosa drainage on the way to Chattanooga before heading home. I'm trying to stay relatively close to the direct route between those cities in order to save gas.

Like I said, Alabama map turtles are my primary quarry, so I'm mainly looking for relatively large streams. Little Wills sounds a bit too small. Are any of you familiar with Big Wills Creek? Little River sounds like a winner for sure.

#9 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 08:52 AM

Yeap, I see your route now :)

I would look for accesses on Big Willis and hit the Little River. That's a full day and one that'll be filled with all sorts of good stuff. Expect Big Willis to be somewhat turbid, it's productive ag land through that valley, and the springs can't seem to compensate for it if there's been some water going through.

Is it still drought down there? I've got some water you can have. It's all muddy, but it's water ;)

Todd

#10 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:15 AM

We've checked Big Wills Creek where it's crossed by Highway 68, and it's a turbid, muddy creek there with dubious access in terms of muddy banks. It may be better further upstream, but I don't know anyone who's ever looked. Not so far to the east of there is the Little River crossed by Highway 273. Upstream of the road it's accessible and clean, below that highway it becomes part of Weiss Lake, the damning of the Coosa. The federal property just upstream from there is Little River Canyon National Preserve which is amazing, but also a look-only area. From there you'd probably have to go further to the south in the Talladega National Forest to find accessible, decent habitat.

#11 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 09:26 AM

Nathan, generally, i second all that.

Little River park is pretty primo. Many have had awesome views there. Limited access now so you gotta do the park proper, but trails run a long way alongside upstream.
Collinsville, Little Willis is still worth a sneak, but where Big Willis joins is where it goes green. Btw, ive snorkeled some probably well over coliformed sites and never gotten sick. I dont drink the water. :)Sometimes all that "fertilizer" actually increases fuana life me thinks. Silt is the killer, smothers everything. That and channeling, ditching, culvertizing the potential flood plains.
I would maximize my time at the Little River, being you only have one day. Should be plenty of turtle activity too. Get me one on those sawbacks.

I'm likely headed to Big South Fork monday and tuesday for some camping and snorkeling, but you can ring me when your coming thru Chattanooga. Actually you will probably run up 59 and grab 24 to Nash, about 10 miles west of Chatt.

Todd, when you get back i wanna do the things you speak of. Always so many places to see and experience!

Bruce, you should get him to take a dip in New Market. Thats a fine snorkel but it is TN drainage. Flame Chub possibilities. Last time i was there extensive plowing was going on upstream and the beautiful spring fed creek lush with vegetation was a muddy raging mess. How does it look of late?
That is one of the sites i took a split of nanfa fishheads back in the 03 gathering. A few of those silting sessions would ruin it for sure. Man that was a pretty site.

Chattanooga is 8" behind, we need rain but it is not as bad as last year. Things are green and growing well though creeks are low.

#12 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:26 AM

Thanks, all! Very helpful info. I think I will concentrate on Little River and its forks, and also check out upper Big Wills Creek. I'll put up any decent photos I manage to take.

#13 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 11:49 AM

Todd, when you get back i wanna do the things you speak of. Always so many places to see and experience!

Consider it a deal, my friend! :) Now that I don't have any home aquaria considerations, it ain't nothing to throw my snorkel crap into a bag, jump on a plane and come see y'all! The liquid sunshine is all I've filmed this year so far, and that really bugs me.

Todd

#14 Guest_Casper Cox_*

Guest_Casper Cox_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

Thats cool Todd, i look forward to spending time with you again. I always have a good time with you around.
I wish you were considering Texas more. I really think it is going to be a unique and a well remembered experience.
I have something special in the works for August if your available, but is that not when your honeymoon trip occurs?

Nathan, give us a full report when you get back! The Little River will please you well if the needed rains dont stir it up too much.

#15 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:36 PM

Yeap got the honeymoon starting this Sunday, back for 5 days and then off to a conference. I need to get a paper out and the rest of my proposal written, and that's my motivation to get done so I can start doing some fun stuff once it cools off in Sept - Nov.

SFC is already on the fall list of activities, so I'll be down for that at least. I dunno about the Convention. If I can get my stuff looking like it's going to be done, you may be able to talk me into it. It's a totally different ballgame without figuring out how to get a cooler home.

Todd

#16 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 04:55 PM

Have fun on your honeymoon, Todd!

This just occurred to me: Do the tackle shops and gas stations that sell fishing licenses also provide more specialized permits, like the 7-day non-resident license? I've never had to get one of those before.

#17 Guest_schambers_*

Guest_schambers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:16 PM

Check the website for the state you want the license for. I recently wanted a one-day license for Indiana. Their website didn't sell them, but a local Wal-Mart did. I looked for a local bait & tackle store, but no luck. I'm sure there was one there, I just couldn't find any on the internet.

#18 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

I can get it online, but there's a surcharge, so I'd rather get it while I'm in Bammy if possible. The website said nothing about whether the non-resident licenses were available at stores.

I'm not cheap, I'm poor!

#19 Guest_farmertodd_*

Guest_farmertodd_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 06:35 PM

Thanks Nathan :)

Yeah, Wally World is probably your best bet.

Man alive, when did they bump the 7 day to $26!?!? (sorry I thought you were being cheap lol It used to be $11)

I think we're going to see some real changes in policy to "Share the Wonder" in Alabama. I already caught wind that the Coosa and Sipsey were closed to collection permits for Education and you better have a dang good reason to take animals for study. It always blew my mind that rangers could discourage you from seining on the Little River, but I think this is something comin' down the pipe. While it makes me a little sad that it marks the end of one activity I enjoyed, it makes me excited to see them take the resources seriously. Good thing I like to snorkel just as much ;)

Todd

#20 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2008 - 07:26 PM

Local bait shops also sell licenses in Alabama if you'd rather avoid WalMart. In Huntsville, Junior's on Governors Drive is where I usually buy mine. It's an extra-funky old-style shop like you just wouldn't see in most places.

The Coosa is closed for collection? I'm not even sure where you'd go to collect in the Coosa since most of it's impounded, and I usually avoid water more than about 5 feet deep anyway. The Sipsey in the Wilderness area is closed to most collecting, but below the Wilderness I hadn't heard of any restrictions. There's not a big stretch of the river before you hit "Lake Smith" anyway, the local redneck riviera.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users