Paddle fish for sale on aquabid

98 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:59 AM

I was just browzing through aquabid and noticed that someone is selling paddle fish. I thought they were a protected species and couldn't be kept if caught??

Just thought if someone wanted one for a monsterous tank, I would post the link lol...

http://www.aquabid.c...c...

nv

#2 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:22 AM

Yikes! This paddlefish will get death sentence if someone buy it and keep it in the "average" tank. I don't understand why they want to sell this fish that one day will get much bigger than red tailed catfish and need more room for swimming especially with long snout. And they produce huge wastes (all big fish do). And where will they find a tank that will take a space thats same size to the whole story of house to house a single paddlefish when its full grown?

And I was wondering too if they caught this young paddlefish legal or obtain from the hatchery but then they have to obtain it from the private hatchery...I hope. Ill ask them if they caught it from the rivers.

#3 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 11:58 AM

I love how they fail to mention that it will get to be 5 feet long. If you can keep it alive that long (seeing as they are filter feeders). :mad2:

#4 Guest_NVCichlids_*

Guest_NVCichlids_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 12:05 PM

I thought maybe MAYBE nate tessler (sorry if I spelt your name wrong nate) might want one for his 19000 gallon tank??

#5 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 04:09 PM

Didn't the paddlefish need current or lots of space since they are unstoppable swimmers (have you guys seen hovering ones or one that's stopped swimming around?) no I don't think so. The paddlefish are much worse "aquarium" fish than redtailed catfish IMO. They can reach more than 100+ pounds in the wild.

IMO the paddlefish need way bigger tanks than alligator gars and piracu (biggest south american fish).

#6 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:13 PM

These fish are not taken from the wild.. they are hatchery raised.

As a general note: There is actually very little out there about the captive husbandry of these fish. Should someone wish to try them and put the effort into housing them, what is wrong with that?

#7 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 06:53 PM

Well I think the paddlefish are better off in public aquarium only and not in home aquarium as almost no one can afford everything to house the paddlefish.

Since paddlefish are almost river type fish mean they like to have some current and are filter feeder. What you feed the paddlefish once full grown (if it made to their adult size)? And have huge powerhead and filter are must if want to properly house paddlefish. There's too much things to put efforts on paddlefish. I think paddlefish are schooling fishes (please correct me if im wrong).

I can't image myself to give up half house for the tank to contain a group of paddlefish or even single adult paddlefish.

#8 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 08:27 PM

Well I think the paddlefish are better off in public aquarium only and not in home aquarium as almost no one can afford everything to house the paddlefish.

Since paddlefish are almost river type fish mean they like to have some current and are filter feeder. What you feed the paddlefish once full grown (if it made to their adult size)? And have huge powerhead and filter are must if want to properly house paddlefish. There's too much things to put efforts on paddlefish. I think paddlefish are schooling fishes (please correct me if im wrong).

I can't image myself to give up half house for the tank to contain a group of paddlefish or even single adult paddlefish.

Your opinion is fine but the fact that just because you can not keep them does not mean they are "public aquaria only fish". There are those out there that could keep them just fine and maybe add a good deal of knowledge to how to do so while at it. Your opinions and how you are formulating them is based on Wild fish standards (and your idea of what that may be and how it applies) and not on actual Captive conditions, experience, research or requirements. (Something which is little known or known of)

Sorry but as someone that does keep regularly fish such as Gars, lampreys, Sturgeon and other little known and "difficult" species. I personally find this view that wild equals captive very erroneous. I also find that not trying (or being prevented from doing so) is not productive to anything. It is fine if you do not wish to keep the fish but do not think your fully in the right to deny others the ability to do so or suggest it as such when the animal is fully legal..

That said... yes there are some that should not even think about these fish. Anyone that actually would need to ask a question about husbandry (As known) would be one. You do have to take some responsibility in what you purchase or keep in your possession. If you wish to keep an animal you should do so with the best that you can offer (in a perfect world). One should not take on things they do not truly wish to carry out fully. This is called personal responsibility....Something that unfortunately is lacking in todays culture.

#9 Guest_fundulus_*

Guest_fundulus_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 09:18 PM

There's probably more known about keeping paddlefish in captivity than one might think. There's an aquaculture department at Kentucky State University that has been working with paddlefish for years with a variety of objectives. That's not so far removed from keeping them in very large aquaria. I'm sure they have developed some interesting techniques and observations available in the literature, or on their own website.

#10 Guest_butch_*

Guest_butch_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2008 - 10:02 PM

Your opinion is fine but the fact that just because you can not keep them does not mean they are "public aquaria only fish". There are those out there that could keep them just fine and maybe add a good deal of knowledge to how to do so while at it. Your opinions and how you are formulating them is based on Wild fish standards (and your idea of what that may be and how it applies) and not on actual Captive conditions, experience, research or requirements. (Something which is little known or known of)

Sorry but as someone that does keep regularly fish such as Gars, lampreys, Sturgeon and other little known and "difficult" species. I personally find this view that wild equals captive very erroneous. I also find that not trying (or being prevented from doing so) is not productive to anything. It is fine if you do not wish to keep the fish but do not think your fully in the right to deny others the ability to do so or suggest it as such when the animal is fully legal..

That said... yes there are some that should not even think about these fish. Anyone that actually would need to ask a question about husbandry (As known) would be one. You do have to take some responsibility in what you purchase or keep in your possession. If you wish to keep an animal you should do so with the best that you can offer (in a perfect world). One should not take on things they do not truly wish to carry out fully. This is called personal responsibility....Something that unfortunately is lacking in todays culture.

Understood, just how long did the paddlefish live? And what you should feeding to the paddlefish beside trout chow? I had no problem with someone who can AFFORD their time for properly house monster fishes but most of us are "average" fishkeepers and we don't have 2000gal glass tank laying around here. And I don't have any problem with someone who do research on paddlefish before buy them. Their unique looks is the reason why some fishkeepers are attracted to. Remember paddlefish are NOT goldfish. They are not for beginners and I don't think im ready for the monster fishes or even the average gamefish as I don't have any space left. And I think that customers should have "B" plan before buy paddlefish, just in case they cannot properly care paddlefish in long terms and need to relocate paddlefish to new home such as public aquarium or someone with monster tanks.

#11 Guest_Brooklamprey_*

Guest_Brooklamprey_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 07:34 AM

There's probably more known about keeping paddlefish in captivity than one might think. There's an aquaculture department at Kentucky State University that has been working with paddlefish for years with a variety of objectives. That's not so far removed from keeping them in very large aquaria. I'm sure they have developed some interesting techniques and observations available in the literature, or on their own website.

There is a bit of good info out there in a number of journals (Including AC). I my opinion, however, there really is not enough that is not restricted to academia or fisheries professionals. There could also be much more in regards to small scale culture then there current is.

#12 Guest_NateTessler13_*

Guest_NateTessler13_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 09:34 PM

I thought maybe MAYBE nate tessler (sorry if I spelt your name wrong nate) might want one for his 19000 gallon tank??

Maybe I do!

#13 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2008 - 11:29 PM

I might add that the quality of care argument is a slippery slope. If a difficult species such as Paddlefish suffers a worse existence in captivity then so does a Topminnow and a Sunfish, and all fish keeping is unethical. I agree that careful consideration and personal responsibility are key. Remember, if you take it home for the sake of your hobby, it's biologically dead. Any fish you are willing to keep you should be willing to destroy.

#14 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:30 AM

Jeff,

I agree with just about everything you wrote previously with the exception comparing Paddlefish with Topminnows. I recognize, you were simply making a point but an average aquarist will own a 55 gallon tank (12" x 48" footprint). A killifish with a wild adult size of about 3" will have 4 times it's adult body length in the smallest dimension of the tank and 16 times body length on the long portion of the tank. If we accept that adult Paddlefish are roughly 60" (I know, they get larger) and want to apply the same ratios, a 20' x 81' footprint tank would be equivalent to a killifish in a 55 gallon tank. I have never actually witnessed a tank in a private collection that could house a Paddlefish.

I will admit that I'm one of "those guys" that prefers fish in tanks with ample room. This my personal opinion but at the same time, I'm just not the type to believe that people "should not own hatchery Paddlefish" since I've never seen a private tank that my personal prejudice feels should hold a Paddlefish.

I am the kind of guy to say....I doubt a single one of the Paddlefish sold in this auction will find a private tank that will allow the fish to attain half it's adult size.

#15 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 12:19 PM

Jeff,

I agree with just about everything you wrote previously with the exception comparing Paddlefish with Topminnows. I recognize, you were simply making a point but an average aquarist will own a 55 gallon tank (12" x 48" footprint). A killifish with a wild adult size of about 3" will have 4 times it's adult body length in the smallest dimension of the tank and 16 times body length on the long portion of the tank. If we accept that adult Paddlefish are roughly 60" (I know, they get larger) and want to apply the same ratios, a 20' x 81' footprint tank would be equivalent to a killifish in a 55 gallon tank. I have never actually witnessed a tank in a private collection that could house a Paddlefish.

I will admit that I'm one of "those guys" that prefers fish in tanks with ample room. This my personal opinion but at the same time, I'm just not the type to believe that people "should not own hatchery Paddlefish" since I've never seen a private tank that my personal prejudice feels should hold a Paddlefish.

I am the kind of guy to say....I doubt a single one of the Paddlefish sold in this auction will find a private tank that will allow the fish to attain half it's adult size.

Hi Uland,

I'll restate without the hyperbole, because I think we're saying the same thing. The difference in difficulty between one species and another is essentially incremental. Small, surmountable increments separate most Sunfish, for instance: some are undemanding while others are moderately difficult. There's a vast gulf between the requirements of Topminnows and Paddlefish however, which, like you said, is basically a matter of scale. If you can scale up your life support system (from hobby aquarium to artificial river) and your food supply (from flake food to plankton factory), you can probably make some advances with Paddlefish.

So, if you believe that Paddlefish must not be kept because they would be better off in the wild, or in institutions, then you can scale that same ethic down to demonize the keeping of difficult fish like Gar and Largemouths, or even easy ones like Topminnows and Sunfish. That's the point I disagree with. I think Butch is basically right in saying most folk's ought to leave Paddlefish be, and pointing out why. I myself would be very impressed by any hobbyist's success with the fish but highly critical of poorly thought out failures. Personal responsibility first!

#16 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:02 PM

I'm with you Jeff. I simply took advantage of your post to type something I started a day or so ago.

#17 Guest_mette_*

Guest_mette_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 01:10 PM

I'm with you Jeff. I simply took advantage of your post to type something I started a day or so ago.

I like it. Mottoes: "Less livestock, more gallonage" and "Personal responsibility first".

#18 Guest_Moontanman_*

Guest_Moontanman_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2008 - 09:21 PM

I'd take a fingerling paddle fish if I could get one but at $60 each plus shipping it's a bit high for me but anyone who thinks they are going to keep every fish they keep for it's entire natural life is being unrealistic. Most if not 99.9999% of fish kept in aquaria die far before their age limit and not only that the idea that every fish you keep is going to reach it's natural maximum size is just as unrealistic. I sometimes manage to keep fish past what would a normal life span, for minnows maybe but how many people are really going to keep a fish for the fifteen or twenty years it will live. How many people's fish get anywhere near the so called maximum adult size? I see the argument all the time on many other sites about keeping fish that get to be 3, 4,, 5, 6 or even 20 feet long. all i hear is how they are going to slowly grow the fish from one tank to another to keep up with it's growth. do they really, almost certainly not. I see far more dwarfed fish being kept for a fraction of their lives in too small aquariums. Is this bad, probably not. sometimes dwarfing a fish isn't all that bad for the fish. Even in the wild fish seldom reach either maximum size or age. Keeping a fish as healthy as you can and not biting off more than you can chew is probably the best anyone can be expected to do. If you don't have a 2 or 3 hundred gallon tank already or at least have the space and money to set one up then getting a fish that gets to be huge is not a good idea. Just be reasonable, don't allow your fantasy to get ahead of your ability. Don't buy an alligator gar if a 55 is probably the biggest tank you are going to be able to have. I keep fish in above ground swimming pools, (at least i used to) I am setting one up tomorrow when my son gets home from college. I have permission from the boss to build another large aquarium (in the 360 range) then again I've only be keeping fish for 45 years and negotiating with the boss for 32 years. Take good care of your fish, don't keep fish that are beyond your tank size and don't assume you are going to be able to keep that hogsucker for the next 25 years. concentrate on reasonable size for your tanks and reasonable care for your fish,. If you need perfection then the hobby becomes an anchor around your neck the fun fades and it's becomes another job to do after your real job. Oh yeah, don't rain on an others parade if they can get one of those fantasy fish because like the man said a fish in a tank is already dead, the best you can do is make sure you don't need to kill another one next week.

#19 Guest_Gambusia_*

Guest_Gambusia_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 05:21 PM

Just for the record in most states paddlefish are not protected.

You can snag them or fish for them.

#20 Guest_JohnO_*

Guest_JohnO_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2008 - 10:44 AM

Consider the nature of the particular fish as well. I can keep darters in a fairly small tank, as they're relatively stationary, and happy with a decent current and a rock to perch on and hide under. If I understand it correctly, a paddlefish is a roamer that wants to move constantly. By it's very nature, it will need a larger tank just to accomodate it's living habits, even if it's still fairly young.

BTW - a couple of years ago, Ky Fish&Game restocked a section of the KY river with paddlefish, after a Wild Turkey warehouse caught fire and quite a bit of bourbon got into the river. There was a fish kill, but they died with a smile. As I recall from photos taken at the time, the paddlefish they put in were about two feet long. Neat looking.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users