Central Mudminnows

6 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_redfinpickerel_*

Guest_redfinpickerel_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:08 PM

How big of a tank do u need to keep some central mudminnows and attempt to get them to spawn>?

#2 Guest_ashtonmj_*

Guest_ashtonmj_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 03:40 PM

Someone described their spawning of (eastern?) mudminnows earlier this year. Give a search a try or google.

#3 Guest_UncleWillie_*

Guest_UncleWillie_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

This post may need to be in the Pikes and Mudminnows section. But that aside, I beleive the central mudminnow (Umbra limi) will get around 5 inches. I am not sure if males and females pair up or not, but I know they move into shallow water and lay eggs on vegetation. I would imagine yu would want to stuff your tank full of plants and driftwood. I don't know what size tank you'd need, but maybe someone else can help - I know I wasn't much of that. Maybe a a couple of males and females in at least a 30+gallon tank? They spawn in early spring I believe.

#4 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:46 AM

Mikez previously outlined his expereinces here:

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4344

#5 Guest_jimv8673_*

Guest_jimv8673_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 November 2008 - 06:32 PM

Mikez previously outlined his expereinces here:

http://forum.nanfa.o...?showtopic=4344

Thanks for that link, Ive been thinking about this fish for some time and that link even firmed up more that i need a couple :smile2:

#6 Guest_smbass_*

Guest_smbass_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 09:28 AM

A 30 gallon sounds like overkill to me for 2-3 mudminnows. They don't usually reach anything close to the 5" in field guides. They are typically more along the lines of 2-3" and maybe a really big one 4". I think you could keep 3 in a 10 gallon tank with plenty of plants with out a problem.

#7 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 November 2008 - 12:35 PM

I think you could keep 3 in a 10 gallon tank with plenty of plants with out a problem.

I agree with this, I am not one for advocating tight spaces for fish, but a 10-gallon for three Umbra sp. is a good space.

Not to mention, those that have had them before and observed them know that they are not a schooling fish, in fact if you provide live plants (which really is a must) they just index the plants and stay perfectly still until being fed then they dart out, nab the food and return to "stalking".

30-gallon is nice, but is truly unnecessary for three Umbra sp. as Brian said.

Good luck,

Blake

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users