What's an adequate tank?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2008 - 08:26 PM

This is still in the works, but how big of a tank would I need for a trio of blackstripe topminnows, 2-4 darters, and a pair of central mudminnows. Would a 20 gallon be adequate? What is your prefered method of filtration? I wantt his tank to have no current. I was thinking about UGF/sponge filter, but I'm willing to change that. Anyone have any ideas how much the tank would cost to set up?

#2 Michael Wolfe

Michael Wolfe
  • Board of Directors
  • North Georgia, Oconee River Drainage

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:53 AM

Seems to me like it would work... You could put those topminnows and darters in a 10 gallon and be OK in my opinion... I have not kept mudminnows, but I assume that they might need a few more hiding places and use a little more of the top water areas... so if your 20 is a long, or low or whatever the L stands for, you should be OK...

As mentioned in the other post, you will need to keep your oxygen up if you are going to have no current for your darters, but they do seem to adapt to tank conditions pretty well... mine perch on plants to get to the top of the tank at feeding time... of course there are a few darters that live in less current...

This is still in the works, but how big of a tank would I need for a trio of blackstripe topminnows, 2-4 darters, and a pair of central mudminnows. Would a 20 gallon be adequate? What is your prefered method of filtration? I wantt his tank to have no current. I was thinking about UGF/sponge filter, but I'm willing to change that. Anyone have any ideas how much the tank would cost to set up?

Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing. - Benjamin Franklin

#3 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:55 PM

Seems to me like it would work... You could put those topminnows and darters in a 10 gallon and be OK in my opinion... I have not kept mudminnows, but I assume that they might need a few more hiding places and use a little more of the top water areas... so if your 20 is a long, or low or whatever the L stands for, you should be OK...

As mentioned in the other post, you will need to keep your oxygen up if you are going to have no current for your darters, but they do seem to adapt to tank conditions pretty well... mine perch on plants to get to the top of the tank at feeding time... of course there are a few darters that live in less current...

thanks for the reply, I'm going to look at tanks in the next couple of days.

#4 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:13 PM

In my opinion the footprint of a twenty-gallon aquarium is not lengthy enough to keep Fundulus olivaceus or Umbra limi long term. Thirty-six or forty-eight inch aquariums allow room for the Blackstripe Topminnows to chase each other and space for Mudminnows to conceal themselves. I recommend Hornwort and Java moss to start off.

#5 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 02:45 PM

I think someone mentioned it already....always check craigslist for tanks before diving into a new one (don't actually dive in unless its reeeeeaaally big though :rolleyes: )

http://sheboygan.cra.../775366673.html
http://sheboygan.cra.../775362250.html
and if you're really motivated
http://sheboygan.cra.../739650504.html

#6 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 July 2008 - 10:37 PM

I need a 20 gallon for this. And they cost just under 30$ in store. I would rather be able to take it back if it leaks then not.

ALSO:

I'm going to do gold/blue rams (dwarf chichlids) in this tank instead of blackstipe topminnows. Any problems with this?

edit: should I actually get a ugf, or just grav vac weekly and get a wheel filter+sponge filter?

Edited by Zephead4747, 31 July 2008 - 10:40 PM.

#7 Guest_Newt_*

Guest_Newt_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:18 AM

Rams need pretty high temps, right? I think this may be a problem for your darters.

#8 Guest_blakemarkwell_*

Guest_blakemarkwell_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:53 PM

Yes, Newt is right on Ram's needing high temperatures, also Ram's are pretty hard to take care of, they are really picky when it comes to water quality. Ram's are a fish I would keep away from natives and from what I hear if not given enough cover they can become pretty aggressive.

#9 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:58 PM

Ok, no rams. I have a pair of small green (bronze?) corys. I've read they are extrmely peacefull, and do well in the mid 70s as far as temprature goes. Will pick up ghost shrimp tomarow. Next week will pick up natives. Any suggestion on plant that can survive in a gravel tank?

#10 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:09 PM

Any suggestion on plant that can survive in a gravel tank?

Depends on lighting but I would recommend Java moss, Hornwort, Pellia, Jave fern, Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Ricca, Anubias etc... You may also want to experiment with Pothos, Syngonium podophyllum and Hemigraphis colorata.

Ok, no rams. I have a pair of small green (bronze?) corys. I've read they are extrmely peacefull, and do well in the mid 70s as far as temprature goes. Will pick up ghost shrimp tomarow. Next week will pick up natives.

So what natives have you decided on? Corydoras should work well in the aquarium.

#11 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Depends on lighting but I would recommend Java moss, Hornwort, Pellia, Jave fern, Water Sprite, Water Lettuce, Ricca, Anubias etc... You may also want to experiment with Pothos, Syngonium podophyllum and Hemigraphis colorata.
So what natives have you decided on? Corydoras should work well in the aquarium.

darters, and mudminnows. I might look for a livebearer (platy/molly) as well. I'm not sure though. I think a constant stream of baby fish every few weeks would keep my from having to get more rosy reds, and the adults may add to the aquarium. I'm not sure however. I may still get the blackstripes.

#12 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2008 - 11:27 PM

since I can't find the edit button....

I'm not using a UGF if I have live plants. I should have enough oxygen in the tank using a sponge filter and a biowheel. Correct?

#13 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 01:58 AM

darters, and mudminnows. I might look for a livebearer (platy/molly) as well. I'm not sure though. I think a constant stream of baby fish every few weeks would keep my from having to get more rosy reds, and the adults may add to the aquarium. I'm not sure however. I may still get the blackstripes.

I suggest using Mollies instead of Blackstripe Topminnows. A pair of Native Sailfins would work well and you're sure to enjoy them. Also, please try to stay away from feeding Rosy Reds and guppies. Like you mentioned, Mollies are livebearers. Any young, if desired, will be preyed upon by the Mudminnows. Make sure to feed other food items as well (For example, spirulina flake, blood worms and shrimp).

#14 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:08 AM

I suggest using Mollies instead of Blackstripe Topminnows. A pair of Native Sailfins would work well and you're sure to enjoy them. Also, please try to stay away from feeding Rosy Reds and guppies. Like you mentioned, Mollies are livebearers. Any young, if desired, will be preyed upon by the Mudminnows. Make sure to feed other food items as well (For example, spirulina flake, blood worms and shrimp).

Alright. We'll see what the fish look like when it's all stocked. And them I'll decide on the topminnows. I'm picking up algae wafers, or whatever the corys prefered food is tomarow. Anything else I should buy?

#15 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:32 AM

I'm not using a UGF if I have live plants. I should have enough oxygen in the tank using a sponge filter and a biowheel. Correct?

The undergravel or biowheel filter will work fine. The species mentioned are not usually placed into the substrate but will grow under moderate light, floating or attached to objects. Gravel only planted aquariums need to develop enough mulm in the substrate before species like Milfoil or Vallisneria can be added.

#16 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:49 AM

Alright. We'll see what the fish look like when it's all stocked. And them I'll decide on the topminnows. I'm picking up algae wafers, or whatever the corys prefered food is tomarow. Anything else I should buy?

Corydoras aren't very picky. I'm sure they prefer blood worms or shrimp/earthworm pellets but they'll eventually eat flake foods. Purchase frozen blood worms and a quality flake with spirulina.

#17 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 02:58 AM

Corydoras aren't very picky. I'm sure they prefer blood worms or shrimp/earthworm pellets but they'll eventually eat flake foods. Purchase frozen blood worms and a quality flake with spirulina.

my madre won't appreciate worms in the freezer.... Anything else?

#18 Guest_topminnow_*

Guest_topminnow_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:11 AM

No. What do you expect to feed the Darters and Mudminnows?

#19 Guest_Zephead4747_*

Guest_Zephead4747_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 03:41 AM

No. What do you expect to feed the Darters and Mudminnows?

freeze dried. I'll just hope she doesn't notice :)

Edited by Zephead4747, 02 August 2008 - 03:42 AM.

#20 Guest_scottefontay_*

Guest_scottefontay_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:30 AM

For what its worth, I would go with an appropriately sized Aquaclear HOB filter over a biowheel any day of the week...and twice on Wednesday. I have 5 of them right now, two of which are approaching near their 7 or 8 year anniversary. Filter sponge is rinsable and reusable for a long, long time too and there is ample space for placing additional filter media if desired.

Edited by scottefontay, 02 August 2008 - 09:30 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users