Are you a fish eater?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 08:20 AM

Just curious to see how many people eat fish, and if you eat fish you catch. I eat fish or shellfish on almost a weekly basis. I am an avid angler and must fish atleast once a week for my health. When fishing pulbic waters, I practice 99% of the time. When fishing a private, I keep fish when its healthy for the pond. With so many fisheries/fish populations in the world in serious trouble I like to know where the fish I eat comes from. I feel much better when I eat fish that I have harvested myself from a fishery that is sustainable. Anyway, fish is tasty.

#2 Guest_hmt321_*

Guest_hmt321_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 09:39 AM

Until about 4 years ago i would say that i ate fish about once or 2 times a week year round, in the spring, we go speck fishing and i eat fish a fair amout then.

I would say that some sort of fish or shell fish passes my lips at least every 3 weeks or so year round.

#3 Guest_sandtiger_*

Guest_sandtiger_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:25 PM

I don't much like the taste of fish so I never eat it. If a fish dies on the hook for whatever reason I sometimes cook it up though and have a taste.

#4 Guest_drewish_*

Guest_drewish_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 03:41 PM

Only if it is raw... sushi

I don't keep any of my fish that I catch but I will occasionally buy fish at a restaurant (salmon or tuna).

#5 Guest_Irate Mormon_*

Guest_Irate Mormon_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 November 2006 - 07:39 PM

I don't do rod and reel fishing anymore, but I can tear up a plate of fried catfish!

#6 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 08:55 AM

Mmmmm... brown trout.... =P~

#7 Guest_Enneacanthus_*

Guest_Enneacanthus_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 November 2006 - 10:10 AM

Catfish, trout, panfish but nothing from the oceans.

#8 Guest_edbihary_*

Guest_edbihary_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2006 - 12:14 PM

I love fish - in the tank or on the plate. I don't cook it, since I'm the only one in my house who likes it, but I frequently order it in restaurants. In fact, now that you mention it, I'm getting hungry for a fish sandwich with cheese and lots of tarter. I must be going...

#9 Guest_Demon_fish_*

Guest_Demon_fish_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2006 - 10:32 PM

Fish is my Favorite food i the whole world. I eat any fish i can find and i always try to find new fish i havnt eaten before.

#10 Guest_AndrewAcropora_*

Guest_AndrewAcropora_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:37 AM

I don't really like being able to classify what I'm eating...

But I have been known to eat the occasional piece of sushi or fried crappie.

#11 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 12:55 PM

I don't normally eat fish at all, but there is one exception... One of my favorite things in the whole world is sushi and sashimi. But I've cut back my intake to about once every month or so (a) because it's expensive and I am a poor, pitiful graduate student, and (b) I don't want to contribute to the over-exploitation of wild sea-faring fish populations.

#12 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:07 PM

You should try brook trout sashimi, or my favorite Gambusia sushi (the key freshness - make the roll while they are flopping)

#13 Guest_Histrix_*

Guest_Histrix_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:20 PM

You should try brook trout sashimi, or my favorite Gambusia sushi (the key freshness - make the roll while they are flopping)

I wonder why there aren't very many freshwater sashimi options? Perhaps there are issues with parasites... Or is raw Asian carp just plain nasty? :P

#14 Guest_dredcon_*

Guest_dredcon_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

I think some FW species would be worth trying, such as crappie, yellow perch, or some nice this bluegill filets. I have been very tempted to keep some of the american eels I catch to make some unagi rolls.

#15 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:06 PM

Hmm... what happens to yellow grub if it isn't cooked? (or, more properly, what happens to people who eat it?)

#16 Guest_Skipjack_*

Guest_Skipjack_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:09 PM

Hmm... what happens to yellow grub if it isn't cooked? (or, more properly, what happens to people who eat it?)

Adds a little extra zing!

#17 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 09:18 AM

I recall a case in japan where a woman consumed raw fish and shortly after felt a "tickle" near here throat. After some time she was hospitalized. The doctors found a "yellow grub" (Clinostomum) near her thyroid (I think). I believe this is the only recorded case in humans. With these odds I would worry too much but I shine a bright light through any raw fish I prepare as this will show the parasite easily.

#18 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 10:34 AM

I recall a case in japan where a woman consumed raw fish and shortly after felt a "tickle" near here throat. After some time she was hospitalized. The doctors found a "yellow grub" (Clinostomum) near her thyroid (I think). I believe this is the only recorded case in humans. With these odds I would worry too much but I shine a bright light through any raw fish I prepare as this will show the parasite easily.

You prepare raw fish? Sushi, I assume? Is there a special trick to doing it at home to be sure it is safe? I've always wanted to try, but I have this thing against illness...

#19 Guest_teleost_*

Guest_teleost_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 11:25 AM

You prepare raw fish? Sushi, I assume? Is there a special trick to doing it at home to be sure it is safe? I've always wanted to try, but I have this thing against illness...

Two part answer. I've never actually fully cooked quality tuna. I feel this is waste of a good piece of fish. I inspect the fish carefully at the market and nothing more. I use my nose more than my eyes and expect to pay $20 or more per pound for the high fat and fresh tuna. Years of cleaning freshly caught fish has trained my nose to recognize truly fresh fish. If you can't discern fresh from kind of fresh, preparing raw fish for yourself might not be the best idea. If the tuna is perfect I eat it in chunks (sashimi). If you're concerned about parasites you can cut the fish thinly and "light" it for problems. If the tuna is not quite up to par I grill it briefly at very high temperatures. If the fish doesn't smell appetizing raw (no fishy smell whatsoever) stay away from it.

When it comes to native fishes and sashimi I've found walleye and perch to be my personal favorite. Morone and the various small sunfish are pretty good also. Clinostomum is a very real concern here. I fillet the fish as usual then place very, very strong light between the fillet and my eyes. I rub the fillet (bend it) and look very closely at all sections of the fillet. If I can't see through the fillet then I slice it thinly. If I find any dark spots (even as small as pin head) I will not eat that fish raw or any fish from that water.

Some guys I know prefer ceviche instead of the straight raw fish especially when the fish come from muddy water. The marinade tends to kill some of the muddy taste. You should still "light" any fish used in a typical ceviche recipe and as always perfectly fresh fish.

As far as being concerned about illness... Aside from Clinostomum, bacteria is the biggest concern. If you catch the fish, clean and eat it promptly, bacteria shouldn't worry you. I would never eat store bought native fish raw or in a ceviche recipe. The stuff I see in the Midwest isn't even close to fresh.

Also recognizing typical Clinostomum waters will help reduce wasting of fish. Shallow vegetated water with a bunch of Herons should tell you right away to stay away from these fish. Naturally I inspect all fish fillets (even for cooking) from all water even those that I wouldn't expect to find yellow grub.

#20 Guest_nativeplanter_*

Guest_nativeplanter_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2006 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Teleost! Now that I think about it, when we (rarely) buy tuna, we only very lightly grill it. I don't expect to be able to buy fish fresh enough here in Athens, GA, but maybe after we move to coastal VA. I assume our local very warm waters could be parasite havens for freshwater eating.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users